The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Default Upgrade questions

Hi All.
I bought a package back in 07-08 (the early days). It has served me well but it might be time for some upgrades and I have a few questions;

New base My old style mounted to my Hilti WSC 167 still works good but I need new inserts...should I just upgrade?The new base seems to have some nice features.

Track I think there have been some tolerance spec inconsistency over the years...will my old track and base mate up with new track?

Smart Table (Multi form Table Top?) Can you still get the plastic Smart Table kit? It was half the price of the multi form and worked great???

Any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance
Colin
Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 PM

Only question I have any opinion on is the first. I have both old and new Bases. IMO the only reason to switch to a new Base is if you want to use a UEG. The new Base is larger than the old, which is something I don't like. The Inserts used in the new Base work in the old Base.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM

That makes sense. The original package I bought had a Repeater. I used it at first but ended up using parts of it to make a stop set for my miter saw station...I suspect something similar would happen to a UEG. I don't do enough repeat cut work for those rigs

You saved me $50. Thanks
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Thats a great point Colin. Lots of us started using just the tracks, and they did us just fine.

If you don't do a lot of cuts that require exactly the same length or width, then the tracks with the older style base should do you just fine.

Recently I decided I wanted to try out the UEG, so I had to swap out my EZ-Ready Hitachi saw's older style base with the current style - so I could dedicate it to use with the UEG (I also recently purchased a used Makita saw with the current base for use with an EZ-One Workstation).

So, its easy enough to swap out the base (even I could do it), but it shouldn't be necessary if you won't use the UEG.

If you want to buy additional track or track add-ons, I'd suggest you call EurekaZone and check with compatability first. They should be able to help you. Years back there was some kind of compatibility issue concerns with my tracks (can't recall details) and they were real good about working with me on it.

About the current Smart Table-like options ... I find the descriptions almost un-decipherable. I wish they'd read this forum and understand how confused their customer base is about these products. I have the original plastic Smart Table and does me great. Not sure what improvement they needed to do. Certainly not sure why they'd move to much more expensive aluminum components ... if that's what they did with the current offering (still confused).
Old 04-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the input. I am going to call and see if they have any old plastic smart table kits kick'n around and order some new track, anti-chip inserts n such. I am curious how many Multiform top kits they are selling at that $125 price point.

C