The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Thanks, Guys.

One of the first things I did when I started using EZ was to design/make a bridge system that allowed me to cut angles on my PBB. I still have that contraption, and use it often.

But…..

I wanted something smaller; more compact. About 1 1/2 yrs. ago, I designed a different kind of track/angle-setting/bridge affair (24" wide x ~16" deep) that was very light and agile and could do 50˚ right or left. Great idea, but too complex.

Then, a couple of months ago, while working on something totally unrelated, I came on the idea of using these homemade slewing rings for jigs and things. Not a new concept, I know, but it had never dawned on me how well they could be adapted for using the EZ track. From day one, this EZ square has been a joy to use, and after finally working out some mounting/use issues, even more so.

The pics show where I originally was going w/this EZ square idea- for use in framing situations: something that was light, adaptable, cheap, quick setup/take down, etc. It's definitely good for framing, but it's just as good for use as a miter station.

Pic one shows EZ track (100"+) flipped upside down and held in place by some 'saddles' under the track; saddles are screwed to the top of the saw horses. (Track is not fastened to the saddles- not needed.) Obviously, you could make the track as long/short as you wanted/needed to.

At the far end, you can see a sliding length-stop and a front-edge stop. At the near end, you can see a short piece of SME held to the bottom edge of the track by another front-edge stop that also grabs onto the SME, and the EZ-square mounting bracket, which grabs both the SME and the track, keeping them together.

Pics 2 and 3 show the access to loosen/tighten the screws in the mounting bracket, w/out removing the square mount, in case you need to reposition the whole assembly, as well as be able to slide it out in toto from everything when it's time to pack up at the end of the day. Also in these pics, notice provision for a center-mount clamping knob. In some situations, you wouldn't need the two outer knobs, only the center one. (Using the two outer knobs eliminates all but the most severe twisting of the mounting bracket during cutting; using only the center mount allows a bit of twist in some situations; a bit of trial and error lets you know when those times are.)

Pic 4 shows it all together, ready to cut a 2 x 4; pic 5 shows it set up for a 45˚ cut. Also in pic 5, you can see I've added an adjustable brace to keep the material pushed up against the front stops; not usually needed, but available. Also, if a person preferred having the edge-stops on the out-side of the track, it's just a matter of putting some edge-stops on that side of the track.

Lots of other ideas about this set-up, but I'll save them for another day. (One idea is for an adjustable, auto-indexing setup for cutting stair stringers- I may have to build me a 'stairway to heaven' just to try it out……..)

Please feel free to offer suggestions to improve this.
Thanks,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modificaiton-  set up for framing - 1.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	6332   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modificaiton-  set up for framing - 2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	6333   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modificaiton-  set up for framing - 3.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	6334   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modificaiton-  set up for framing - 4.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	6335   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modificaiton-  set up for framing - 5.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	6336  

Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 AM

"Stairway to Heaven" was my high school class song when I was a senior. Yeah, I guess that dates me.

As always, your ideas are innovative and well thought-out. I'll bet that at least half the eyeballs that have seen your post are busy thinking about how many ways they could use one (I know that I am.)

I don't have a shop--no garage and no shed, so all of my tools have to be very portable and easy to set up/take down (especially take down since I am usually dead tired by then!) For a while now I've been working on a design for a cutting table that would be made from a single sheet of OSB and all the pieces cut from it would use slots to interconnect. I use tracks and the UEG, but don't have an EZ-One or PBB, so now I'm thinking about ways to marry your design with mine to make a knock-down sort-of PBB.

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
I don't have a shop--no garage and no shed, so all of my tools have to be very portable and easy to set up/take down (especially take down since I am usually dead tired by then!) For a while now I've been working on a design for a cutting table that would be made from a single sheet of OSB and all the pieces cut from it would use slots to interconnect. I use tracks and the UEG, but don't have an EZ-One or PBB, so now I'm thinking about ways to marry your design with mine to make a knock-down sort-of PBB.
Lex, I would love to see some pics of your OSB table design! Sounds like something others of us could also use.

Another option is shown in the pics. Pic one shows the square-mod-assembly mounted to a small 'module' (~12" wide x ~16" deep)— nice for cutting small items.

Pics 2,3,4 show modules 'ganged' together to allow expanded cutting possibilities. Pics 2&3 show the modules directly joined together, allowing cross cutting and/or rip cutting; pic 4 shows the concept of extending the modules to any length, using EZ extrusions front and rear, to allow infinite expansion.

The modules can be made to any size, and, if space is an issue, they can be sized to stack inside of one another for storage.

FWIW,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modification-  using modules - 1.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	6337   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modification-  using modules - 2.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	6338   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modification-  using modules - 3.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	6339   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ square modification-  using modules - 4.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	6340  
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Lex, I would love to see some pics of your OSB table design! Sounds like something others of us could also use.
Fortunately, I decided to build a scale model of my design first; and discovered that it was very wobbly and wouldn't have worked. I modified the scale model to make two longitudinal braces for the legs, and that seems to work well. I'll put those mods into my SketchUp design and then make the full-size version. For a while I've been using a knock-down framework of 1x12s with notches cut in them to interlock, and place that on top of the plastic folding sawhorses you can find at the BORG. It works, but it's a hassle getting the sheet goods on top of it. It's a challenge to get sheet goods home in a Honda Civic, but as soon as I fix the wiring in my trailer I'll make a run and get the sheet goods. I'll post the SketchUp model soon (just need to put my modifications to the scale model into it).

I've seen your modules before and I like the idea. It would be simple to put folding legs on them too so that they would be self-supporting. Thanks for the ideas.

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Rick, this whole setup, with bridge and all is really, really, really cool! I love the videos, they are so helpful. I even liked the music in the first one though I'm not usually a fan of music in this kind of video.

Thanks for posting it. I'm making two of those portable multifunction work tables right now and will probably use your ideas for a bridge/square, etc. The tables will take a while but this is next!

I don't have track to put along the sides but will use SME. Do you think SME will work ok? (also track won't fit if it is to fold up and be portable. Not as good as track in many ways but what I already had and was planning to use on one of the tables.

Last edited by Goblu; 07-25-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Rick, this whole setup, with bridge and all is really, really, really cool! I love the videos, they are so helpful. I even liked the music in the first one though I'm not usually a fan of music in this kind of video.

Thanks for posting it. I'm making two of those portable multifunction work tables right now and will probably use your ideas for a bridge/square, etc. The tables will take a while but this is next!

I don't have track to put along the sides but will use SME. Do you think SME will work ok? (also track won't fit if it is to fold up and be portable. Not as good as track in many ways but what I already had and was planning to use on one of the tables.
Hi, Katie; glad the music wasn't too overboard- I wanted something a bit mellow, and that seemed to work ok. I'll probably forego music in the future, assuming I do any more videos.

Yes, SME should work ok. The principle is that the more vertical contact you have on the mounting assembly, the more secure it will be (ie. no wiggle/movement). But, even using track, when raising the bridge a lot, you'll only be contacting the lower part of the mounting assembly anyway, so it would be no different than using SME vs. track.
Notice the pics above where I'm set up to cut a 2x4- I'm only using SME for the mount, and it's fine. (First pic, post #11.)
Would love to see some pics of the progress w/your projects......
Rick
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Hi, Katie; glad the music wasn't too overboard- I wanted something a bit mellow, and that seemed to work ok. I'll probably forego music in the future, assuming I do any more videos.

Yes, SME should work ok. The principle is that the more vertical contact you have on the mounting assembly, the more secure it will be (ie. no wiggle/movement). But, even using track, when raising the bridge a lot, you'll only be contacting the lower part of the mounting assembly anyway, so it would be no different than using SME vs. track.
Notice the pics above where I'm set up to cut a 2x4- I'm only using SME for the mount, and it's fine. (First pic, post #11.)
Would love to see some pics of the progress w/your projects......
Rick
Yes, I missed that picture with the SME, expecting to see track I didn't notice. I was thinking to put a brace or something to stabilize if needed. I was looking at the heavy duty bridge in your other post and realize you have to have track for that.

I'll post a small part of my current projects today. It's slow because I don't have workstations and can only do one thing at a time.

I certainly hope you do more videos if that works for you.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Default Brilliant!

Brilliant Rick!