The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 PM

Default Tool maintenance

Once in a blue moon, on a whim I decide to really clean my tools. I get out the solvents, soaps, and oils, break down everything and really clean them up.

I take a an additional step to wax my tools with sliding surfaces, specifically my EZ tracksaw guides, table saw, and Incra LS router system. I also clean my saw base with a little steel wool and my blades with solvent. Wow! I always forget what an improvement it makes in effort and speed. I should do this more often.

Reminds me how important well maintained tools are to quality and efficiency.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:07 PM

I always wondered if a coat of wax would help or hinder the track/base movement. I seem to recall hearing that I should avoid more modern car "waxes" that contain silicone - or something like that.

So are you using old fashioned paste wax?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:20 PM

Default Paint contamination

Silicone will certainly contaminate paint and other finishes. Another contaminate in everybody's shop is WD40. It'll fisheye paint and clear in a heart beat.

If I was waxing rails, I would just Johnson Paste Wax or Carnauba wax sticks (as used on turning projects).
Old 10-17-2016, 12:39 AM

I usually use Johnson paste wax but have used various types of furniture wax. Like Jeff said, avoid silicone and oils like WD40 ( Water Deterrent #40) because they can ruin any chance for a good finish.

I use mineral spirits, paint thinner, or acetone to clean blades. For lubing parts that require it, I use a drop of mineral oil or a dab of heavy grease.

I also wipe mineral oil on my hand planes and chisels and keep them tucked away when not using them to help avoid rust.

That said, I don't any of this as regularly as I should. It's hard to take the time for serious maintenance when there's a job waiting.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:29 PM

I usually use Kleinís Multi-Purpose Cleaner.I start by filling the bucket with hot water and a small amount of commercial cleaner. Soak the tools in the bucket for 30 seconds to a minute.With wire brush, I scrub the tools to remove dirt and grime.Rinse and repeat until all dirt has been cleared from the tool.Allow time for everything to dry.As a final cleaning,I use a small amount of Kleinís Multi-Purpose Cleaner and wipe down each tool.