The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Default Cabinetmaker redo

The introduction of the EZ1 Max got me thinking. Pretty much came to the conclusion that the UEG + Cabinetmaker was a better (and much cheaper) way to cut up big panels. Which got me thinking about the Cabinetmaker. It's a great concept but only works OK. The Square is finicky and the Repeater part clunky. IMO if really wants do do something good they should make a Square that works instead of just selling a piece of extrusion and a couple chunks of connector and calling it a Square . Also redesign the Repeater to minimize size and weight and do a more rigid material stop.
Like I said before a great concept and, I think, with some updating and rethinking could be a great tool
Old 09-03-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
The introduction of the EZ1 Max got me thinking. Pretty much came to the conclusion that the UEG + Cabinetmaker was a better (and much cheaper) way to cut up big panels. Which got me thinking about the Cabinetmaker. It's a great concept but only works OK. The Square is finicky and the Repeater part clunky. IMO if really wants do do something good they should make a Square that works instead of just selling a piece of extrusion and a couple chunks of connector and calling it a Square . Also redesign the Repeater to minimize size and weight and do a more rigid material stop.
Like I said before a great concept and, I think, with some updating and rethinking could be a great tool
Until I get my PBB made - not sure how long I've been saying that - I've had no trouble breaking down 4 x 8 sheets and cutting up parts using just the UEG and the Cabinet Maker. I also found the repeater cumbersome so I made my own. I had EZ (Thanks Laney) make me a longer part, and then made a moveable stop for cutting repetitive parts. I settled on a length that would let me cut base cabinet sides (34-1/2" if you don't use a separate base) but you could always join another section of SME to make it longer. Here are a couple of photos showing what I made - to set up, I make a mark at the length required, set the Cabinet Maker on the sheet with the ACE lined up with the pencil mark and clamp in place. The stop is then moved over until it contacts the end of the sheet and locked in place. Cut the first part, slide it out from under, move the Cabinet Maker over until the stop hits the end of the sheet and so on. I may have gotten a little carried away (never been accused of under-building anything) but it's good and solid and gives repeatable lengths. Just so you know - I came up with the idea for cutting panels to length and that's all I used it for, and the length as built is limited to cutting "standard" cabinet part lengths. It works great for my intended use.

BTW Repeater for sale - excellent condition, only used once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2538.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	6690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3036.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6691  
Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 PM

Great idea. That's a really clean set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Until I get my PBB made - not sure how long I've been saying that - I've had no trouble breaking down 4 x 8 sheets and cutting up parts using just the UEG and the Cabinet Maker. I also found the repeater cumbersome so I made my own. I had EZ (Thanks Laney) make me a longer part, and then made a moveable stop for cutting repetitive parts. I settled on a length that would let me cut base cabinet sides (34-1/2" if you don't use a separate base) but you could always join another section of SME to make it longer. Here are a couple of photos showing what I made - to set up, I make a mark at the length required, set the Cabinet Maker on the sheet with the ACE lined up with the pencil mark and clamp in place. The stop is then moved over until it contacts the end of the sheet and locked in place. Cut the first part, slide it out from under, move the Cabinet Maker over until the stop hits the end of the sheet and so on. I may have gotten a little carried away (never been accused of under-building anything) but it's good and solid and gives repeatable lengths. Just so you know - I came up with the idea for cutting panels to length and that's all I used it for, and the length as built is limited to cutting "standard" cabinet part lengths. It works great for my intended use.

BTW Repeater for sale - excellent condition, only used once.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 AM

I have mentioned this a few times too. After the second phase UEG came out I just use it and the square for sheet goods. I also leave my Makita 18V 6-1/2" saw attached to the UEG. This saw basically sat gathering dust till I put it on the UEG. You get good deph of cut too since the saw base rides the wood and not a rail.

I too really never mastered the cabinetmaker so use the square instead.

I was getting close to selling my EZ1 until I recently needed it to cut several dados in some ply for a couple of shelving units. I used the SSRK and Burt's setup method.

Mike