The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 12-31-2014, 06:18 PM

1. The blade is supposed to cut that part to provide anti chip protection on the side of the cut.
2. You almost always have to trim some to allow for guard clearance. If you can, the saw could be moved forward to reduce the amount that must be cut away for guard clearance.
3. You are correct.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-07-2015, 03:35 AM

Default Final cut pieces to allow full clearance of guard during plunge

Just following up on my earlier post about fitting the rear splitter fin onto the base used with a Makita MGA5008 (i.e. 8 1/4" blade). Attached are some pictures of what I did. I'm left with a smaller fin but I figure that's better than no fin at all.

The plastic is easy to cut but, but I wanted to keep as much of the material as possible to maintain it's rigidity. There wasn't much fin left after making the necessary cut-away so I glued that to the rear insert plate. Overall I'm quite pleased, now the guard retracts fully during a plunge and I hopefully have enough of the splitter present to perform it's anti-kickback function.

Hopefully others with this saw or considering making mods will find this useful.

Dino - would you consider making a custom base for the 8.25" Makita? I presume that in the demos with the big saws with 10" or 16" blades, there was no splitter on the back? or were those custom base plates?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting tools_1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	6583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full guard clearance_1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	6585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimming of the fin_1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	6586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Piece with fin_1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	6587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final cut piece_1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	6588  

Last edited by alex.flood@gmail.com; 01-07-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Does anyone but me find it odd.
That since EZ has been promoting the use of and selling the 5008 for years that when they designed their new Base they didn't make it to fit the 5008.
Also that Dino said EZ was working on and promised a fix, about a year ago, and so far nothing.
That when forum members ask EZ through this forum what to do regarding this problem there is silence from EZ.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 AM

Default to fin or not to fin?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the issue of the base/fin makita 8 1/4" saw has been solved? I might get that Makita in the future if it has been worked out. I am thinking of marrying the 8 1/4" to the UEG and putting the 10 1/4" on the EZ one..

I see that the Moduni is NOT designed with a fin.

I would imagine that the fin is critical if cutting material vertically.

What are your thoughts about the safety factor in making cuts horizontally and supported without having the fin?

Now I am going to put my ignorance on full display....... If "kickback" were to occur using the CS does the saw charge backwards toward the operator, or does it lurch forward? I have had the unpleasant experience of "kickback" on a table saw which is not fun.

thanks,
Jim
Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Don't cut vertically. Have never use the fin. Have never had a kick back with EZ.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the issue of the base/fin makita 8 1/4" saw has been solved? I might get that Makita in the future if it has been worked out. I am thinking of marrying the 8 1/4" to the UEG and putting the 10 1/4" on the EZ one..

I see that the Moduni is NOT designed with a fin.

I would imagine that the fin is critical if cutting material vertically.

What are your thoughts about the safety factor in making cuts horizontally and supported without having the fin?

Now I am going to put my ignorance on full display....... If "kickback" were to occur using the CS does the saw charge backwards toward the operator, or does it lurch forward? I have had the unpleasant experience of "kickback" on a table saw which is not fun.

thanks,
Jim
Jim.
The Fin is nice to have but no need unless you cut vertically.
When dealing with large panels and my bad back...the Fin is a lifesaver.

Last week I was in Ocala testing some ideas.
One of them was to cut the ez base in half in order to fit larger saws on the ez base. No problem.
The other was to have a perfect square installation.
To square the blade to the smart base because almost all saws are out of square. Use the fin , the blade and a small straight edge.

Another idea was to pre-mill 2 extra flat inserts and drop the blade on the kerf.
That was Bruce's idea.

Good luck. If you cut the base and extend it by 1" you may have to make new holes for the UEG handle.
All the above are temp. fixes but they do work nicely.

thanks
d
Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 PM

If you're going to cut vertically you're going to need something to prevent gravity from closing the kerf. I think a piece of shim stock would do it.
Cutting horizontally maybe wood with some stress in it might close the kerf, use shim stock.
I've blades both narrower and wider than the Fin, until there are different thickness Fins available I don't bother with it.