The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > RipSizer

Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Fin stoppage

So I've got my fin and I've got a 1/4-20 tap (I haven't used the set screws yet but the fin tab falls out of the base if I don't at least use blue tape).
Am I using this thing upside down? The pictures of the new bi-directional fin for left or right blade saws show just a small raised fin. Mine has a tall wide fin and a short thin one. The tall side doesn't fit in the slot provided on the base and seems to align well with the thickness of my blade. I currently have a Diablo 7" thin-kerf blade in use. I tried a cut in some 3/4 MDF this afternoon and had the fin stop me dead. I tried several times and each time the kerf was not wide enough to allow the fin egress. I checked with a straight edge and the fin seems to line up with the blade.
What am I doing wrong?

On the plus side the UEG performed awesome as always- no problems there

Kind of feel like I just signed up to be the guy in the dunk-tank at the local fair but is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by havehammerwilltravel View Post

On the plus side the UEG performed awesome as always- no problems there

Kind of feel like I just signed up to be the guy in the dunk-tank at the local fair but is anyone else experiencing this?
Ok, File the Fin down until it goes in.

tx
d
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks as always.
I'm glad I at least had the thing rightside-down.
Now just imagine Greece- a few thousand miles from the nearest laptop or terminal
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Now just imagine Greece- a few thousand miles from the nearest laptop or terminal
I really don't think that place exists this day and age. You can find laptops and up-links in the Congo.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM

I wasn't suggesting Greece lacks technology. But Dino needs the away time. Just like EZ- you have to use your imagination.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting Greece lacks technology. But Dino needs the away time. Just like EZ- you have to use your imagination.
do you make it to work or you have to pay my ticket to fix it for you?

any pictures using the ueg?
tx
d
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
do you make it to work or you have to pay my ticket to fix it for you?

any pictures using the ueg?
tx
d

If there's anyplace on planet earth with chronic tech-lack it's an area about 1 foot in any conceivable direction around my immediate person. My phone is basically a phone and I don't often remember to bring my camera. (violin plays softly in background). I will try to get some pics up soon.

The fin still seems a little too broad to allow for easy slippage into the kerf although this is only after a mere handful of cut attempts. I am not my own boss at the moment so "experimenting" at work is a little out. I have confidence that this is going to work just as good as any other EZ product I've ever gotten. My limit stops needed a little how-ya-doin' from a file before they fit the track and work perfect. The FIN is soon to follow.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:

If there's anyplace on planet earth with chronic tech-lack it's an area about 1 foot in any conceivable direction around my immediate person. My phone is basically a phone and I don't often remember to bring my camera. (violin plays softly in background). I will try to get some pics up soon.

The fin still seems a little too broad to allow for easy slippage into the kerf although this is only after a mere handful of cut attempts. I am not my own boss at the moment so "experimenting" at work is a little out. I have confidence that this is going to work just as good as any other EZ product I've ever gotten. My limit stops needed a little how-ya-doin' from a file before they fit the track and work perfect. The FIN is soon to follow.
A new mold is almost done.
This way we can have 2 types of Fin's.
One for full kerf blades and one for think blades.

Until then....we stick with the original design,
file until you have it perfect.

tx
d
Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Trouble with thick fin

I tried my UEG for the first time last night and ran into the fin stoppage issue. Quite frustrating. I worked to file the Fin down, but that's a difficult process to get right, since one has to get it filed down quite a bit and do it consistently across the whole fin (while keeping it centered). And the testing is a bit problematic: I had it flowing smoothly through the kerf, but it bound up at the end and almost shifted the whole 4x8 sheet off the table as I pushed. Dangerous.

My recommendation would be not to try filing the fin down, so either
- don't use the fin,
- wait for the thinner fin (is that still forthcoming?),
- or ensure that one is using a blade with a 1/8 kerf.

I have a Freud Avanti Finishing (40 tooth) blade on the saw. I've used this to cut plywood for a while. This is the model: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-7-...specifications

It claims a "width" of 0.03 inches.

The width of the fin seems to be just below 1/8 inch, which would match something like a 60 tooth Diablo blade:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-7-...specifications
Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Dino said there was an issue with the fin and some saws. Contact Eurekazone and find out what is being done to correct the situation. Until you get a proper fin, just use the UEG without the fin.

Burt