The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > The Old Wood Stove

Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 PM

Cool I need Wood

Well I’m getting real close to starting up my wood shop. I have been looking for sources for my lumber in my area. I want to start out simple and work my way up as my craft get better. Because of this I am not going to start with raw lumber but instead I am going to do it like the cabinet makers in my area do “Work smarter not harder”. Unlike maybe a lot of you out there I have the advantage of living in the middle of Amish, Cabinetmaking , RV manufactured, Manufactured Home country. To fit with my startup motto of ,smarter not harder, I found a lumber company just 2 miles away from my house that has a you-pick outlet which caterers to weekend warriors like me. This place sells rough sawn lumber with 1 jointed edge and planed face but what I am interested in is the pre-sanded pre-cut cabinet dimensioned lumber (and trim) of all sizes. They also have U-Pick prefinished hardwood plywood at 20 cent SqFt (cutoffs from a very large Cabinet making Shop in the area).

If you live near these guys you may want to come take a look.

www.wiblesupickhardwoods.com

Also See attached for EZ History. Maybe some missing and out of order. Just a quick clipit. My company has gone through one name change and 5 company logo’s in 40 years and they are talking about another one.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	5288  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

That lumber company looks like a great resource. Prices seem to be within reason. After you bought some of that S4S you're talking about, the straightlined ripped with one side planed will look a lot better. If you don't have a planer, you will want one.

Burt
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM

Burt,

After I get a little experience I'll probably go to the cheaper rough sawn stuff. One of the guys I work with also talks about an Amish Saw mill in Elkhart that are very very cheap. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet though. Can't look them up on the internet, No electricity, no internet which means no Website.

Funny you should mention the Planer I just score a nearly new Steel City 13" Helical planer (model 40200H) for $375 on craigslist. The Helical cutting sounded like a better Idea Because each 1/2in square blades (10 of them) is actually 4 blades just turn 90 deg if you hit a nail or they get dull.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzspC5HIQ0I

Kurt
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtW View Post
Burt,

After I get a little experience I'll probably go to the cheaper rough sawn stuff. One of the guys I work with also talks about an Amish Saw mill in Elkhart that are very very cheap. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet though. Can't look them up on the internet, No electricity, no internet which means no Website.

Funny you should mention the Planer I just score a nearly new Steel City 13" Helical planer (model 40200H) for $375 on craigslist. The Helical cutting sounded like a better Idea Because each 1/2in square blades (10 of them) is actually 4 blades just turn 90 deg if you hit a nail or they get dull.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzspC5HIQ0I

Kurt
Kurt,

That was an outstanding buy on the planer.

Burt
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 AM

Default You might reconsider?

Kurt" You might want to reconsider on the rough sawn. I have a DeWalt 735 with this added : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd7IJemG1Kw

I got the Shellix because of so much tear out on figured wood. I needed a planner because I got tired of having my face frames -- and other parts -- not match up. Once you start working with pre dimensioned lumber you will find there are discrepancies even in the same batch of lumber. You will end up using the planner more than you think and then you will wonder why you are paying for finished, planned and sanded wood you are going to plane off. At least that is how it all went down for me.

You are lucky! We get very little furniture grade lumber. Lots of Douglas Fir, Hemlock and cedar. Plus some turning woods, and lots of alder firewood. Not a lot of anything else.

On the North Oregon Coast

Phil
Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Phil,

I figured there would be times I need to use the Planer that’s why a bought it. But I didn't think about the slight thickness differences in pre dimensioned lumber. Good point. I also thought I would use the planer for junk lumber while practicing and doing protyping. My company gets a lot of oak pallets that I could experiment with. When I get better at woodworking I'm sure I'll be going to the cheaper ruff sawn lumber.

Your Dewalt with the retrofitted Spiral head makes for a much better planer. CL had you’re model planer for $500 I had seriously considered buying it but I liked the cutting head on the Steel City. I didn’t know you could retrofit other better planers like yours with a similar head.

Kurt