The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM

Default Anyone tried these new Rockler clamps yet? (item #54280)

I'm interested to know if the T-headed bolt is fixed inside the mechanism, or if it can be removed and replaced with an EZ extrusion based mount. I like the new EZ bench clamps but these have a tightening knob to fix its angle and placement on the track, plus they seem to be more low profile.

http://www.rockler.com/auto-lock-t-t...p?SSAID=377553
Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 PM

Hi Aaron, I don't have that clamp but I do have the other version, the inline or push clamp. The EZ clamps are my "go to" clamps for the EZ One, but the Rocklers are lower profile. In any case, all it has is a t-bolt that can be unscrewed. I haven't adapted it to the EZ one, so I can't say how it would work on EZ extrusions, but I don't see why not. They do sell a bracket, so if you want to use it in a jig and put the jig in the ez-one, that will work, too. Here's the one I have:
http://www.rockler.com/auto-lock-t-track-clamp

Last edited by Goblu; 03-19-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. These are quite new, so I was hoping someone with one of the push clamps would chime in. I should have worded it that way.

I use a beveling jig that holds my wood at an incline while I cut along a level track, and I have a hard time with clamps sliding down the incline between cuts as I adjust the wood. The regular EZ clamps work pretty well, but the tightening wheel on these guys looks perfect to me for this specific scenario.

My only other concerns then are how well they tighten down, and the holding force of such a low profile clamp and its auto-tightening mechanism. Larger wood pieces really don't want to stay put during the cut stroke (I'm usually making non-square items, so things want to slide to one side).

Anyway, I don't have any projects requiring the jig at the moment, so I may wait and see if anyone else has some feedback down the road. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 PM

Your jig sound interesting. Any pictures?

I took one of the connectors out of the EZ table clamps and put it in my rockler inline clamp. The adjuster wheel worked fine on it and it did stay put from what I can tell, though I wasn't clamping anything with it, just trying to move it on the ssme and it didn't budge. I noticed that Rockler did not give specs for those clamps in terms of clamping pressure. Of course, the EZ clamps are very heavy duty and the Rockler clamps are made for T-track, so it's hard to tell how well they'd hold up.

I just had a Bessey self-adjusting inline clamp fail. It's the clamp that looks like the Rockler, but no adjusting wheel. It was an inline clamp that I had attached to my Kreg pockethole jig. It worked really well that way, but a small piece broke off that was part of the clamping mechanism. It didn't ruin the piece, but I was surprised that it broke. I don't overclamp or overtighten, so it must have been some flaw in the metal. I did use it quite a bit before it broke, though. In any case, Bessey is sending me a new one after I sent them a pic of how it failed.