The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 PM

Default Building My PBB

It would seem that I don't need the depth of cut as much as width and ability to set reproducible stops. My idea is a fence that acts as a story stick with multiple flip down stops... Or something of that ilk.

I am planning on mounting the bridge as near the leg as possible so that the there is lots of room to the non blade side. And it will be cutting along the 24" width as opposed to the 48" length.

As you can see I have a void along the "apron" between the legs. I plan on spanning that perhaps all the way end to end. Just thinking out loud. Would it make sense to span those legs with something that would be higher than the top so that it could be both span and the squaring fence? Or might it be better to simply span it at the same height as the rest of it and mount something, perhaps angle iron. on top of it so that it could be squared to the bridge better?

Other options I have considered would be a piece of 80/20 or possibly some other extrusion perhaps one that EZ produces? I guess I am just fishing for ideas before I just slap a 2x6 on there and complain later to people who say "Why didn't you just do XYZ?"

Image of my table structure should be attached, but I never remember how to do the images here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	7271  
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 PM

Here is a Sketchup drawing of the PBB I was planning to build - have since gone in another direction, but still using some of the ideas. The way I planned to set it up was to have the bridge pivots/track "fixed" and be able to adjust the fence perpendicular to the track using the embedded t-tracks. Also, the fence would be at the top of the table so that I would naturally "push" the material tight against the fence, as well as the saw blade doing this. The t-tracks shown to the right were intended to hold the fence parallel to the track and be used for ripping narrower parts - my main use for the PBB was in cutting panels, ripped using the UEG, to final length.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PBB Base_Alt2.pdf (38.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:30 PM

Thanks, that is helpful. I am thinking towards something simpler but seeing different things helps a lot.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 AM

Looks good Tom.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-25-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanks Dik. There's actually a little input from you in the design. The one I'm using at the moment had the Festool (sorry) dog hole pattern in it and I'm using dogs at 90 to get the straight/square cuts but will be setting up the bridge strictly to use the SSRK for cutting dadoes. I use the UEG for ripping full sheets down to manageable size and then to the PBB to cut the parts to length.