The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 04-16-2019, 02:09 PM

You might want to give them the benefit of the doubt. Kreg seems to market tools that are well thought out and work well. I'm guessing they did the same with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
So, they cobbed together an old bridge design, a cheap copy of a festool looking track and without router option?

I do like the wheels on the table. But not $899 worth.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
So, they cobbed together an old bridge design, a cheap copy of a festool looking track and without router option?

I do like the wheels on the table. But not $899 worth.
I think that table base is only around $160? On my mobile so not sure.

If so, very reasonable if you compare it to brand name miter saw stands.

Have you seen festool's new folding cut center with the integrated systainer storage? Very cool. The small size makes even more sense for UEG users because they will never need giant table capacity to rip unless you are trying to straighten out boards.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM

I went and looked at what you get from Kreg for your $899. It's the saw, track, table top, cart and all the various stops, protractor etc. That seems like a lot to me. If it works well I don't know how that is not a pretty good deal.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I went and looked at what you get from Kreg for your $899. It's the saw, track, table top, cart and all the various stops, protractor etc. That seems like a lot to me. If it works well I don't know how that is not a pretty good deal.
Agree.

After watching a few videos and reading the owner's manual, I am impressed! What's not to like? Most of a person's repetitive and basic tasks are easily accomplished; custom tasks just as easily; and, easy to adapt for one's personal work-requirement needs. Very well thought out and executed! (I can only guess that their version of an SSRK will be out soon. If not, a person could make one easily.)

So, for ~$900 you can get the 'full-meal-deal' from Kreg, or, for almost that, you can buy just the saw from Mafell....... hmmm...... (Yes, I know that the Mafell is a 'fine piece of machinery', but if the Kreg cuts just as well, AND provides a fairly complete work station and doo-dads, makes me wonder which one makes a dollar do more?). And then, there's all the other manufacturers scattered somewhere in between.

Plus, did you notice their many, and good, videos? Clear and precise manuals? Loads of instructions? Sweet!! It's like having multiple guides to lead one thru the wilderness.

I have to admit, tho, after reading the Kreg literature and watching the videos, I began to feel very old and tired...... I've spent years making my EZ stuff work like the Kreg does straight out of the box....; and, my EZ-tweaks still don't match the quick and easy precision of the Kreg offering. Don't get me wrong- I've thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated EZ for these past years; I think, tho,that I'm hitting that time of life where I don't have the patience and drive to 'make' something work- I'm ready for it to work w/out me cajoling, creating, and cursing at it to get it to do what I think it is supposed to do.
Guess I'm at that 'grumpy old man' stage of life........ (ahhh..... bliss....)
Rick
ps. still have an EZ-1 and loads of misc. extrusions for sale.....pm me if interested.

Last edited by bumpnstump; 04-16-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Agree.

After watching a few videos and reading the owner's manual, I am impressed! What's not to like? Most of a person's repetitive and basic tasks are easily accomplished; custom tasks just as easily; and, easy to adapt for one's personal work-requirement needs. Very well thought out and executed! (I can only guess that their version of an SSRK will be out soon. If not, a person could make one easily.)

So, for ~$900 you can get the 'full-meal-deal' from Kreg, or, for almost that, you can buy just the saw from Mafell....... hmmm...... (Yes, I know that the Mafell is a 'fine piece of machinery', but if the Kreg cuts just as well, AND provides a fairly complete work station and doo-dads, makes me wonder which one makes a dollar do more?). And then, there's all the other manufacturers scattered somewhere in between.

Plus, did you notice their many, and good, videos? Clear and precise manuals? Loads of instructions? Sweet!! It's like having multiple guides to lead one thru the wilderness.

I have to admit, tho, after reading the Kreg literature and watching the videos, I began to feel very old and tired...... I've spent years making my EZ stuff work like the Kreg does straight out of the box....; and, my EZ-tweaks still don't match the quick and easy precision of the Kreg offering. Don't get me wrong- I've thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated EZ for these past years; I think, tho,that I'm hitting that time of life where I don't have the patience and drive to 'make' something work- I'm ready for it to work w/out me cajoling, creating, and cursing at it to get it to do what I think it is supposed to do.
Guess I'm at that 'grumpy old man' stage of life........ (ahhh..... bliss....)
Rick
ps. still have an EZ-1 and loads of misc. extrusions for sale.....pm me if interested.
Ha - sounds like me. Been with EZ almost since the beginning but now that I have a couple newer hobbies (and getting old) I too didn't like spending time fine tuning EZ almost every time I went to use it. I work out of the garage so I need to setup and breakdown these tools often.

I have now used my MFT type tops with my track saw a few times and really like it. I now have a 4'x8' work table that I can set up or take down in less than 5 minutes. I'm struggling a little getting familiar with squaring work with bench dogs but getting there quickly.

All that said, I still haven't yet found a better way to rip sheet goods than using my UEG with 1x4's in pyramids (With the pegs the pyramids work nicely on my MFT tops). Plus I quickly was able to get the SSRK to work on my Makita & Festool rails.

Mike
Old 04-17-2019, 01:05 PM

Ha, sounds like me also. Still doing some projects but wondering which will be my last. Finding my largest frustration is dust control, just so tired of having to clean the whole place after each project. EZ dust control really is minimal.
It's likely too late for me now, too few projects left, to invest in another system but it would have been interesting and likely more rewarding to have worked with tools like Festool that have put dust control as a priority along with being more developed and a bigger community working on good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
Ha - sounds like me. Been with EZ almost since the beginning but now that I have a couple newer hobbies (and getting old) I too didn't like spending time fine tuning EZ almost every time I went to use it. I work out of the garage so I need to setup and breakdown these tools often.

I have now used my MFT type tops with my track saw a few times and really like it. I now have a 4'x8' work table that I can set up or take down in less than 5 minutes. I'm struggling a little getting familiar with squaring work with bench dogs but getting there quickly.

All that said, I still haven't yet found a better way to rip sheet goods than using my UEG with 1x4's in pyramids (With the pegs the pyramids work nicely on my MFT tops). Plus I quickly was able to get the SSRK to work on my Makita & Festool rails.

Mike
Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Hey, it's back again, again, again.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:53 AM

Wondering if it's a crappy hosting provider.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Master Carpenter

from what I was told is a defense "shut-down" to avoid spammers and
other bad stuff....
Old Today, 02:11 AM

Just seems this site is down way more than any other site I visit.