The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > RipSizer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 PM
ohio ohio is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 36
Default UEG question

Hi, thinking of buying the universal edge guide. One question first. How do you know/see where you are cutting? I.e. What is the process to cut 12 inches off a piece of plywood? How ong does it take to set up to then decide to cut off 7.25 inches for the next rip? I have seen several videos of ripping along with speed and great happiness, but nothing that demos how to rip exactly 12 inches off a piece of ply. Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated:-) Pictures or videos doubly so. :-)

Thank you,

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Dik Harrison Dik Harrison is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Evans, GA
Posts: 1,604
Default

I put self sticking tapes on each leg and zeroed them with the saw blade against the fence. I then just set to the measurement I want on both sides and cut.

Without the measuring tapes, for each leg, you just need to measure the desired distance from the fence to the saw blade and lock the leg at that distance.
__________________
Have fun...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 PM
tomp913 tomp913 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
I put self sticking tapes on each leg and zeroed them with the saw blade against the fence. I then just set to the measurement I want on both sides and cut.

Without the measuring tapes, for each leg, you just need to measure the desired distance from the fence to the saw blade and lock the leg at that distance.
From reading this, I'm assuming that there's enough "slop" between the base and tracks that each end has to be set individually? This then is the need to have a measurement at each end of the base to maintain the saw blade parallel to the fence when tightening the knobs?

Thinking about buying the UEG and Cabinet Maker and trying to learn some of the quirks before I taken the plunge.

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM
tofu tofu is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nyc
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
From reading this, I'm assuming that there's enough "slop" between the base and tracks that each end has to be set individually? This then is the need to have a measurement at each end of the base to maintain the saw blade parallel to the fence when tightening the knobs?

Thinking about buying the UEG and Cabinet Maker and trying to learn some of the quirks before I taken the plunge.

Thanks,

Tom
yes you can have up to 1/8" variance if you try hard enough
__________________
-Christopher

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 AM
tomp913 tomp913 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
yes you can have up to 1/8" variance if you try hard enough
Thanks, good to know. The earlier post about putting scales zeroed to the blade and inside face of the fence make sense then as that would make it easy to get identical settings at each end of the base, keeping the blade parallel to the fence while also making it easy to set the saw to cut the required width.

Regards,

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 AM
MichaelP MichaelP is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 14
Default

I intend to put measure tapes on my UEG because I think it's a nice touch.
However in the meantime I've used it several times already where I measured my cut, put a pencil mark on the wood, adjusted the saw guide to the pencil mark and let 'er rip! No problems, EZ for sure. I love to over think and over engineer things but the UEG is a simple tool that works as advertised.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.