The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
So, how is this intended to be used? You just move it between a couple of supports and cut away?
Previous post probably answers your question.

For now, I am content to stick with this setup pretty much as is, with the plank in the jawhorse as a table.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
Has anyone ever considered a side mounted bridge?
The setup I had previously used for cutting acute angles was technically a side-mounted bridge of the sort you describe...about the lamest possible implementation, but still. I used two binder clips with the wire lever arms taken off as sliders in the edge of a short section of track, and a ball bungee to pull it against a fence. It was a marginal setup for a narrow application. I think you were envisioning something a bit more substantial and versatile...

Of course, now that the topic is raised, all sorts of things are rattling around in my imagination. Even before that, I had begun thinking about setting up a long bridge on a 10' plank, using the double hinge armature, so I could rip 8' lumber in one pass. I need to make a bunch of laths.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcase View Post
The setup I had previously used for cutting acute angles was technically a side-mounted bridge of the sort you describe...about the lamest possible implementation, but still. I used two binder clips with the wire lever arms taken off as sliders in the edge of a short section of track, and a ball bungee to pull it against a fence. It was a marginal setup for a narrow application. I think you were envisioning something a bit more substantial and versatile...

Of course, now that the topic is raised, all sorts of things are rattling around in my imagination. Even before that, I had begun thinking about setting up a long bridge on a 10' plank, using the double hinge armature, so I could rip 8' lumber in one pass. I need to make a bunch of laths.

Remember this thing? https://youtu.be/3S2UMxaT950

What if it were mounted to the long side of bench and had 30" arms (to comfortably reach the center of a 4x8).

Same mechanism -- arms slide in and out to adjust cut. It won't be narrow workshop friendly, but it would rip like a dead wood table saw.

It would need to be a temporary fixture so the table can be converted back to a traditional cross cutter with stops. But the beauty of it is, since the fence is attached to the arms and track, it would not need to be square to the table when reattaching.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 03-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Actually, if you throw on a removeable fence (perpendicular to the track) with a traditional flip stop, you could keep the track as a permanent fixture.

The table could be pretty small and the track only needs to be about 36"

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...