The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 10-13-2015, 04:23 PM

Default Video: EZ1 Max

Just a quick look at how they ship it, and what it looks like put together etc. I've been out of town a bit so I still haven't cut any wood on it, still need to final adjust square and level on it, but right now I'm happy with my purchase.

LINK TO VIDEO
Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 AM

Whoa, that thing's a bruiser. Heck of a crate, good on EZ for packaging it so well. You're going to be walking along next to it on long cuts, make sure when you position your Bridge that the saw is an easy reach.
Keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Yeah, its definitely not "dainty", I'm heading out to the shop now to set up the saw and see if I can get it dialed in.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the video! I hope you make a follow up in a few months.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:11 AM

Once I get it up and running and get a work flow figured out I'll definitely post a follow up.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:44 PM

Well, it's been a few months. So, I was wondering if any of you EZ1Max users have any new insights or thoughts regarding this huge PBB.

I'm approaching my first winter with the EZSmart system, and I'll have to move most of my work indoors. That presents a space problem. Rather than moving several tools to make space to break down sheet goods, then moving everything back so I can keep working, it might actually save space and time to increase the size of my PBB.

I really like the UEG, but I'm down to one EZ saw and moving it back and forth between the UEG and my PBB is annoying. (Yes, I'll probably just get another saw.)

Anyway, I'm thinking about an extension table that can be quickly attached/unattached to my existing PBB. Together they would easily support a full sheet. Connecting my two guide rails (72" and 64") gives me plenty of length. The extension table would be an assembly table the rest of the time.

As I see it, the advantages would be: 1) just one saw and setup for rips and crosscuts, 2) extension table saves space and serves a dual purpose.

Any advice on such a large setup would be appreciated!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Well, it's been a few months. So, I was wondering if any of you EZ1Max users have any new insights or thoughts regarding this huge PBB.

I'm approaching my first winter with the EZSmart system, and I'll have to move most of my work indoors. That presents a space problem. Rather than moving several tools to make space to break down sheet goods, then moving everything back so I can keep working, it might actually save space and time to increase the size of my PBB.

I really like the UEG, but I'm down to one EZ saw and moving it back and forth between the UEG and my PBB is annoying. (Yes, I'll probably just get another saw.)

Anyway, I'm thinking about an extension table that can be quickly attached/unattached to my existing PBB. Together they would easily support a full sheet. Connecting my two guide rails (72" and 64") gives me plenty of length. The extension table would be an assembly table the rest of the time.

As I see it, the advantages would be: 1) just one saw and setup for rips and crosscuts, 2) extension table saves space and serves a dual purpose.

Any advice on such a large setup would be appreciated!
T,
after getting an EZ-1, I decided to make my own PBB to complement it. After a couple of design-disasters, I went simple and ended up making the PBB out of 4 pieces of track for the sides; raised portion of the tracks facing inside, w/a stiffener sitting on those raised portions to keep the PBB square; 3/4" ply on top, w/an open section in the middle. The outward facing track slots are beyond-belief handy; the entire PBB is very lightweight (can reach thru the open top to the stiffener and pick it up with one hand); easily transports; PBB stays perfectly square; and, the PBB is super rigid. Set it on a couple of horses and it's happy.

My PBB is 17" wide x 51" long, and to increase it's length, or width, or both, or make a "U", or "Z", I use slide in modules. (see the pics).

When it's time to cut long material: slide in modules at each end; slide in modified bridges; attach track; go to work. Perfect for working with Baltic Burch ply (5' square). When I'm finished with the 'large' version of the PBB, I remove the modules and put them on a shelf. Bridges can be mounted for rip cuts or cross-cuts. Everything slides in and out quickly- there is no 'fiddling' to get it set up and running.

This larger version worked so well, I also made a smaller version (~16" x 24"). I use this smaller version lots: fits in the car; extension modules 'nest' inside of the main table and each other (to save space) easy to set up to do miter cuts; can still take modules for wide material, as well as rip cuts to a bit over 4', etc., etc. (5th pic is of the mini PBB, showing set up for rips and crosscuts w/no need to do anything except move the saw from one track to the other.)

I've included a few pics to give you an idea.
HTH,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3238.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	6932   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB extension 3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	6933   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  add-on extensions set up for extreme angle..jpg
Views:	155
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	6934   Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  using extensions - 4.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	6935   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb rip:crosscut.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	6936  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 11-20-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 AM

One of my (seemingly many frustrations) with the EZ1 has been the limitation on cutting longer boards. While looking at the EZ1 Max video posted, this one showed up in the recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBhE9palOk

I'm wondering if it would be easier & more flexible to feed wood under a stationary saw for longer rips of narrow stock rather than have a beast of a table to deal with?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Sometimes you can use the UEG or just use a long track and clamps. I still use my TS to rip long boards (10-16').

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 11-21-2016, 03:42 PM

FYI. Toronto Tool the maker of that Pro Cut 50 is out of business, the owner retired and was not able to sell the rights. I'd seen that tool, in videos, before it's a lot of steel pieces. Welding steel always distorts, I was always curious how he got everything squared up after it was all built.
At some point didn't Dino show a ripsaw with the CS mounted above the material?
A lot of the lumber I buy only has one finished edge and that one usually isn't straight. Even though it can be tedious connecting tracks and fooling around getting it all clamped to my board making one dead straight edge on a crooked board sure feels good. Though usually from there it goes to my TS