The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Woodworking Software

Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Free Sheet Layout Optimization

Optimalon

Came across this the other day. Very capable and gives great layouts. Works entirely online. Takes into account pretty much everything you need it to (saw kerf, parts direction, if you need to trim the panels, select from 5 different levels of cut complexity vs best use of material and a bunch of other stuff). For 99% of what I'm doing the free version will work and on the rare occasion I want a pro feature I"ll just subscribe for 1 month to pro for $10.

The only major thing the free version is missing for projects I'd do is the ability to import from a spreadsheet. The amount of time it will save vs figuring out a layout yourself though easily offsets the amount of time it takes to hand enter all your parts. And if I start doing it enough I'll just write a python script to enter all the parts for me :P

Think of a project as all your parts for a particular material thickness. Then in the panel sizes you can add any partial panels you have laying around and it will help you make the best use of them.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 AM

Thanks! I checked it out. Looks promising. I've been frustrated lately by the amount of time spent in laying out my cuts to keep waste (aka. cost) down. Just saving 10% in time and material would be huge.

Last edited by Tracedfar; 01-18-2016 at 02:40 AM.