The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 AM

Default Square modification

I have to confess to a bit of tool envy now and then. Most recently, it's been the tools from Mafell. (I can only drool, as their pricing is WAY outside of my budget….. )
One particular, interesting feature on their cross-cutting track, is the quick-set for finding the angle to be cut. In the video, it looks totally cool. I got to thinking about how one might do a similar thing w/the EZ square. Seemed plausible to me to consider how someone w/the proper equipment might make some sort of slide-in components for an EZ track that could perform the same angle-setting function.
But, I don't know anyone w/the equipment, or the time, or the interest, so I started thinking about what I could do.

I ended up w/what's shown in the pics: a portion of a home-made slewing ring. I made the interlocking, rotating parts on the router-circle-jig shown here: http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4431. Then, I mounted the base of the slewing ring to a piece of track, laid the mating portion into place, and attached the two lock-down knobs. In one pic, you can see it set up to cut a 5/12 angle on a 2x6; I had a bunch of them to cut out, and this angle jig really made it go quickly. I've since added a handle (see pic).
This particular jig can cut from 70˚ left, to, 70˚ right (or, 20˚, depending on your orientation)- that's a swing of 140˚.

I'll be applying a printable protractor to it to set very precise angles (http://www.blocklayer.com/protractor-printeng.aspx).
The nice thing about this angle-setting jig is that it quickly removes and installs into any length of EZ track, and just as quickly sets to the angle.

The only thing I haven't yet figured out is a simple way to attach the EZ repeater to it; if anyone has some ideas, I would love to hear them.
Thanks,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  circular pivot - top view.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	6236   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  circular pivot - bottom view.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	6237   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  circular pivot - exploded view.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6238   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  circular pivot - connector mount.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	6239   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  circular pivot - moveable handle.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	6240  

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Another great, inventive job, Rick. You have my vote for the current reining king of EZ invention.

(Yeah, the Mafell angle tool is nice.)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM

That's really neat! I like the website, too.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Default Update

Thought I'd post an update about how my modified angle-setting mount for the EZ square is working out.

In short…. I LOVE IT!!

I've recently been framing a small workshop for my neighbor and have had lots of opportunity to use this new set-up. I mounted a 24" piece of track to it, which is just right for the size of the framing timbers. Because the rotating point is located in the left channel of the EZ track, and the track rotates, instead of pivots, the dynamics of how you can push it against the material and hold it in place is improved. (At some angle settings, using an EZ clamp on the far end makes using this angle-jig a hands-free affair.) The addition of the adjustable handle I made (see in the pic) makes it even more user-friendly. (This handle is such an assist, I'll be making a bigger version to use on my normal EZ square.)

In use, I have yet to knock this thing out of setting. Once set to the desired angle, due to the angle mount being firmly mounted to the track , and the two lock-down knobs on the rotating portion, it is very rigid. I'm sure, if someone were to bang this thing against an object, it would move out of setting, but, in normal knockaround work, I don't have to worry about it changing setting. Sweet.

Set-up is simple- for this job, I set it w/the framing square (see pic); other times I'll use a speed square. Because the two parts of the mount have negligible slop when the clamps are loosened, I don't have to 'chase' the exactness of the angle when setting- loosen the clamps; rotate; slide against the square which is set to your desired angle; fasten the clamps.

The real joy of this thing, tho, is in the using. When I made this angle-setting mount, I made it to go to 70˚ right or left, so, when it came time to cut some long angles of a 5/12 pitch (~67 1/2˚), I set it w/the framing square and got to work. The work went quicker, and came out neater than any other time I can remember having to cut 'long-angles'. (see pic) Can't wait till I can use this thing to cut some stair stringers!

If you do much 'mobile' angle work w/EZ tools (ie, not at a designated work table), I encourage you to consider making one of these mounts- the results will put a grin on your face.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Square-  modified-  in use - 1.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	6252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Square-  modified-  in use - 4.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	6253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Square-  modified-  in use - 5.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	6254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Square-  modified-  in use - 6.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	6255  
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 AM

Rick,

I really like your angle setup. Do you think the parts could be made out of 1/2" Acrlic instead of woodply. It might slide easier.

Bill
Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Griggs View Post
Rick,

I really like your angle setup. Do you think the parts could be made out of 1/2" Acrlic instead of woodply. It might slide easier.

Bill
Hi, Bill. I'm sure the acrylic would do fine, altho, I have to admit that the Baltic Birch ply. that I used slides very smoothly- after milling the two sides, I waxed them; subsequent use has made any touching surfaces smooth to each other; not sure how one could get much smoother sliding action.
If you do mill one out of acrylic, it would be nice if you also milled one out of the baltic, just to do a back-to-back comparison.
Rick
ps I just added a removable mount to attach this angle setup to my PBB- works fantastic; details here:
http://www.tracksawforum.com/showpos...6&postcount=20
Old 07-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Default The insanity continues..........

I made a slight mod to my recently-modified EZ square that makes it much easier to set-up and use; I've tried to show it on some (very amateurish) videos:

http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/bu...ry/EZ%20square

In the videos, I show the square attached to my PBB, where it works great, but I mainly designed it to work out 'in the field' for when it's time to cut long pieces, like rafters, etc., to be able to have an infinite-length, indexable, cut-off work platform I have a project coming up that involves a bunch of framing and I wanted an easy/quick way to cut identical length pieces (studs, joists, etc), including both angled-ends of rafters- I'll post some pics when I get into that project.
But for now, I'm enjoying this little bugger mounted to the PBB.
Rick
(Apologies for the really bad videos- this is all new to me........)
Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 AM

Wow, that's slick. Definitely the way to cut angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
I made a slight mod to my recently-modified EZ square that makes it much easier to set-up and use; I've tried to show it on some (very amateurish) videos:

http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/bu...ry/EZ%20square

In the videos, I show the square attached to my PBB, where it works great, but I mainly designed it to work out 'in the field' for when it's time to cut long pieces, like rafters, etc., to be able to have an infinite-length, indexable, cut-off work platform I have a project coming up that involves a bunch of framing and I wanted an easy/quick way to cut identical length pieces (studs, joists, etc), including both angled-ends of rafters- I'll post some pics when I get into that project.
But for now, I'm enjoying this little bugger mounted to the PBB.
Rick
(Apologies for the really bad videos- this is all new to me........)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Rick - you have really nailed this. It is much more than a square mod. In the early EZ days I always thought something like you invented would replace our bridges (rotating pivot point for the rail). Excellent work!

Mike
Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Rick, your angle setup is really nice! Put that together with a large format saw and you have a miter saw replacement.

-Brian