The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Package design advice

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Process for plywood

Almost purchased the DeWalt track-saw when I came onto your site. Very interesting, also very confusing. So let me explain my dilemma, and you can suggest some alternatives:
1. Need to throw a 4X8 sheet of plywood onto something that won't move or collapse before cutting. I sold off my shop and work solo. I'm not strong enough to gently lift and place on table. And I'm short, so a high table is out.
2. I don't understand your build it yourself table system...but maybe that's the way to go.
3. Most of the guides/tools would seem to work great for smaller pieces of ply, but not for the whole sheet. What am I missing?

So if I can figure out step 1. then we can more onto more interesting questions.

Thanks for your help. ---geoff
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
Almost purchased the DeWalt track-saw when I came onto your site. Very interesting, also very confusing. So let me explain my dilemma, and you can suggest some alternatives:
1. Need to throw a 4X8 sheet of plywood onto something that won't move or collapse before cutting. I sold off my shop and work solo. I'm not strong enough to gently lift and place on table. And I'm short, so a high table is out.
2. I don't understand your build it yourself table system...but maybe that's the way to go.
3. Most of the guides/tools would seem to work great for smaller pieces of ply, but not for the whole sheet. What am I missing?

So if I can figure out step 1. then we can more onto more interesting questions.

Geoff,
I've worked solo for years. Started out using horses with sleeper 2x4's. Get the plywood onto the horses, slide the 2x's under then setup my EZ track system. Ripsizer and other tools didn't exist yet. Now I have an old computer table with folding legs that I can set the Smart Table on. When I'm done I take the Smart Table off and I have a work table. Dino's plans size the Smart Table so it's small enough(2'x4') to transport around and still extend the arms to a size large enough to accommodate a 4'x8' sheet. Folding legs aren't that high, I think 30". Still a small issue of getting the sheet onto the table, but with rubber feet the table stays reasonably stationary. Use a little applied physics to avoid lifting the full sheet. Stand the sheet on end, lean it onto the table, lift opposite end and slide into position. This works from the side also. The Smart Table supports a full sheet nicely. Then it's your option, use just the Track System with clamps, use the Ripsizer, the Universal Edge Guide, the Track with the EZ Square, the Cabinetmaker. Sheets are knocked down to finished sizes, no rough cutting and run to the TS. Of course "squaring" is up to the operator. If you setup square, your cuts will be square. The Track System will give you nice clean edges. Better than you ever thought possible from a circular saw.
I ordered the STK and made my own table. The STK includes the tracks and all hardware. You supply the wood. Or you can order it pre-built by Dino. I would guess the deciding factor is how many dead presidents do you want to trade for it!

Bruce H. (EZ Thief)
EZ One PBB, 27" Ripsizer, Cabinetmaker w/extra repeater, PBB to STK, STK, Dual SSRK w/stops, SRK, 1-72" EZ Track, 2-50" EZ Tracks, 36", 24" EZ Tracks, EZ Miter Square w/Handle, 2 Sets Smart Clamps w/upgrade, Long Smart Clamps, Makita 5008 MGA CS w/dust collector and shield, Hilti WSC 267-E, DIY SPK and a UEG.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Geoff,
not sure what would work for you specifically, but here's what most of us on the forum use.
Pic one shows what's called the 'Smart Table', in it's folded-up position, which is 2' x 4'. In my case, I mounted the plastic pieces to a piece of 3/4" ply, added a bit of a skirt to keep it from flexing, and, when I use it, I place it on short sawhorses (I'm also a short guy).
Pic two shows the smart table in it's extended form, now measuring ~4' wide x ~6' long.
Last pic shows smart table holding a piece of 3/4" ply, with two pieces of 50" track joined together, ready to cut.
The smart tables can be made in almost any configuration imaginable. If most of what you're wanting to do is cut up 4x 8 ply, or similar, what I've shown should work great.
Sometimes, when I have a lot of sheets to cut, and I'll be pushing and shoving, etc., I'll screw through the saw horses into the skirts of the smart table, and everything then becomes monolithic.
Smart table is light, lasts forever, is way versatile, and everyone that sees mine wants to 'steal' it.
Hopefully, this answers your question?
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart table-  closed.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	4347   Click image for larger version

Name:	smart table-  open.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	4348   Click image for larger version

Name:	smart table-  w:ply.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	4349  
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:

Geoff,

I think the Smart table is what you want, This table is made with processing full sheets in mind.

I also work alone on most cases and have found it very easy to slide a sheet of ply off a truck and directly onto the table. If I am working a larger proiject I have the plywood put on a shelf and slide it off the shelf and onto the table.

For Full sheets once you get them on the table, there are a number of options.

First and oldest is just using the rail. Mark, align the rail to the marks and cut.

Second, is the repeaters. Put them on a long rail (8' plus), set the width and rip as many pieces as you need.

Third and newest of our ripping solutions is a ripsizer. It is set much like the repeaters but is pushed along the board - actually no limit to the length you can cut.

4th lets think about the square. Put it on a 54" or longer rail and cross cut full sheets of ply. Chaanging it into a cabinet maker adds a measuring capability so you can cross several pieces to the same size.

5th is the EZ One. It can cross cut a full sheet but it's capacity is limited to about 4'.

This is just a quick review. You might want to spend some time on you tube - Search for Eurekazone. There are video's that will give you much more detail.

Burt
Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:

Geoff,

You should definitely look at the Smart Table Kit as a cutting platform. If you have the option to pull directly off a pickup or trailer, size it so the top, with the supports, is at or even a bit below the pickup/trailer/whatever bed.

Buying or building a EZ-One or Powerbench table depends on what you're doing, space available, etc. I absolutely love my DIY Powerbench that I use primarily for crosscuts thus far.

Depending on what you're doing and how often, a track package _may_ be a good starting solution. See http://eurekazone.com/product-catalo...k-saw-packages for 108" or 118" packages. Alternatively, the RipSizer is very well liked by users here for ripping sheet stock.

I started with the Smart Table Kit (STK) and 114" package a couple years ago. I was absolutely floored at how good and easy and SAFE my cuts were. I later bought a B-300 bridge, to integrate as part of my powerbench, and Super Smart Router Kit, both of which are excellent products. I just bought a bunch of extrusions with a plan only to make a dedicated optimum length for my bridge but know that I will use the other stuff somehow someday.

Good luck,
Roy
Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 AM

Thanks to all for your ideas. I spent a few more hours looking at videos on the web and got a sense of how the system works. Then I spoke to Dino and went with his recommendations...54" track, cabinet maker set, ripsizer and a couple of odds and ends, and DIY table. Looking forward to getting all going. ---geoff

Tags
4x8, plywood, sheet