The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Woodworking Software

Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Glad you gave them a look Phil. Aidan Chopra's was at Google as the product evangelist for Sketchup. Not sure what he's doing now that Google has sold Sketchup. He knows Sketchup in and out and has been teaching people how to use it for years. So he knows what people get hung up on and what concepts they need to understand to make the leap to getting how it works. And I also loved how he constantly and consistently repeats back the basic stuff as he goes through everything he teaches in those videos. So by the end the repetition has been enough that the basics of using Sketchup have been drilled into your head.

I bought the book after I'd watched all the videos. Didn't really teach me anything the videos didn't cover. If you wanted to do more with layout and what not it might, but for just using Sketchup the videos are all you need.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Cool Sketchup

I don't know if it is due to my age or old school training like Phil. But I find it extremely confusing and every time I try to use it, (Only get 10 free tries) I end up doing something else. Originally I downloaded it to print out plans from Ron Paulk for his workbenches. But I'd like to use it to design a little bit. At least the projects I intend to build more than one of, in the beginning that is. Maybe I'll get rich selling my designs eh? . Anyway, I am going to tryout the tutorials mentioned above and see if I have a break through.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM

I think the 10 free uses are for the pro version. As far as I know, the basic version is still free forever. I use it on my laptop, but have pro on my main computer.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM

The hardest thing for me is getting past my brain thinking in 2 D. I sure wish they had a 2D version to design with, then switch to 3 D for modeling view. My old drafting class in HS kicking in. Old habits are hard to get rid of.