The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 04-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Katie,
That makes sense using the fin or "riving knife" off track. The fin is just a safety feature.

Phil,
Thanks for the clarity.

Bump,
From my understanding the Hill Country in Texas is very nice. Maybe I'll get there someday.
The more we are talking about this the more I am starting to get it. Basically, you can use parts of the system and build it into your work flow to make you more productive or less taxing on your body.
I am going to get the track and the UEG a try. Hell, right now I get the free bag with the 54" track.
Giving something an honest effort in trying something out is like my use of Chief Architect drawing software. When I first started with it.... it was laborious. I could just draw it faster by hand. then as I got used to it I can get something going on the screen if about 1/5 the time. that was 10 years ago and today I can whip out a kitchen on Chief in about a half hour. By hand that would take me 3 hours. Sorta the same thing.
So, after I get the gear, get it going I'll report back with some feedback.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Marty
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty View Post
Katie,
That makes sense using the fin or "riving knife" off track. The fin is just a safety feature.

Phil,
Thanks for the clarity.

Bump,
From my understanding the Hill Country in Texas is very nice. Maybe I'll get there someday.
The more we are talking about this the more I am starting to get it. Basically, you can use parts of the system and build it into your work flow to make you more productive or less taxing on your body.
I am going to get the track and the UEG a try. Hell, right now I get the free bag with the 54" track.
Giving something an honest effort in trying something out is like my use of Chief Architect drawing software. When I first started with it.... it was laborious. I could just draw it faster by hand. then as I got used to it I can get something going on the screen if about 1/5 the time. that was 10 years ago and today I can whip out a kitchen on Chief in about a half hour. By hand that would take me 3 hours. Sorta the same thing.
So, after I get the gear, get it going I'll report back with some feedback.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Marty
Right-on, Marty, I think you've nailed it.

Part of the 'problem' w/EZ stuff is that it IS very adaptive; only, it's not apparent till one applies a bit of 'outside the box' thinking to the extrusions. There's bunches of posts on the forum about folks who've come up w/some creative uses for the EZ extrusions. The postings are not all in one spot, so you'll have to do a bit of searching; the 'stickies' part of each forum segment is a good place to start. Best, tho, is to posit to the forum a given task that isn't apparent how one would accomplish using EZ equipment, and see what responses pop up- sometimes it's already been done; other times it turns into a great community project- fun.

Looking forward to your analysis once you get the equipment in hand.
Rick
ps Spring has descended upon the Texas Hill Country We went from Wintry visuals/temperature a couple of weeks ago, to green everywhere, and shorts weather..... nice. Will be doing a short road trip in the country this weekend to start soaking up some of the gorgeous Spring wildflowers. (Might try to 'accidentally' steer towards this place: http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/ rated in the top 10 places in Texas.... )
Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM

If you're looking at making cabinets you should think seriously about adding a Cabinetmaker to your list. The UEG will size your material in one direction, you'll now need to square cut them to size. The Cabinetmaker gets you the Square for your 90 degree cuts plus a length stop for repeat cuts.
Every time I use mine I appreciate how much quicker and more accurate it is than measuring and marking each cut.

Quote:
Bump.

Thanks for the reply. You made my day with your comments. You're right on brother, the product is the product and since reading your comments I have looked at the system in a whole new light. I just built my last house for myself. So, I have a boat-load of cabinets to build for the oversized garage/shop. I've got a good supply of plywood that I will be using. So, instead of going to Woodworkers Store i am just going to give something a try and go right to the company website. I was thinking of starting with the 54" track kit and the Universal Edge Guide. I am assuming I can use the saw base for both of those. What do you think?
The other question I had was, Is it doable to cut plywood with the Universal Edge Guide on the vertical? I have a pile of plywood leaning on the wall in the garage and I would like to cut it up right where it sets. It appears I can because the "riving knife" on the bottom of the saw base will assist in the blade not binding right at the end. Is that right? The Anti EZ clerk at Woodworkers store said it would bind up on me.

Now for more important things, How far from Corpus Christi are you. My best man in my wedding lives and owns a sign business in Corpus Christi. I owe him a visit. If that happens we can get some BBQ and a cold beer. I owe you one, man.

Lastly, if Phil is still monitoring my posting here on the site. I was more disappointed in what seemed to be a lack of interest on EZ part when a prospect goes into one of their dealers and gets slammed with negativity. I was under the impression that this site was tied to the company since I got to it from the first page of the company's website. But, what Phil is telling me the company has nothing to do with this site. Seems strange then that prospect get here from their website.
nuf said.

thanks again Bump.

Marty
Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Sean,

I understand your enthusiasm for the product but I am going to learn to crawl with the product before I start to walk or run. I still own a table saw that can handle the pcs. of plywood once I have them cut down to a manageable size. Plus spending around $250 out of the gate sure beats $450 if I am in the tryout phase. Plus, I've payroll tomorrow and about $16k in receivables.
So, I appreciate your input but for now I am going to go with $250 to see what I think instead of of $450.

Marty
Old 04-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Youtube videos on the UEG with vertical cutting of plywood

New channel is Eureka Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYezPjhLqs

Old channel is Eurekazone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFziH_ymiOM
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM

Some of the products on the Woodcraft and Rockler websites should have a link to some of the recent videos like the one linked above to the UEG (The first link on the new site is the latest one and more accurate representation of the product, esp. the rulers on the arms). It would be easy enough to do this, putting the link under "technical information), it seems to me, and would help a little with the problem of no one at these places knowing anything about the product. When EZ contracts with these stores, they need to put this in the package.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Katie,
Interesting two videos on the same product. I am right handed and I use a left blade saw since I was taught on a Skil worm drive. I like watching the blade while I cut. I have a Bosch 7 1/4" left blade magnesium blade saw that I will be using. This way I will hold the saw with my right hand and the "guide" with my left.
In both videos both of those guys must be left handed because they both hold the saw with their left hands. Most people hold a tool with their dominate hand. For some reason the tool manufacturers think everyone wants to use a right blade saw. My apprentice carpenter is left handed and he cannot stand to use a left blade saw as he says you have so much more control when you have cut, Garrett uses a right blade and has become very good with it, like cutting stair jacks. That is when seeing the blade is really nice.
Any how thanks for the effort to get me information. I appreciate it.

Marty
Old 04-02-2015, 10:02 PM

I'm left handed, push the saw with my right and prefer left blade saw. Go figure.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 AM

Sean, yeah its done all different ways. I just wonder why saw mfg'ers don't make more left blade saws. I guess it is one more SKU for the big box stores to then stock.
And there are good arguments each way a blade can go.
I watched the videos on the Cabinetmaker add on to the system. Your right that does look like the ticket. I will consider it probably in the future.

Marty
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Bump.

I was thinking of starting with the 54" track kit and the Universal Edge Guide. I am assuming I can use the saw base for both of those. What do you think?
Marty
Marty,

I didn't see an answer below on the base use. Yes, the newest base will work with the UEG and EZ track.

Roy