The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 02-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Default Sometimes, it's the simple things.....

Here's an EZ solution for a common framing issue.

I'm building a covering for a deck. The joists of the covering will slope from the fascia of the house to a beam at the edge of the deck. I would like the angled cuts of the joists to butt as tightly as possible to the fascia at the top end, and at the beam at the lower end. Owing to a bit of twist in the fascia, the cuts of each joist will be slightly different from one to the other; same at the beam end of the joists. To gain the advantage and make it all work in my favor, I decided to use my 'pocket-EZ' square.

Pic one shows the 'pocket EZ'; pic two shows it's components. I made this thing one day out of scraps of EZ track and wood. It was supposed to be the prototype, but it works fine as is, and is fairly simple to make.

To use, I set the joist on top of the ledger board at the fascia, and on top of the beam at the lower end. Then, I set the pocket EZ on top of the joist and slide it up to the ledger. In pic three, you can see the difference in the angle from how the pocket EZ was adjusted for the previous joist, and how this one will need to be tweaked a bit so there won't be a gap when cut. Pic four shows the pocket EZ after adjustment.

Once adjusted (which is just a matter of loosening the two knobs and pushing the square up against the ledger/beam and then retightening the knobs), I simply lay the square on the wood and cut, in normal EZ fashion. Then, I do the same procedure at the lower end, where the joist will attach to the beam. (The angle cut at the ledger was not the exact same angle cut at the beam, and, each joist was not the same to each other.) Doing each joist this way gives the results in pic 5: no visible gaps in the joist ends, top or bottom- nice.

I realize there are a # of different ways to achieve the same results w/out a 'pocket EZ', but since I'm using EZ stuff on almost all of my projects, this fits in smoothly/efficiently. I'm guessing, if Eurekazone wanted to expand their line of products, something this simple would be an inexpensive, very useful addition….. (hint-hint……)
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket EZ.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	6618   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket EZ-  components.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	6619   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket EZ-  showing need for adjusting.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	6620   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket EZ-  adjusted.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	6621   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket EZ-  results.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	6622  

Old 02-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Very nice adaptation of your guide, has cutting the angle down to the one step. I'd have to use a sliding bevel to establish the angle, mark the board and then adjust my cutting guide http://www.toolsbyhh.com/product/48083/to the correct angle. Certainly would make a tedious job go a lot quicker.

Tom
Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM

That's slick. Do you now add joist hangers?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Very nice adaptation of your guide, has cutting the angle down to the one step. I'd have to use a sliding bevel to establish the angle, mark the board and then adjust my cutting guide http://www.toolsbyhh.com/product/48083/to the correct angle. Certainly would make a tedious job go a lot quicker.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. I used to have one of those adjustable squares you linked to; I never was satisfied w/it's performance. (More operator failure than tool failure..... )
I've done the sliding T-bevel often thru the years. Or, plane a straight-edge across the fascia/across the joist to be cut; mark the line; viola`, there's the cut line. This simple 'pocket' EZ square, tho, really does make the whole process much simpler/quicker.
Rick
Old 02-16-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
That's slick. Do you now add joist hangers?
Yes, theoretically, I should add joist hangers. But... due to the fact that the framed structure will be visible, I don't want to use the normal joist hangers. I'm planning on welding up some nicer-looking joist hangers out of angle iron- overkill, I know, but the visuals will be worth it. (Plus, my welded ones will put a smile on my engineer-buddy's face- he's making sure I overbuild everything else on this structure...... lol )
Old 04-26-2015, 06:39 PM

Rick, I bookmarked this using the title: EZ Square tweaking 4 odd cuts. Nicely done. I'm searching your threads for tips.

Don
My goal and plan: This will be a relatively healthy (low dust, max safety) hobby shop that makes hard wood picture frame moldings, furniture, some interior house trim, doors & remodeling, new deck floors. Minimize accessories by buying right tool systems. Planned use 5 to 10 hours a week, more on bigger projects.