The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Dino Dino is offline
Master Carpenter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 5,017
Exclamation The cabinetmaker Cutting on the right side of the blade

The ez cabinetmaker. Pic's and instructions
For cutting the good piece on the right side of the blade.

P#1. Make a squaring/trimming cut.

The panel manufactures are in the business of making panels.
Not making square panels. This is a very well known FACT.
Our very first cut MUST be a squaring/trimming/cleaning cut.

P#2. Make your mark.
In this pic. I want my good piece (keeper/usable) at 6".
I want my good piece to be at the right side of the blade
( Easier to reset the system by sliding the rail to the left and the good piece is out of the way)

P#3. Position/slide the rail (with the saw on it) to the mark.

You want the right side (teeth) of the blade to touch the left side of the line.
( yes, the ez system is very accurate and the lines have sides)

P#4. Adjust and lock the the cabinetmaker.

Slide the extrusions until the flip stop hits the panel. (Take it easy here)
Lock the sliding extrusions and lock the system.

P#5.Make ther cut.
We use the cabinetmaker for repeat cuts.
If only one cut needed, there is no reason to set the cabinetmaker,
Just use the square.

The Ez Cabinetmaker ( with the help of the ez guys ) is very strong, compact and very accurate.
The Capacity on the right side of the blade is 36"+. If you need more, give us a call.


Time for an INFACT?

A similar design by our competition offers only 8" capacity on the right side and 25"? 26"? on the left.
The problem with this limitation is that for anything beyond 8"
(80-90% off the cuts) their users have to:



Lift the rail and the saw.
Remove the good piece.
Place the rail and the saw on the mark again...
...while fighting with the non skid tape that don't allow the rails to easily slide on the mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setting the cabinetmaker-1.jpg
Views:	1953
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setting the cabinetmaker-2.jpg
Views:	1731
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setting the cabinetmaker-3.jpg
Views:	1855
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setting the cabinetmaker-5.jpg
Views:	1729
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setting the cabinetmaker-6.jpg
Views:	1678
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	133  

__________________
ycf dino
eurekazone.

Last edited by Dino; 08-23-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 AM
vmizera vmizera is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Dino-

I'm looking at this old post trying to figure out what the new
approach with the repeaters is and I'm thinking that the only
way that this works is if the AC1 or AC2 is removed. While
this enables you to see the mark it also takes away the anti
chip protection on the right side of the blade. I don't have
the new Moduni base but I'd imagine that you would run into
a worse problem there since that is one piece.

I know that the adjusting screw and locknut on the previous
repeaters was an imperfect solution and taking away any slop
in the system is a good idea, but at the expense of cut quality?

One could glue a washer or coin to the stop but that seems
like an inelegant solution. Other forum members: how have
you approached this?

Vic Mizera
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Dino Dino is offline
Master Carpenter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 5,017
Default

Vic,
The insert (AC-2) can be easily removed ( if needed ) and slide it back again.
It takes no time to remove the inserts and edges from the ez rails.
I don't see a problem.
Remember that the repeaters and cabinetmaker are designed for multiple cuts.
For one cut, use the rails without the repeaters.
Thanks.
__________________
ycf dino
eurekazone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:49 PM
jgowrie jgowrie is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 115
Default

I understand the concept, but in practice there are problems with cutting and good piece on the right side of the blade when using the repeater.

I was cutting down some plywood rips today as I am building some cabinets. I had two pieces cut at 30" for the sides and then the left over I wanted 31.5".. However, with putting the good piece to the right side of the blade, the square has no support left. If I was only cutting one piece then I just set it up with keeper under the track but there are 4 cabinets, all the same size and I was using the repeater for this.. After realizing how the repeater doesn't work well in this situation, I moved it so I could keep my good piece under the track and that is how I find the repeater to be its most useful. I don't mind lifting the cabinet maker to remove my stock as much as I minded not being able to use the repeater with the last cuts I needed to make.

Maybe this is just another example of old habits that won't die, but I just don't see the major benefit of putting the good piece to the right side of the blade. It's like setting up a table saw so the scrap piece is between the blade and fence... who does that
__________________
John Gowrie
Professional Trimmer/Woodworker - Suffern, NY
www.customdartcabinets.com
www.johngowrie.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2014, 01:20 PM
sean9c sean9c is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,205
Default

If my keeper is wide enough I always set up so it's under the track.
A little OT but IMO a UEG or Ripsizer an Cabinetmaker is the ideal combination to make cab parts. Using a EZ-1 for that just adds to the material handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
I understand the concept, but in practice there are problems with cutting and good piece on the right side of the blade when using the repeater.

I was cutting down some plywood rips today as I am building some cabinets. I had two pieces cut at 30" for the sides and then the left over I wanted 31.5".. However, with putting the good piece to the right side of the blade, the square has no support left. If I was only cutting one piece then I just set it up with keeper under the track but there are 4 cabinets, all the same size and I was using the repeater for this.. After realizing how the repeater doesn't work well in this situation, I moved it so I could keep my good piece under the track and that is how I find the repeater to be its most useful. I don't mind lifting the cabinet maker to remove my stock as much as I minded not being able to use the repeater with the last cuts I needed to make.

Maybe this is just another example of old habits that won't die, but I just don't see the major benefit of putting the good piece to the right side of the blade. It's like setting up a table saw so the scrap piece is between the blade and fence... who does that
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
jgowrie jgowrie is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 115
Default

Sean,

I was very happy with the combo of UEG and Cabinet Maker together. I'm just always puzzled by how many users of the EZ system put the keeper piece off to the right of the blade...

I am going to order a longer piece of B2B because the repeater should be able to handle up to 48" of repeatability IMO. Just like the UEG can handle a minimum of 1/2 the width of a 4x8 sheet the Repeater should be able to handle 1/2 the length of the 4x8 sheet.
__________________
John Gowrie
Professional Trimmer/Woodworker - Suffern, NY
www.customdartcabinets.com
www.johngowrie.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Glenn Glenn is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 102
Default

keeper under the track, Ueg etc
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Goblu Goblu is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
Sean,

I was very happy with the combo of UEG and Cabinet Maker together. I'm just always puzzled by how many users of the EZ system put the keeper piece off to the right of the blade...
I think that's because it's easier to set up a fence to the right and measure from the fence to the track. You can see everything and get exact measurements that way. I most often have the keeper under the track, though. It's more convenient in my small setup.
__________________
Katie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:20 AM
sean9c sean9c is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,205
Default

If you don't have measuring tapes set up, having the keeper under the track the anti-chip edge marks your cut line. Keeper on the right you have to calc the blade kerf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
I think that's because it's easier to set up a fence to the right and measure from the fence to the track. You can see everything and get exact measurements that way. I most often have the keeper under the track, though. It's more convenient in my small setup.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 AM
Goblu Goblu is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 472
Default

I can't use an ACE with my saw, so I use the gauge that Rick (Bump and Stump) designed. Easy to find the right or left side of the kerf with it. I'm quite happy without using the ACE (a plywood attachment to the base is the antichip device).
__________________
Katie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.