The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Track System Power Tools and Dust Collection

Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Default Ryobi 18-v 5 1/2" left-bladed saw on regular gray base?

Hi all,

I'm back after very long hiatus because the physical therapist said I should restrict use on my hands. They are better, though I still have to be careful and start with very light use. Also lighter lifting, etc. I have my instructions but am beginning to do some woodworking again.

I have a 5 1/2" inch 18 volt Ryobi that came with a kit. I've rarely used it. I thought about putting it on a base and had ordered the old black base, then upgraded to the gray fin base, though I still haven't installed it. It's a really small saw with the blade on the left side and either base seems pretty large for it. Has anyone put one of these on a base? It would be quite handy for cutting a few pieces of wood (which I often do). I think the fin would make it safer for off-track too and also could use with a small piece of track. The nice thing is that it's light and so will be less strain. Here's the saw with the kit. I could not find it singly.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...P842/100593255

Not even sure it will fit on the large base, but it looks like it could. What do you all think? The left side blade I know is less safe, but with a track/fin may be better.

I did see Dino's video with the small porter cable, but that's a very different, much better saw. It had a different base than the standard one.

Cheers,
Katie
Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

I've put a 5 1/2" Makita, a 5 3/8" Makita and a 6 1/2" Makita on the EZ Base. Since the saw is a left blade saw, you will need one of the new gray bases (apparently that is the one you have) to do a proper installation. Either of the black bases can be modified for use on the small saw. On one saw, I kept just enough of the base to make it as long as the saw base. I used a piece of 1/2" plastic to create an AC2 (the insert that goes in the base for use on the rail.) It worked well.

Burt

Last edited by Burt; 10-04-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Thank you, Burt. I'll see how I can make it work. I'll try the full size base first and think about cutting it if that seems to make sense later.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 AM

Checking in for FOllowup...

I have 3 of those Ryobi 501 Saws. Blue and Green. They are my main framing saws as I am in an off-grid situation. I have considered mounting one on the saw base, but I wonder if it would be worth it. I figure, on the track, I would only be able to handle 1/2"-11/16" thick Material.

For sizing OSB for sheathing that’s great, but is it worth $50 invested in a saw base?

64" Track, 2x-36" Track, Smart Table (aluminum extrusions), EZ Square, Smart Clamp System, 4 - Regular Smart Clamps

DeWalt DW384 and DeWalt DCS391B On Track.
--
54" track, Deep Smart Clamps and SSRK Coming Soon.

Tags
ryobi 18-volt, small saw