The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Woodworking Software

Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM

Default SketchUp

As I'm sure most of you know, I use SketchUp for everything I design and build. I'm offering to try to answer any questions you may have.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Default Sketch up woodworkers

Are there plans already completed in Sketch Up for woodworkers? I have used Sketch List and a couple of others. They have dimension lines and such for plans, which is my background, and most comfortable working from plans. I have Cabinet Cruncher that I am trial testing now. It is a spread sheet based cutlist for cabinetmakers.

I have also noticed a couple new books on Sketch Up. Has anyone had any experience with the books or DVD's on Sketch Up?

Phil
Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM

When I first tried to use Sketchup I was incredibly frustrated. I couldn't get it to do anything I wanted. Thought it was almost useless. Then about 6 months after that first attempt I found these videos (that go along with Aidan Chopra's Sketchup for Dummies) and watched most of them (chapter 2 being the most important and 3-7, 16 showing you more of what it can do). After watching/following along with the videos, as an exercise to get used to it, I spend a bunch of time modelling up my garage and just about everything in it. After that I was really comfortable modelling up stuff for projects and planning.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Yes I find it a neat program but not good at it for sure can go through plans fine but making them is another thing.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM

While there are many free video tutorials on YouTube, the most useful (and organized) tutorials I have found are at www.lynda.com. You can find most every program out there in the list of videos and they are accurate, complete and beneficial. Each program is divided down to topic videos and are only about 10 - 15 minutes each and they are version specific. I use it for many design programs that I use and you can get a complete answer quickly by searching by keyword for the solution to your problem. It costs only $25/month, on a month by month basis for the entire site, so if you want to learn it all in a month that is all it will cost you.

They have tutorials on several versions of Sketchup as well as SketchUp Pro.

Last edited by TallJim27; 08-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Default Agree

I agree with you. I have been a Lynda.com member since 2004 (off and on). The quality of instruction is tops and the better level is the monthly subscription with the add on files ( at least for programmers).

My problem with Sketch Up is that I was trained old school. Pencil, paper, and drafting tools. I have quite a few credit hours in both high school and college in drafting. Some habit just do not seem to change very easily. The jump from paper to screen is very hard for me. I have Sketch List (which is pretty good woodworking CAD program, championed by Rockler). I also have Design List, and Turbo CAD. Neither of which do I like. The big help that I like out of the CAD programs are the cut list sheet goods layouts. I find they can save me a bunch of time, when everything is up and running. I really like having software but only to eliminate the tedium of lists and some of the layout features. I say some of the layout because some of the layout programs do not "think" and just stack the sizes and go. Way too much waste.

Phil
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 PM

For me the bigger part than the cut lists and part lists is the ability to quickly mock up ideas and go through several iterations visualizing a complete project in 3D. You can check sight lines, mock up the space it will be placed in, check fits and for interference, paths parts will swing through, etc. I find there are significantly fewer changes, or wish I'd done that differently once I've thought something through by modelling it in Sketchup.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM

Default You Might Be Right?

You might be right -- I really wouldn't know. My woodworking projects are pretty simple or straight forward. Cabinets, shelves, work benches. Those sorts or things. Nothing too complex, so I really do not have that many things I can design wrong, where a model would have helped. I am trained as an electrician where the work is still lines and code. Not too much need for models. I will probably have to learn modeling and then discover I really do like green eggs and green ham.

Phil
Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 AM

Default Good videos

Dustin:
You are right the videos do help a great deal. There are those than can teach and those that can not. The videos you recommend are very good and I would think if anyone wants to learn Sketch Up they would benefit greatly from the videos and the book.
Sketch Up ties into Cabinet Cruncher and Cutlist so this will be interesting to see how this will all play out.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM

I have this ebook, but am embarrassed to say I have not worked my way through it yet. I have read the first few chapters but not done the exercises. It seems to be a very well written book that includes some models to work through. I hope to find the time this winter to go through it.

http://www.tauntonstore.com/sketchup...ok-077846.html