The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 PM

Arrow Hi all, advice please.

1st post but have been reading and looking at the videos. I am looking at the EZ1 Dewalt package versus the Elemental package. In reading a few posts it seems I could benefit from getting the Dewalt 8-1/4 separately instead of the 7-1/4 that comes in the EZ1 Dewalt package.
Any thing I'm missing in terms of clearances or comparability with the EZ1 system and the 8-1/4 saw here http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-...W384/203164051
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Dan44 View Post
1st post but have been reading and looking at the videos. I am looking at the EZ1 Dewalt package versus the Elemental package. In reading a few posts it seems I could benefit from getting the Dewalt 8-1/4 separately instead of the 7-1/4 that comes in the EZ1 Dewalt package.
Any thing I'm missing in terms of clearances or comparability with the EZ1 system and the 8-1/4 saw here http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-...W384/203164051
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Hi, Dan, welcome to the Forum.

I own two 7 1/4" versions of that Dewalt saw. One is set up for the EZ track, the other isn't. I bought them before EZ was a factor in my work life, due to their ability to realign the saw base parallel to the saw blade, using the adjustment at the rear pivot. When mounting to an EZ saw base, this feature is not a factor.

Definitely going from 7 1/4" to 8 1/4" will broaden (deepen?) your cutting options on the EZ track. Whereas the 7 1/4" saw barely/not always penetrates 1 1/2" lumber depth, the 8 1/4" will do so easily, up to ~2 1/2". The saw should fit an EZ saw base, tho it might be safe to double check the length of the Dewalt base vs. the length of the EZ saw base- seems some have found that the Dewalt base might be a bit longer than the EZ base, requiring a bit of modification to the EZ base.

Depending on your anticipated use of the saw on the EZ track, the rear-pivot plunging action of the Dewalt saw might/might-not be an issue. The Dewalt saw depth is best lowered by removing the saw from the track, holding it in front of you, loosening the front knob, lowering the blade, replacing on the track, cutting. A bit of a hassle if you change depths often. Much easier/convenient is the front-pivot, say, like what is on the Makita 8 1/4" saw. To use the Makita, I leave the saw on the track, loosen the pivot lever in the back, and lower the blade. More control; simpler; more precise in actual use. Also, if you do any plunge cutting, the front-plunge of the Dewalt saw can become a dangerous experience.

I mainly use my Dewalt saws for framing, 'rough' work, and job-site work, where having an EZ-1 is not convenient. In the shop, at the EZ-1, I use the Makita 8 1/4" saw- costs a bit more than the Dewalt, but the ease of use, IMO, justifies the expense.

Hope some of this is helpful,
Rick
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 PM

As usual, Rick gave some great advice. Ditto on the big Makita. It's on my list. An EZ Ready saw sounds nice but I would rather do the refit myself.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 AM

Thanks to you both, great input. I've found the 8- Makita here http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-15...8MGA/100659890 slightly cheaper than the Dewalt I linked in the first post.
Going to dig around and look into the EZ1 base plate modifications needed if any for both saws and do some in depth comparisons of the saws themselves.
I have an older craftsman 7- that I'll keep for off track use so this saw choice will be specific to using on the EZ1.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Default I have the 8 1/4 Makita

no modifications to the base needed. One bit of advice. When you get the Mak locate the blade angle fine adjustment screw on the bottom of the base and locate a hole in the EZ base so you can adjust the saw angle withe the base on the saw. You will need to be able to fine tune to correct 1 to 1.5 degrees most likely. Also use no or minimal downforce on the saw when cutting because there is some flex in the linkage that controls cut depth. I have read review on the De Walt indicating a similar issue. I an now getting very good cuts that range from a perfect 90 degrees to 89.7 degrees. That small difference is likely my technique.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 AM

Thank you, good tip.

Looks like the Makita 8- is already set up directly from Eureka Zone, at first glance more expensive but has the base plate, dust port, dust shield, and free shipping. Probably a wash if you tried to part it out and buy the pieces separately. http://www.eurekazone.com/ProductDet...08MGA&CartID=1
Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM

Default If I had it to do over

I would have done it that way. Make sure that making the hole in the base for the fine adjust screw is also included just in case it ever creeps out of adjustment.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISKDR01 View Post
I would have done it that way. Make sure that making the hole in the base for the fine adjust screw is also included just in case it ever creeps out of adjustment.
Will do, thanks!