The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Pocket-EZ

Well, lots more wasted hours in 'Igor's dungeon', and here's where I'm headed.

I've always wanted a 'mini' version of the EZ track, in order to make a 'mini' square. I had a couple of left over pieces from some track, due to cutting it up for a project, and thought perhaps I could incorporate those pieces in making the 'mini' track. Here is the result.

Pics one and two show my 'Pocket-EZ': in 90˚ and 45˚ positions. This square can bevel 50˚+, right and left- slight repositioning on the next version will allow greater angle swings.

Pics 3 and 4 show the comparative sizes between my recent square modification and this new, Pocket-EZ. The 16" length on the Pocket-EZ allows an 11 1/4" cut depth. Also, the width of the Pocket EZ is ~1" narrower than the EZ track (pic 4).

Finally, pic 5, shows the simple milling underneath, where the two parts connect.

Even tho I made this thing out of scrap lumber, intending to make a better one after I worked out the 'bugs', it works really well: indexes easily; clamps firmly; and is less cumbersome for my small-ish hands to deal with. Plus, for simple cut-offs, is way less bulky than any of my other EZ track options.

Normally, I don't use the EZ ACEs (plastic edges on the EZ track where the saw cuts), but in this case, I decided to, mainly due to the speed-factor in setting up for a cut. One interesting phenomenon came to light when I trimmed the ACE and did some experimental cutting, that might help others who always use the ACE.
I've found, when using the ACEs, due to their flexibility and sliding fit, that after a bit of cutting, they end up getting shorter than what they start out to be, when first trimmed to size, thus not giving an 'exact' cut-line reference over time. In screwing on the edge extrusions to the Pocket-EZ, the heads of the internal screws ended up slightly protruding into the space for the ACE, which caused the ACE to be firmly pushed against the edge of the protrusion. That turned out to be a good thing- now, there's no movement of the ACE and the cut edge of the ACE is a true representation of the cut-line. I'll see how it holds up after lots of use.

The madness continues......
Rick (aka Igor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket-EZ - 1.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	6389   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket-EZ - 2.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	6390   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket-EZ - 3.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	6391   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket-EZ - 4.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	6392   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket-EZ - 5.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	6393  

Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 PM

That's cute. You made your own track! I've noticed the same thing with my ACE's, it's worse on tracks that move like the Ripsizer. Also since the ACE keeps the track from sitting flat on the material if you clamp your track down it spreads out the ACE, you trim more off. After that if you cut without your track clamped down the ACE is too short
Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 PM

It's really neat to see all the different kinds of potential in the EZ system. This would be so great for cutting some trim if you had a few pieces to do, like replacing some exterior trim, compared to a chop saw or even the bigger version that you made. There are so many times in DIY stuff that you just need to cut a few boards. Indoors and out.

I do tend to like mini versions, easier to handle, easier to store, transport, etc. Are you going to cut a track piece down with the next version, or use wood with track parts attached?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Are you going to cut a track piece down with the next version, or use wood with track parts attached?
Wood.
Using wood allows me to incorporate the slewing ring adjustability and still keep it all thin. In the next version, I'll make it so you can quickly move the indexing/abutting piece from the bottom, to the top- some cutting projects go easier when you 'push' the square into the material; other projects do better when you 'pull' the square into the material.
Might be a while before I get back to this- it works great like it is (was using it today.....), and I've got other projects in front of this one......
Rick
Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 AM

What do you think about making a small track with a raised connector? Maybe a t-track for the edge, though you couldn't use the ACE obviously. For those of us who don't have a lot of track laying around but may have those other extrusions.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
What do you think about making a small track with a raised connector? Maybe a t-track for the edge, though you couldn't use the ACE obviously. For those of us who don't have a lot of track laying around but may have those other extrusions.
I initially considered using the t-track. To give it a stable platform, I would want to inset it into a piece of 3/4" ply, which would then increase the 'track' thickness from 1/2" to 3/4". If the added thickness isn't an issue, no problem. (Another option would be to use a piece of raised connector, inset into the base plywood, and bypass the t-track.)

Another issue had to do w/the slewing ring. Using 1/2" baltic ply allows me to inset the rings into the ply, whereas, if I used t-track, I wouldn't be able to inset the rings- I'd need to make a separate ring and attach it to the bottom of the track piece; doable, but insetting the ring is a bit more compact, and, it allows the simple indexing system I'm using for setting the crossbar that abuts the material.

There's no 'correct' way to do this; just variations on the theme; and, I'm sure they would all work well.
Rick