The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Default "I need to vent....."

Had a client who wanted to close off the 2" gap between the top of his refrigerator and the cabinet above with wood matching the cabinet (Beech). ~2" tall space, by 36 1/4" wide. Not a problem, except that the refrig. needed that space to 'breath', so, a solid piece of wood wouldn't work. Drilling holes in a piece of wood would have looked bad from a quarter mile away, so I decided to do the 'EZ-dance' on it.

What it really needed was a nice vent, so I decided to try my hand at making one using the SSRK. I wanted slanted vents, so I had to do some math and make a holding/indexing jig to help out.
First, I made the jig to hold my 2" piece of Beech at the vent angle I wanted; in this case, 30˚ (I wanted a steep enough angle that folks couldn't see thru it once it was installed). (Pic one shows the 2" piece nesting in the jig, before I put the holding screw thru the end of the jig into the piece.) The jig held the 2" piece snugly, and with it resting fully against the front of the jig and a couple of screws thru the end of the jig into the 2" piece, I wasn't worried about it moving. From there, it was a matter of clamping the jig into position on the EZ-One and setting up the SSRK.
Since the front and back of the jig were the same height, the SSRK could glide along them securely. After a bit of set up, I was ready to go.
(One of the things I did, since the plunge bit couldn't go all the way thru on the middle and lower slot, was to do all of my lay-out from the center of my piece, which was purposely cut long, so I could trim the ends later, as needed. That way, when I flipped it in order to complete the thru-routing, I could utilize the same stops on the track, for both sides. All set-ups were done with story-sticks to maintain accuracy.)
Pic two shows the first two routs; the one nearest the top shows full penetration. Since I was needing to have the 1/4" solid carbide bit be extended out of the collet a bit farther than usual, I took it 'specially slow: no more than 1/8" depth at a time, and no forcing it along the track; I wasn't interested in having a solid piece of carbide become a bullet suddenly. The entire process, from building the jig, set-ups, and routing, took right at 2 1/2 hours.
Pic 3 shows all routs completed on the face side of the piece.
Pic 4 shows the completed product- picture doesn't do it justice: this puppy came out nice!!
Once again, thanks EZ- you rock!!
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSRK-  louver 1.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	4198   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSRK-  louver 5.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	4199   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSRK-  louver 6.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	4200   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSRK-  louver 9.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	4201  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Awesome job Rick! Thanks for sharing. BTW, the photos make all the difference, they really help to illustrate what you're describing.

I had a similar project two years ago where at the last moment of a Kitchen install the customer decided she didn't like the trim kit that came with her microwave and wanted me to make a custom one out of maple, including vent! Granted, smaller scale than your project, but fun nonetheless. I don't know, I guess I really like those small, oddball projects

Keep sharing your stories Rick!
Best,
Tom
Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 PM

That looks really nice!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm really appreciating how the EZ tools allow me to more quickly and accurately do simple and complex projects.
Is it ok if work is fun?
Rick
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM

Rick,

If it's not, you are doing the wrong thing...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Rick,

You've discovered the essence of EZ. Work needs to be fun. To me the EZ adds a whole new world. It gives you the ability to create things that before were impossible.

Burt
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM

Dik, Burt,
right on! Thankfully, I'm one of those guys who get to work at what he most enjoys doing: working with my hands. As an added bonus, my clients are cool with funding my selfish addiction.

I appreciate you two guys pouring into this forum like you do; your experience in things woodworking, EZ, and life in general is good inspiration.
Rick

ps here's a pic of the finished/installed vent, before final staining.
rs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSRK-  louver, finished.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	4203  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 01-13-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Default Breathless

WOW! That is all I can say. I feel like the little kid that try's to imitate his uncle or ?? -- Got my plastic tool belt, and wooden hammer, and plastic screw driver -- goin' ta' built somting'

I am happy with my phone center hangs on the wall without falling off, and the drawer is square. You guys tackle projects that make me feel like I have no right to handle the tools.

I am impressed. I would have looked for a metal or plastic vent to fit.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
WOW! That is all I can say. I feel like the little kid that try's to imitate his uncle or ?? -- Got my plastic tool belt, and wooden hammer, and plastic screw driver -- goin' ta' built somting'

I am happy with my phone center hangs on the wall without falling off, and the drawer is square. You guys tackle projects that make me feel like I have no right to handle the tools.

I am impressed. I would have looked for a metal or plastic vent to fit.
Heh-heh.... Phil you've expressed how I feel when I read after some of the guys on this forum and wonder, "Wow! How in the world did they figure that out, much less do it?!?"
Before EZ, I never even thought about some of this stuff, much less tried to do it. Things are different now, and I'm pushing some new personal woodworking frontiers.
Rick
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Wow, very cool