The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Sound System Cabinetwork

Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 PM

Default Bevel Bits

Eagle America sells 22.5 deg lock miter bits and they sell straight angles in 60/30, 45/45, 67.5 / 67.5 degree bits.. Not a variable set it where you wish, but a few more options than just the corner bit.

I have used the miter bits at 22.5 deg. and they are workable. I made come columns and some flower "buckets" for hanging baskets. everything seemed to work fine. At least everything fit good.

Phil
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 AM

I would need to look at Bills plans but none of them would do. What is needed for speakers is a manual setup to what ever the plans say and there could be 4 or 5 different bevels for each plan.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 AM

Default Not my bailiwick!

I suppose it comes through -- my ignorance of the sound cabinet bevel needs. That is why the original question. I like using the router, when possible. I have a band saw, dual bevel miter saw and table saw. Each has their issues, and deflection is one of those problems that is always cropping up. I have yet to have a deflection problem on my router table. I have had positioning and stabilization issues but deflection -- no. On the other side -- it matters little if you have zero deflection or tool spring, and not be able to produce the angle required.

Still learning --
Phil
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
I suppose it comes through -- my ignorance of the sound cabinet bevel needs.
Not all speaker builders require the ability to do bevel cuts at various angles. That is a requirement for people building horn loaded speaker boxes. A lot of the people that are speaker builders on the EZ forum have come over from the BFM forum. Bill's plans are all horn loaded, thus the constant requests for better bevel cutting solution.

This is not my build, its just a photo of a partially completed cabinet from the BFM forum to illustrate why the ability to easily set and cut various bevels is important to us.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM

I must admit, I had to take out the table saw for my latest project . Too many bevel cuts
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 PM

JS,Good shot on what is needed and why.
Maybe this year will be the year. With the new laws and florida
taken some time to get going we just may see all the new toys.

I would like to see the planer option also come about this year.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
I must admit, I had to take out the table saw for my latest project . Too many bevel cuts
I hobbled thru my last few projects using various tricks for lining up my bevels and cutting with the EZ-One.

I might build my own bevel base borrowing ideas that Dino posted earlier. Might be a fun winter time project.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM

got very sloppy with the PL premium, but this is my first time working with it. more concerned with making sure i have no leaks. won't see it from the outside anyway . i'm going to build a square speaker grill "cap" to cover the end. i'll design it like the ohm walsh covers:

Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
got very sloppy with the PL premium, but this is my first time working with it. more concerned with making sure i have no leaks. won't see it from the outside anyway . i'm going to build a square speaker grill "cap" to cover the end. i'll design it like the ohm walsh covers
Looking good! T60, right?

I use way a lot of PL also, but I have never had a cab leak other than at the access cover so I don't think you can apply too much PL.

I like the look of the horn mouth cover. Is the cab for home use?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM

it's a table tuba long style . yup it's for home use. just going to sand and seal the baltic birch. it'll match my raw birch la scalas