The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn1 View Post
Js, How do you go about checking for leaks I heard no weard sounds like air puffing from any area lol is there a better way to be sure.

I have so mutch PL on there it better not leak.

Now as I think mike was talking about performance I know bills plans are not for Hi fedelity sound and I'm not sure it is better if so. I guess his plans are more for the pro or live sound and I also use a set of k12's from qsc witch cost about a thousand each for a 12" speaker but I bet the DR200 or DR250 would blow the doors off of them will see down the road.

A lot of times its not so mutch the speaker's its wear you put them for each room having a good amp that can look after your high's med's and lows would go a long way in getting good results from less of a speaker.

I really do think mutch of the home sterio systems at one time I owned a 7 thousand dollar home system made by Rotel witch had a good name and yes the sound was pretty good till I started DJing my pro DJ system for half the price blows the rotel system out of the water.

I like Bills because he helps other make really good sound at a third of the price to buy anything close.

I also know what sounds good to one persons ear may not sound good to another. I find all the numbers involved is a lot to take in for sure.
Usually with a sub I test it a safe volume and use a DVD or Blu-ray with a long passage with a lot of LFE. Then I feel around all the seams of the box and listen for unusual bass. When I say unusual I had one leak that sounded like a burp/fart, no joke the sub sounded fine for most frequencies then all of a sudden
Make sure whatever your test material is you know it well and how it sounds in your system normally.

With ported/horn subs the only air moving should be coming out of the throat/port area. Most likely spots for leaks is around the driver, seams of cabinet & the plate amp or terminal cup.

You could do it outside with those draft test smoke bottles. We use them at work to test ventilation/exhaust systems not sure if the hardware store would have them or not.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 PM

I use a couple of tricks to check for leaks, in addition to an impedance measurement.

I start a sine-wave signal, then turn it up until the cone is moving quite a bit. I then use a piece of hose (like aquarium hose) held to my ear as a stethoscope to check seams and screw-heads. The leaks make a lot of noise.

Sometimes I use a flame from a lighter or match too. If it flickers, you've got an issue.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks Guys I have run the speaker over and over and it sounds ok so far.
We have a 3 day gig or 3 days in the same place will try it out there and see how things go. Just have some touch up paint and we are done.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpiechowski View Post
I start a sine-wave signal, then turn it up until the cone is moving quite a bit. I then use a piece of hose (like aquarium hose) held to my ear as a stethoscope to check seams and screw-heads. The leaks make a lot of noise.
This. 30 HZ at 12 volts. Listen with a short hose up to your ear. It's easy to hear the leaks. Happy to say I didn't have any leaks when I tested Saturday!

By the way, John, IITP.

BFM inside joke...