The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 05-21-2016, 12:45 AM

Default New Here and Looking to Buy System

Hello,

Just getting back into woodworking after some years of doing primarily DIY home maintenance, the occasional outdoor firewood rack, wall framing, etc.

A little about myself...I am a retired Navy/Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer with 32 years active service with the vast majority of it being in the Coast Guard. I retired from active duty in 2008 and went to work for the Coast Guard as a civilian and am living/working in the Houston, TX, area. We moved out to a property in Alvin, TX, last Fall that has a nice size steel building (and are currently erecting an additional building that will have a huge game room and bar area) so I will finally be able to have the wood shop I have wanted for a long time so I am repurchasing some equipment that I long ago sold as well as new equipment that I never owned. My only power equipment right now is a 12" Ridgid compound miter saw and a 30-year-old Delta drill press.

For starters, I am going to buy a Laguna Italian 18" band saw (this has been on my list for some time). I am also heavily leaning towards going with the EZ ONE MAX system (EZEZSP5200MAX). The first major job I will use this for is to make 6" x 8' plywood panels to hang in a new game room bar area out in the steel building. The panels will be faux ship lap and there will be a ton of ripping of full sheet plywood. Other projects will be building the bar, probably some or all of the bar cabinets and just general Pinterest stuff that my wife is constantly telling me I need to make for her.

I have seen the conventional wisdom of buying some rail and the saw and add as you go. I cannot argue this point at all as I am sure it is as sound of advice as there is. That said, I am jumping in head first as I have looked at all of the videos, read this forum and also compared this with getting a SawStop or a sliding table saw and have decided to go the Eureka route...plus, my wife has given me a budget and a tight window to spend my money or it goes to uses of her choice!

My question...given the things I mentioned above that I will be doing with the system (and probably others I can't fathom right now), are there any other components that would be recommended to add to my initial order with Eureka? Additional clamps, UEG, Cabinet Maker set, etc. I have asked Eureka to spec out the "mac daddy system" for me so that I can purchase it all up front and be done with it but for some reason they have ignored this request at least three times. No worries, they haven't said it but maybe they want me to do the research and tell them what I want and/or need so that is what I am trying to do.

Sorry for the long winded first post! Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
Larry
Old 05-21-2016, 09:49 AM

Hi, Larry; welcome aboard the EZ forum.

If you want to see the EZ equipment in person, I'm glad to extend an invite to you to visit my shop. I'm in Kerrville (West of San Antonio), about 4+ hours from you. Perhaps a nice trip to San Antonio River Walk, or, Fredericksburg Hill Country? Your wife will enjoy those places, and I'm just a stone's throw down the road. Send me a PM on this forum and we can discuss more if you are interested.

RE. EZ equipment:
-It's a bit tough to predict ahead of time what you might need. Track? yes; how much? hmmm- seems one can't have 'too much', but how do you determine that? EZ-1? definitely makes woodworking EZ-er; but, 8' version, or, 4' version? tough call. Personally, I prefer the 4' version for 98% of my projects; the remaining 2% are easily dealt with using other means. And, some users prefer their own shop built version of the EZ-1 (referred to as a PBB. I have both an EZ-1 and a PBB- perfect for my uses). SSRK (router kit)? I absolutely love mine; tho, a couple of users absolutely detest theirs. UEG (universal edge guide)? You can make do without it, but once you have it, you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner- a definite add to the 'acquire' side of the tool acquisition list. Etc., etc.

In my EZ experience, having the EZ equipment is a great starting point; and because EZ extrusions are so adaptable to different working methods/needs, what you do with them to build your 'system' is up to your imagination. I'm thinking that is why 'conventional wisdom' is to start small and build up once you've a bit of 'hands-on' time with EZ.

HTH,
Rick
Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 PM

Larry,

To add to what Rick said - if you're going to be making faux ship-lap panels out of plywood, and assuming that you will be ripping the 6" strips out of 4x8 sheets, I would recommend the UEG as one of your first purchases. With that and a support table of some kind, you will make short work of turning a sheet into 6" strips. I started with the EZ Smart Table but felt that it didn't give me enough support for ripping full sheets so I made one out of plywood strips that sits on top of two saw horses. This table can also be used with a hand-held router and edge guide to hold the strips while rabbeting the edges of the strips to make the ship-laps.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6876  
Old 05-21-2016, 06:36 PM

First of all, thank you for your service and welcome to the forum!

Like you, I considered many options before deciding on the EZ System. While there is a learning curve, mostly adjusting your thought process, the safety, cost savings, and ease of use make it completely worth it.

If you don't think the "Max" is overkill and you have the room, go for it. I built my own 4'X4' PBB and love it. I also really like the SSRK (super smart router kit). I also really like the UEG (universal edge guide) but it may not be necessary with the Max. I have an additional 60" rail for my portable setup. You can't go wrong with extra stops and bench clamps. You might as well go for the 8 1/4" Makita to recover the depth of cut you lose from the EZ base. Some 7 1/4" saws can't cut 2x material once attached to it. Oh, a quality, full kerf blade will save you from a lot of frustration.

You might consider a repeater but to me it's an option for a portable setup. I prefer to set my stops for repeated cuts.

A couple of other things to consider is how to accurately square up your table and cut accurate miters. I bought a large, high quality square and adapted a quality miter gauge for these tasks.

The beauty of the EZSmart system is that it can be infinitely customized and the guys on this forum share a wealth of experience. They have saved me a lot time figuring out how to do certain tasks.

Finally, Joe's BBQ, there in Alvin, used to brag about being Nolan Ryan's favorite BBQ joint. Might be worth checking out the BBQ nachos, if they're still there.

Last edited by Tracedfar; 05-21-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 PM

Thanks for your many years of service Larry. You are a hero to me!!

If you've got the funding I think the EZ One and the UEG (low cost!!) make a power combination.

Regular or Max EZ One? Well, it all depends upon whether the UEG;s simple straight rips will meet your needs for 8 foot lengths. If yes, then regular EZ One. If not, then Max.

You'll need some kind of sacrificial surface for the UEG. Some foam on a sheet of plywood set on saw horses might be sufficient. Or make sure own version of a smart table. It doesn't have to be fancy.

I'll agree that the larger saw blade might be preferred.

A few extra clamps (smart clamps and/or bench clamps) could be useful, but time will tell.

Need for the SSRK depends on whether you'll be making dados or rabbets or similar.

On a slightly different note, I tend to think that a nice compound miter saw provides a nice compliment to the EZ tools. Even there I make sure to clamp the wood to avoid accidents.

Enjoy making wood dust!!

Ken K.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:37 PM

Default Welcome Larry

I agree with most of what has been said. The only mistake I made getting into the Eureka Zone system is that I mount a 7 1/4" saw on a saw base. Don't waste the effort go right to the 8 1/4" Makita saw. This way you can get full advantage of the "system" from the get go. That Makita 8 1/4" magnesium is not any heavier that a standard 7 1/4" circular saw. I purchased the Universal Edge Guide (UEG) first and it is fantastic for cutting plywood.
My next purchase is going to be the bridge. I think you start, learn the system and grow with the system. There is a learning curve, it you are a traditionally trained woodworker.
IMO, Eureka Zone system does not replace theff table saw in your shop. At least it has not for me. I will probably get "taken to task" on that statement. But, specifically, ripping a 12' 2x6 in half is done on a table saw in about 20 seconds and to do that with the EZ system it requires turning over the 2x6 to get through with a 7 1/4" saw. So, that is my point on using a 8 1/4' saw. With the 8 1/4" saw its done with one pass on one side. 2x material in construction is pretty standard stuff.
Glad you're here welcome
Marty
Old 05-22-2016, 02:47 PM

Default Larry

I live up in Gainesville tx. And have lots of accessories I have never used. Would give them to you. Send me you email am
And I could give you more details, but I need to down size and looking for a good home for your needs. I would definetly go see Rick as he seems to have mastered the easy one system as Dino has gotten busy with other interests.
think about a 8" saw and the Eugenia for cutting those strips of plywood.
Twelch2113 at aol.com. Tom Welch
Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM

Default Larry

Meant to say ueg for cutting strips
Tom
Old 05-22-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Hi, Larry; welcome aboard the EZ forum.

If you want to see the EZ equipment in person, I'm glad to extend an invite to you to visit my shop. I'm in Kerrville (West of San Antonio), about 4+ hours from you. Perhaps a nice trip to San Antonio River Walk, or, Fredericksburg Hill Country? Your wife will enjoy those places, and I'm just a stone's throw down the road. Send me a PM on this forum and we can discuss more if you are interested.
Hi Rick...thank you very much for the invitation. Wow, we would love to take a trip over to Hill Country but I don't know when I could find the time between now and who knows when. Since buying our home on 7.5 acres last Fall, we have spent all but a few weekends working on the property. Right now we have a pool going in and a steel building being constructed plus...7.5 acres to maintain. I long for the weekend where we literally have nothing to do and can either goof around all weekend or actually go somewhere. That said, I will put some heavy thought into seeing if there is anyway we can take you up on your offer!

BTW...one of my wife's favorite places is Kerrville; I like it as well but I am partial to Fredericksburg.

Quote:
RE. EZ equipment:
-It's a bit tough to predict ahead of time what you might need. Track? yes; how much? hmmm- seems one can't have 'too much', but how do you determine that? EZ-1? definitely makes woodworking EZ-er; but, 8' version, or, 4' version? tough call. Personally, I prefer the 4' version for 98% of my projects; the remaining 2% are easily dealt with using other means. And, some users prefer their own shop built version of the EZ-1 (referred to as a PBB. I have both an EZ-1 and a PBB- perfect for my uses). SSRK (router kit)? I absolutely love mine; tho, a couple of users absolutely detest theirs. UEG (universal edge guide)? You can make do without it, but once you have it, you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner- a definite add to the 'acquire' side of the tool acquisition list. Etc., etc.
It does seem to be a bewildering number of choices sometimes but some of the things you mention (SSRK, UEG) are already on my must have list. I have also thought about a PBB but at this point may just bite the bullet and go with the EZ1 Max...spendy but with all my projects I think it would allow me to get to work pretty quickly after getting everything squared up and getting through the learning curve.

Quote:
In my EZ experience, having the EZ equipment is a great starting point; and because EZ extrusions are so adaptable to different working methods/needs, what you do with them to build your 'system' is up to your imagination. I'm thinking that is why 'conventional wisdom' is to start small and build up once you've a bit of 'hands-on' time with EZ.

HTH,
Rick
I can definitely see how conventional wisdom, is, well, probably the "wise" thing to do. I don't always approach things in a head first fashion but this may be one where I do...we'll see...still researching but want to make a decision sometime this week so that I can get things ordered.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Larry,

To add to what Rick said - if you're going to be making faux ship-lap panels out of plywood, and assuming that you will be ripping the 6" strips out of 4x8 sheets, I would recommend the UEG as one of your first purchases. With that and a support table of some kind, you will make short work of turning a sheet into 6" strips. I started with the EZ Smart Table but felt that it didn't give me enough support for ripping full sheets so I made one out of plywood strips that sits on top of two saw horses. This table can also be used with a hand-held router and edge guide to hold the strips while rabbeting the edges of the strips to make the ship-laps.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice on the UEG; I am pretty certain that this will be one of my purchases.

I like the support table you made...looks like it would break down pretty quickly if you had to. For the first time in my life I am going to have the space to where I won't need to worry to much about shop footprint...it isn't limitless but decent enough that I can have a more permanent set-up without having to fight with getting vehicles in and out of a garage.