The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys I LOL a lot an ROTFL now and then.
Let me be the first to say Happy and Better New Year.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Default mel

Hope you had a good one also OMG Newyears next.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I meant the cheap steel plywood blades not carbide, I should have made that clear. Sometimes I loose detail going from my brain to text I have even used them backwards to trim steel doors to clear carpet (when I was a kid long time ago). They do not last long but is does work. These blades are thin but so are the Freud blades that most of us use. It might be close enough. I will have to give it a try.

Ken, I knew EXACTLY the blades you meant. But let me clear up my comments. Those plywood blades, the teeth are out of plane with the blade body, by how much they are bent (like the old handsaws). A carbide blade, will traditionally still have carbide teeth that are wider then those, and still trim the antichip the second time.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Triming the EAC-1!

I suggested turning the blade around, but then I wouldn't use this method, because the original method has always worked perfect for me. So I started to think real hard. Dino more than likely has cut a whole lot more plastic than I have. Then I realized that I may have cut more different kinds, So I wandered what would be the hardest thing to cut (without special heat knives or other plastic cutting tool). I drug out my miter saw I called my 10yr. old grand-daughter, and 13yr. old grand-son and instructed them in how to cut an empty 2-liter soda bottle in half, with out damaging or fraying the edge. On their first cuts (after having instructed to cut slowly) the only thing I told them as they were cutting was "slower slower". Then on their second cut they needed no prompting and did a perfect cut.

All the above was just to emphasize that the right speed is important, allow the blade to cut, not rip. Have the EAC on the backup board and do not start the saw with blade in contact with the EAC-1, move slowly. It's only once per strip.

a If we go too slow on some plastics the plastic will melt some, on harder plastics going too slow would be hard to do when or if the plastic is very thin.

I really really really hope this helps!
If it doesn't I'm soorry
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Default old srk

I see a lot of thing that were done with the old SRK and wonder If we could get just the arm that could be used as a measering device to line up both sides forget the name for it OOh story stick.
Most of the videos are on the old SRK, So of coarse we look to do the same and I'm sure there was a good reason to change to what is the new SSRK cant think or see one except for the uhmw base change.
Maybe the new is better in more ways but I see the old one flip around for this and that and cant see the new ssrk doing some of them like even the circle cutter just my thoughts. May also be better with dual rails.
I did hear maybe the old one would be sold again? not sure about that.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Chipping

Before installing the Smart Base on my 5008, I trimmed the lip (per Ken's suggestion) so the blade could be positioned just off the edge of the white EAC and so, therefore, nothing would need to be trimmed. After installing the base, however, I discovered that the edge of the white EAC "squishes out" when the bridge is lowered, and that small amount needed to be trimmed off.

So I turned my blade around and ran it through. It cleanly trimmed just a small amount off the edge - maybe 1/64".

Now as I make regular cuts, however (same blade), I'm getting some chipping.

If I try a new piece of white EAC, I almost feel like using a blade (backwards) with a slightly wider kerf than the one I intend to use as my regular cutter. I'm thinking the difference in kerf width would provide a little insurance against chipping.

Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davisson View Post
If I try a new piece of white EAC, I almost feel like using a blade (backwards) with a slightly wider kerf than the one I intend to use as my regular cutter. I'm thinking the difference in kerf width would provide a little insurance against chipping.

Thoughts?
I have one of those (can you see the smoke?)

A wider blade, would throw off your cut line. (what you set against the mark) You may have issues in tight spots then.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Default chips in edge

Mark I have experienced some of the same chipping I was wondering if it had to do with the thickness of the blade and if a sturdier blade would be better on the 5008. It seemed to happen when my brake kicked on that made me think the blade was flexing during the rapid deceleration.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
I have one of those (can you see the smoke?)

A wider blade, would throw off your cut line. (what you set against the mark) You may have issues in tight spots then.

To be honest, my cut line seems to be rather dynamic and, therefore, unreliable. When the saw is off the track and I lower the bridge so the track rests on the workpiece, the EAC indicates the cut line is in one place. When I place the saw on the track toward the rear (so the blade is in "free air"), the cut line is in another place. When the saw is running and its full weight is directly over the workpiece, the cut line is in still another place.

As it is, I lower the track onto the workpiece and have to "eyeball" what I think the "squish factor" will be when the full weight of the saw is directly over the workpiece. I feel like I might as well trim the EAC a little short (so it, for sure, is missed by the spinning blade) and then add that to what I'm already allowing for in my eyeballing of the actual cut line.

At the rate I'm going, there will be so many chips along the EAC that I won't have an EAC cut line in a few days, anyway.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toollovingschultz View Post
Mark I have experienced some of the same chipping I was wondering if it had to do with the thickness of the blade and if a sturdier blade would be better on the 5008. It seemed to happen when my brake kicked on that made me think the blade was flexing during the rapid deceleration.
You could be right. I'll pay attention to when/where it happens - if it correlates to braking (flexing). I'm using the Diablo 40-tooth.