The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Home Renovations

Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Washer-Dryer Pedestal Plans

Does anyone have a good set of plans or ideas for washer/dryer pedestals with drawers? I have a concept in my head but I thought one of you might have a better idea. When I bought the units I couldn’t bring myself to pay $300 each for pedestals on units I only paid $500 for.

As a lot of you may have experienced when getting into wood working the first thing you end up doing is the Honeydo projects.

The next project after the pedestals is to make a portable sewing table.

Kurt
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM

I made a pair for an elderly friend of mine who had problems bending over because of her back. I didn't make drawers, but I made the box out of 3/4-inch plywood. The only hard part was getting the washer and dryer up on top of the pedestals after they were done!

If I were building them again with drawers, I'd build a 3/4-inch ply box with the front open, just like kitchen base cabinets (except for the dimensions, of course) and use full-extension ball-bearing slides for the drawers. The same construction methods and materials for this would be the same as for kitchen cabinets.

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
I made a pair for an elderly friend of mine who had problems bending over because of her back. I didn't make drawers, but I made the box out of 3/4-inch plywood. The only hard part was getting the washer and dryer up on top of the pedestals after they were done!

If I were building them again with drawers, I'd build a 3/4-inch ply box with the front open, just like kitchen base cabinets (except for the dimensions, of course) and use full-extension ball-bearing slides for the drawers. The same construction methods and materials for this would be the same as for kitchen cabinets.
'Think I would add a little beef in the corners. The washers get rather heavy.

Burt
Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
'Think I would add a little beef in the corners. The washers get rather heavy.

Burt
That reminds me (well, I did build them almost four years ago)--I was concerned about the weight, so after I glued all four sides together, I put a rabbeting bit in my router and cut a 3/8-inch wide rabbet inside to inlay the top piece of plywood. The feet of the washer were very close to the corners of the top, so this transferred the weight from the top directly to the sides. I wouldn't trust a nailed-and-glued top for sure, I wanted it as sturdy as I could get it. If I were doing it with an open front for drawers, I'd be tempted to double-up the plywood sides and back(making the inner side 3/4-inch shorter to function like my rabbet did). I guessed that a full load of clothes in the washer would make the total weight at least 300 pounds, and I weighed a nifty two-fifty at the time, and it easily took my weight (jumping up and down on it) without a hint of complaint. The corners were finger-jointed with glue, so they were pretty sturdy too. As my father used to day "anything worth doing is worth over-doing."

"Don't sweat the petty things,
and don't pet the sweaty things!"
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Add a slide out folding table for under the dryer. A slide out basket for lost socks would be handy also. Consider a pole next to the dryer that has an arm that swings out of the way to hang stuff. The only way to make it EZr would be to get someone else to do the laundry.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Guys thanks for the info!

Lex when I teach classes to contractors I use a similar but fake Joke quote from my dad.

Like my Daddy always use to say "If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing twice or three times"

Kurt
Old 05-31-2018, 06:01 AM

I had a similar problem. Luckily, my husband built a great base below our washer and dryer. We have lg dlgx4371w and it fits perfectly with the whole design. I wanted to have enough space for everything and a base below the appliance really helps.