The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Default For the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty View Post

I was ready to buy. Then I try to join the forum that promotes their product and it takes me 4 days to get on so I can ask questions.
I am not a pessimistic guy but something about this just doesn't seem right. I could be wrong. I just don't want to hitch my wagon to a product that isn't going to be around.
Marty
I monitor this forum 24/7. I get up three times every night to keep the spammers from other time zones from getting in and spamming the forum. Cliff (the system -- server administrator) and I have the filters set very tight, to keep the spammers and hackers out. We still get 8 to 10 bad guys a day logging in and trying to mess up the works.

When you emailed me was the first I had any idea there was problem. I go to your account page and nothing was amiss. You showed up as a registered user. I did nothing to hinder your access, and nothing to help it. I examined every part of your membership account page, and from my observation there was NOT a problem. Still do not know why you could not get in for 4 days. As I mentioned before I watch the forum round the clock because those wanting in get in so fast I have to be right on it, or we have a mess. So I have no idea why your access was behind. Sometimes the servers and the internet system just have a bad day. Most certainly there was not a problem on our side. Obviously I would have fixed it right away if there was a problem. I got your email at 6:37 pm and by 7:31 you emailed back it seemed to be working. I do try to resolve any issue quickly.

I would normally not even address this issue, but your comments seem to question EZ as a product or a company. EZ does NOT have a problem to my knowledge, and because you can not get logged into the forum does not equate to a failing product. I agree with you that Woodcraft, Rockler, and where ever else the product is being sold is not good representation. I have never liked those stores as a distribution system in the first place, but I do not make the choices or run EZ. You have taken issue with the sales staff, and that is the very reason that I do not like those stores. I shop there, but that is it. A surprising number of store personnel do not even work with wood. The staff in many cases are just retail staff, and selling tools, shoes, make up or underwear it is all the same to them. So your point on that issue is well made. I just do not want EZ getting a bad review as it were when a bad review is not earned.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Phil,

Please see these two sentences in my first post on this subject.

So, my first impression with EZ system was not good. Then I had one heck of a time getting on to this forum. I never got the confirming email to authorize me to post on this site. I finally contacted the site administrator who did respond in a timely manner.

Your points are well taken. But, as I said once I contacted the site administrator you did respond in a timely manner.

Marty
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
heh-heh...... Great way to state it, Marty ("try to save what gas is left in the tank"); being a few years older than you (and still wearing the ol' toolbelt), I can definitely relate.

I also appreciate your perspective re. EZ-the Company (public presentation/image; will it be here for the long-haul?), and how that might relate to the longevity of their product. The good news goes like this: EZ track works- today, yesterday, tomorrow. With or without EZ supplied ACEs (anti-chip edges- there are alternatives), or with/without track saw bases (you can make your own), or with/without EZ clamps (use your own). So, if you have EZ track, you can begin to utilize it immediately, w/the convenience of Eurekazone Company backing you with available 'parts' (ACEs, clamps, etc.). IF Eurekazone Company disappears, your track is still useable, just like it is today. I think that's part of the appeal for me: once I possess it, my continued use of the EZ product is not dependent on the Company any more, other than for 'convenience' items.
Rick
I've had similar thoughts, Rick. I don't expect the company to disappear, but the main parts of my system are clearly built to last my lifetime. I plan to woodwork into my 90's so I keep a light foot on the gas.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 PM

Bump.

Thanks for the reply. You made my day with your comments. You're right on brother, the product is the product and since reading your comments I have looked at the system in a whole new light. I just built my last house for myself. So, I have a boat-load of cabinets to build for the oversized garage/shop. I've got a good supply of plywood that I will be using. So, instead of going to Woodworkers Store i am just going to give something a try and go right to the company website. I was thinking of starting with the 54" track kit and the Universal Edge Guide. I am assuming I can use the saw base for both of those. What do you think?
The other question I had was, Is it doable to cut plywood with the Universal Edge Guide on the vertical? I have a pile of plywood leaning on the wall in the garage and I would like to cut it up right where it sets. It appears I can because the "riving knife" on the bottom of the saw base will assist in the blade not binding right at the end. Is that right? The Anti EZ clerk at Woodworkers store said it would bind up on me.

Now for more important things, How far from Corpus Christi are you. My best man in my wedding lives and owns a sign business in Corpus Christi. I owe him a visit. If that happens we can get some BBQ and a cold beer. I owe you one, man.

Lastly, if Phil is still monitoring my posting here on the site. I was more disappointed in what seemed to be a lack of interest on EZ part when a prospect goes into one of their dealers and gets slammed with negativity. I was under the impression that this site was tied to the company since I got to it from the first page of the company's website. But, what Phil is telling me the company has nothing to do with this site. Seems strange then that prospect get here from their website.
nuf said.

thanks again Bump.

Marty
Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty View Post
Bump.

Thanks for the reply. You made my day with your comments. You're right on brother, the product is the product and since reading your comments I have looked at the system in a whole new light. I just built my last house for myself. So, I have a boat-load of cabinets to build for the oversized garage/shop. I've got a good supply of plywood that I will be using. So, instead of going to Woodworkers Store i am just going to give something a try and go right to the company website. I was thinking of starting with the 54" track kit and the Universal Edge Guide. I am assuming I can use the saw base for both of those. What do you think?
The other question I had was, Is it doable to cut plywood with the Universal Edge Guide on the vertical? I have a pile of plywood leaning on the wall in the garage and I would like to cut it up right where it sets. It appears I can because the "riving knife" on the bottom of the saw base will assist in the blade not binding right at the end. Is that right? The Anti EZ clerk at Woodworkers store said it would bind up on me.

Now for more important things, How far from Corpus Christi are you. My best man in my wedding lives and owns a sign business in Corpus Christi. I owe him a visit. If that happens we can get some BBQ and a cold beer. I owe you one, man.

Lastly, if Phil is still monitoring my posting here on the site. I was more disappointed in what seemed to be a lack of interest on EZ part when a prospect goes into one of their dealers and gets slammed with negativity. I was under the impression that this site was tied to the company since I got to it from the first page of the company's website. But, what Phil is telling me the company has nothing to do with this site. Seems strange then that prospect get here from their website.
nuf said.

thanks again Bump.

Marty
Marty,
Corpus is 5 hours from me. Folks don't realize how big Texas is till they start driving across it. I'm about in the middle of Texas; called the 'Hill Country'- not mountainous, but hilly- perfect motorcycle roads around here.

re. the EZ saw base: I have an older base, so I'm not up on the new one. I'm pretty sure the one base is meant to work in all EZ situations; a call to the EZ office should answer the question.

re. the UEG: again, I don't have the 'official' EZ version- I have a home-made version that works identically to the EZ one. I know the UEG is touted to cut ply in the vertical position- I don't, since my setup makes it easier for me to cut off of saw horses. If I did have a bunch of vertical ply to cut, I'd start the cut, stick a thick putty knife or wedge in the initial cut, and then finish (you probably already know that tho). From what I've read, careful install of the saw to saw base is crucial to getting the fin to work properly. (My homemade version has no fin and it's never been an issue.)

Definitely a learning curve when you first start using the EZ stuff. When I started, I used the track for one specific job and threw it all in the corner when I finished. Six months later, I pulled it out and started to think about where I could incorporate it in my work flow. After scratching my head for a while, the light finally came on and I went nuts- ended up selling my table saw and never looked back.

It's all fun,
Rick
ps when you do get to Corpus, make sure your buddy takes you out bay fishing. Between that and the BBQ, we might entice you to move down here.....
Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
I've had similar thoughts, Rick. I don't expect the company to disappear, but the main parts of my system are clearly built to last my lifetime. I plan to woodwork into my 90's so I keep a light foot on the gas.
Right on, Katie!! Good inspiration for the rest of us.
Rick
Old 04-02-2015, 03:01 AM

Default More clarity?

nuf said.

Yes and no. The forum is the official forum for EZ. It was started by Dino the inventor of the EZ system, and some of the older members transferring from Sawmill Creek. I have heard from Dino once since the partnership changes and nothing from the partners. I have emailed them but get no information or input. The members still help but since the changes in the ownership, that activity has dwindled. That in no way implies that EZ is on the decline, but they may be focusing on other areas. Not sure and I have not been told.

Many forums are member user operated. Most owners do not want to be seen as the official censors of the product information flow. I suspect that the forum will always remain apart from the ownership of the company. Credibility of the information and the owner user reviews have more integrity by being apart.

Just my input for the sake of clarity.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Many forums are member user operated. Most owners do not want to be seen as the official censors of the product information flow. I suspect that the forum will always remain apart from the ownership of the company. Credibility of the information and the owner user reviews have more integrity by being apart.
Thank you for your efforts on behalf of the EZ users and forum members. This is an important forum for those of us using EZ. Because EZ is so flexible, there are many ways to use the products, so coming here to get ideas is part of the goodness. Also, for trouble shooting if something doesn't seem to be working out as planned. Or how to do something tricky. It really is a wealth of information and expertise.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
re. the EZ saw base: I have an older base, so I'm not up on the new one. I'm pretty sure the one base is meant to work in all EZ situations; a call to the EZ office should answer the question.
One difference is that you use the fin when cutting off the track and not when it is on, since the UEG is off track cutting. The fin helps keep the cut from closing, though using a putty knife is still something I'd do. The fin also helps prevent kickback when cutting off track. I don't cut whole sheets of plywood, so I'm not an expert, but there is a video of Dino cutting vertically using the UEG somewhere. Can't find it now or I'll be late to work.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Yes and no. The forum is the official forum for EZ. It was started by Dino the inventor of the EZ system, and some of the older members transferring from Sawmill Creek. I have heard from Dino once since the partnership changes and nothing from the partners. I have emailed them but get no information or input. The members still help but since the changes in the ownership, that activity has dwindled. That in no way implies that EZ is on the decline, but they may be focusing on other areas. Not sure and I have not been told.

Just my input for the sake of clarity.
Phil, for the sake of clarity, I started the forum with Dino's blessing, and finally turned it over to you after Dino started trying to interfere too much with how I ran it.

Sean, back when the merger was being negotiated, one desired point was that one of the partners would make the extrusions (they already manufactured tools). I have no idea if that ever occurred, as I am no longer involved with EZ except for using the tools.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models