The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 PM

Default First major project on my B300 Bridge Setup

Did the bulk of my bench build back in 2014 and just finally built a table saw sled to finish up a stop block for a B300 cross cut jig so I could break down a significant amount of plywood to build some shop cabinets for myself and a buddy. Didn't make it terribly pretty as I plan to make a better one utilizing a 3d printer I recently bought and integrate some Wixey track and the W700 readout into it.

Routed a 1/4" slot with a 1/2" recess so that a 1/4" carriage bolt after a little grinder work fit in nicely. Frog tape and utility knife followed by a red marker made the dual hair line cursor marks. Not really pretty but works really well.

My Paulk Bench with B300 installed for cross cutting.

And setup for ripping with the UEG. I rigged up some dowels in 2x4s to make a smart tablesk type top on the bench that allows the bridge to stay setup while ripping.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:18 PM

Broke down 7 sheets of 3/4", 12 sheets of 1/2" and 2 sheets of 1/4" into 370 parts.

Only ran into two problems.

One my 72" rail isn't as straight as I'd like. The errors it causes aren't bad enough on this project but I need to come up with a way to get the issue fixed. Here's a picture of taking a 4' cross cut and tracing the cut edge once, then flipping it 180 and tracing it again after lining up the ends to the first line.

So depending on how long of a piece I'm cross cutting my cut may or may not be perfectly square. Contemplating getting some extra connectors and cutting the rail in half and then reconnecting it hopefully taking most of this bend out. But I'm not certain how effective that would be.

Second problem was I'm not sure what's wrong with my UEG. I got a nice straight cut that didn't wander, but as I'm moving through the sheet it would get very hard 1-5 times over the course of the cuts sometimes causing burn marks on the piece between the UEG fence and the blade. I had one cut go cleanly all the way through. Must be some sort of alignment issue, but I'm just not sure with what. Do I need to be setting the rear of the saw to be slightly wider than the front? The other thing is one of the extrusions on the UEG the saw mounts too has a significant twist to it. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:45 PM

Regarding the UEG cut getting hard or binding, are you using the fin? If so, you may need to sand down the sides of the fin a little to match your saw blade, and maybe a little thinner. I know that I experienced binding with my UEG cuts until I realized it was the fin causing the issues, but the fix is simple. This could be your issue.

Joe
Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 AM

I'd filed it down some, maybe not enough. I'll take another look.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Dustin,
an enviable set-up, to be sure- very nice.

Any chance you could offer feedback re. using the B-300 bridge? and, how it integrates with your bench? ie. how's it good? bad? frustrations? delights? tips you might pass on? discoveries? things you might have done differently, and why? etc. etc.
Thanks, in advance,
Rick
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM

If I can get the bent rail issue sorted out (I'm convinced it's the cause of my issues with some cuts being square and others out just a bit) I won't have anything to complain about it so far. However I don't have much experience actually using it yet. But with the way I have the cross cut jig setup to remount to the bench, when I put it back on I can just trust that I'll get cuts that are out of square by less than 1/64" on a 4' cut (look up the 5 cuts method and use it to get it square the first time). And the support the setup provides means dealing with and cross cutting full 4x8 sheets is now a non issue. It just works and works well. No mucking around, no worrying about support for the material, no fear about things twisting while you try and feed the stock through and very little effort as the stock stays still and the saw stays on the rail. I love it.

And the way I setup the add on supports for ripping it takes me 30-60 seconds to add them in leaving the bridge in place and I'm up and ready to use the UEG. Using the UEG with a helper is a snap as they can keep the sheet from sliding sideways on me, but I'm sure I'll eventually figure out a good system to prevent the sheets from sliding to the side (already have sliding forward figured out, just a simple clamp on stop/support).

Table saw is setup and ready too, and since I'll only use it when the pieces are much smaller already the cross cut jig doesn't get in the way for that either and can be left in place during use.

The router table however requires taking the cross cut jig off. But since usually routing can be done after break down I don't expect that to be an issue.

I don't have power or dust collection sorted out to a point I'm happy with it, but I will eventually. That and getting storage for the bench when broken down figured out and built and I'll be one happy camper with the setup.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Definitely a well thought out, impressive set-up. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you've put it thru it's paces a bit. I don't have near the space you do, so I've had to focus on keeping things small- sometimes bordering on cramped.
Thanks for sharing,
Rick
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Great pics and explanations of your setup and hangups. It's clear you will be able to make the system pay for itself in short order, if it hasn't already. For me, that's the difference between a great tool and a cool toy. Thanks!I
Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 AM

Nice setup!