The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Default Material Moving

Purchased the EZ-one workbench recently and I am having issues with material moving (causing cuts to not be squared). When I let the track fall on the material, the forward movement of the track will push the material forward. I have the material referenced on the edge of the first rail expecting square cuts. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:00 PM

Without material under the track, does it lay perfectly flat on the surface of the cross supports? It not, it will pull the material when lowered.

I always make sure the material is flush with the side fence before cutting, even though it rarely moves on me.

I usually adjust the lay of the track by loosening the track fasteners on the far end (from the handle), make sure the track at the handle end is down on the surface, and then with the far end down on the surface, I tighten the far end track connectors.

Hope that helps...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-01-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanks Dik. I will check to see if the track lays flat. If it is not, I will adjust as you indicated. BTW, I meant to say "flush with side fence" instead of edge of first rail, but I could not think of the words at the time.

On another note, I used the SSRK (Router mount) last night and it too would move the material. Again material flush with the side fence. Should I be using the 6 way stops or should the track hold the material in place?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Sawdust and aluminum are a slippery combination. I've found the levering action of the track's arcing movement can sometimes nudge the material forward. I tend to keep a little pressure on the piece while lowering the track, then give it a quick check before cutting.

I've also made a habit of lightly pulling up on the track's handle, while checking it doesn't shift the wood, before beginning the cut and I continue the pressure, if possible, during the cut as well.

Lastly, I always use clamps or stops when using the SSRK. There are just too many ways for the material to get shifted while using it.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:38 PM

In the past I have seen some have their fence stops at the far side so the bridge motion pushes the work piece tighter against the fence but I have never done this.

What I did was make a "T" square like tool to pull the work piece against the fence while lowering the bridge - works great for me.

Mike
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM

If the material you're cutting isn't too thin you might consider using the EZ Smart clamps ($12-$18) or even the EZ Bench clamps ($26-$28) slid onto the sliding rails to hold down the material while cutting. Maybe one on each side of the cut line.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Thank you all for the feed back. I did as Dik suggested and the guide was laying perfectly flat on the rails. Never thought about aluminum and sawdust, thanks aaronp for the tip to hold the material while lowering the guide. That seemed to work well. I did a test 5 cut test and the measurements were very close to perfect. Less than 1/16. i will incorporate some stops and clamps for my SSRK. The issue is staying out of the way of the router.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrewton View Post
The issue is staying out of the way of the router.
In an earlier post in the Power Bench section I had mentioned the idea of replacing the knobs on the 6-way stops with some kind of headless bolt - maybe one that tightens using a hex key - so I can shorten the height of the 6-way stop for use with the router.

I was told that such a bolt is available at most hardware stores ... but I have yet to get there to check it out.

Such as device might help you trap the material without getting in the way of the router.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Some findings:
So I have tried a few things to try to keep my material still during the route. I would clamp a piece of scrap on each side of the material perpendicular to the router cut. What I found was that the material would get pulled towards the bit. to stop this, i put another piece of scrap on the ends parallel to the cut. I think this solved my issue.

For the track saw cuts I fix the issue with material moving, however, I noticed a bevel on the cut. left of 90 degrees like this \. I check everything and noticed that the blade guard was causing the saw to lift tilting it to the left. To solve that I zipped tie the guard open. This did not fix the bevel. Spent another 30 minutes leveling out the track, check all the bolts. I could not find anything wrong with the EZ-1. Then i thought, if I wanted to make a bevel cut with a CS, what would I do. Bingo.... My saw blade was not square to the base. Moral of the story, "If you assume your blade is square, it isn't."
Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Sorry if you already know this but many, including, myself have squared the blade to the base and still had your issues. Ends up the anti-chip on the base is causing this and if you ride it several times over a piece of sandpaper you should be square again.

Mike