The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Dewalt DW384 Track Base

I recently purchased a Dewalt DW384 saw and it doesn’t properly fit the EzSmart Universal Saw Base that came with the rail kit. Has anyone successfully created one for their own use and would be willing to share their design. I have a CNC router table, if needed, and would like to build my own to specifically fit this saw.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB View Post
I recently purchased a Dewalt DW384 saw and it doesn’t properly fit the EzSmart Universal Saw Base that came with the rail kit. Has anyone successfully created one for their own use and would be willing to share their design. I have a CNC router table, if needed, and would like to build my own to specifically fit this saw.

In the pic, you can see the 7 1/4" version of your saw on an older EZ saw base- it doesn't quite fit either. I let the back end of the DW saw hang over the EZ base- works fine.

In front of the saw, you can see pieces of 1/4" ply arranged on the EZ track to approximate how one might fabricate their own saw base for the track: two pieces of 1/4", or thicker, material; snugged up against either side of the raised portion of the EZ track; held together by two pieces of cross-laid material, fore and aft, laid at 90˚. This base would then attach to the bottom of your saw. My main EZ saw is made similar to this, using 1/4" HDPE plastic- I've used it like this for 6-7 years.

Also, on the saw you referenced, you could remove and remount the saw-to-base attachment points from the factory-supplied saw base, to your homemade saw base. Would take a bit of careful layout to make sure the blade cuts parallel to the track, but could work; might gain you 1/8-3/16" more depth of cut.

Also, here is another idea for a saw base:

http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4811

HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3530.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	7172  
Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Thanks for the suggestions

Rick thanks for both posts. I may remove the base as you suggested and see if I can machine something. I have a laser indicator for my cnc router and using its Mach3 software, I should be able to accurately duplicate the base mounting. I'll try it in MDF first and move on to HDPE is all goes well. Both materials machine very well as a trial and finished product.