The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Default Good idea for a Square

Too bad it's not for EZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcPAYyZZTUs
Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Looking at the general concept, it wouldn't bee too hard to make a similar design for the EZ track. You have the connector slots on the bottom so there's the one part. No groove on the left side for the clamp, but how hard would it be to either machine a slot in the top of the track, or drill a couple of holes, and modify/adapt the clamp to suit?

The TSO web site says "Patent Pending" which would be a problem - do you think that there are enough EZ users out there to warrant their making a unit just for us? If the price was reasonable, I might consider one - although you would have to work around the double ACE requirement of the EZ. But, switching to the solid PVC strip like Dik does would take care of that problem.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Would be interesting to see the patent. This concept would work very well with EZ track. If I had a CNC, I'd probably make one for myself. I might see what I can kludge together for a prototype.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM

The key feature is the milled face that registers to the side of the track that keeps it square. For the EZ track you could have a slug that fit the slot in the side of the track that the camlock attached to to pull the Square against the track side.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Dik,

I know that you made a Sketch-Up model for the track. Do you have a feel for the tolerance on the height of the "point" in the connector slot? The T-section of the square would have to be a slight clearance on the width of the slot, but the underside of the T would have to be tight enough to the points to hold it in place and stop the track from lifting off the body of the square while still allowing assembly - I don't think a piece of connector would work as the "fit" needs to allow the clamp to pull the track tight to the 90 locating surface so needs some side-to-side clearance.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

That is a nice square. I still have a Makita rail so I may just decide to get one.

Burt
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM

I have a Makita rail and saw, just got one of the squares but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'd like to see a version for the EZ track to use with my SSRK for cutting dadoes.