The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Home Renovations

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Default Cutting/Scoring Drywall

As a GC, we use drywall on almost every job, sometimes in large quantities (ie: 400 or more 12-foot sheets at a time).

Often, long sheets, like the 14-footer in the picture, need to be ripped the entire length. The remaining piece is rendered difficult-to-cut using a standard drywall square (also in the picture). The square relies on the factory edge of a full 4-foot sheet as a guide to score rips and crosscuts. Production drywall guys will often take the entire remaining 2 or 3 foot by 14 foot piece and toss it out because it takes too much time to cut.

We have been using the EZ square and different length rails to get more cuts out of each piece. You can't throw anything away these days.

Not earth-shattering, but very useful.

If we could only develop the EZ Drywall Utility Knife, that rides in the anti-chip groove, you wouldn't even have to concentrate while you're scoring.

Thanks,

Adam Stone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD532815.jpg (38.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg SD532816.jpg (41.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Master Carpenter

Adam, remember few year back that I told you to use the tracks for many construction applications?
Drywall and ceramic tiles are very easy dealt with ez.
tx for posting
Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stone View Post

If we could only develop the EZ Drywall Utility Knife, that rides in the anti-chip groove, you wouldn't even have to concentrate while you're scoring.

Thanks,

Adam Stone
Some UHMW and make your own base, so it slides along the EAC in the same spot as your saw, or use a flipped over SRK, similar to aligning your fence video.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Yes you did, Dino.

Here's another use for the 50" rail.

This is a 2nd-coated problem butt joint in the ceiling. Even though it looks well feathered from the ground, the EZ rail and spot light reveal that it needs many more coats. A reliable straight edge is also valuable when finding framing variations behind drywall, before paint, that are not visible to the naked eye pre-paint.

Thanks,

Adam Stone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD532868.jpg (37.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stone View Post
Yes you did, Dino.

Here's another use for the 50" rail.

This is a 2nd-coated problem butt joint in the ceiling. Even though it looks well feathered from the ground, the EZ rail and spot light reveal that it needs many more coats. A reliable straight edge is also valuable when finding framing variations behind drywall, before paint, that are not visible to the naked eye pre-paint.

Thanks,

Adam Stone
Adam, I will plaster a house soon using a special plaster mix that I come up 20 years ago.. the d-mix
the ez-track with the white edges make the perfect tool fo this king of wotk
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Dino,

That is such a great idea. We are on a job right now involving drywall repairs from storm damage among many other things. We often have to cut out long runs of damaged material and install new 1/2" board. All new-to-old work seams are similar to butt joints, or worse, and often 4 feet apart. We have been applying thin plaster with a roller and leveling with an 18 or 24 inch rubber trowel to get everything flat. It usually requires at least several passes and a good eye. If we apply the plaster the same way and then use the 64" rail with the white edge, we can skim fully between the taped joints, making everything flat between the joints in one pass.

I may beat you to it and try this by the end of the week. I'll report back. Great idea!

We also built a bunch of cabinets/built-ins in this house already using our typical setup of rails, SRK, etc. I will post pictures in the other thread when I have time.

Thanks,

Adam Stone
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Some UHMW and make your own base, so it slides along the EAC in the same spot as your saw...
Randall's homemade base plus a mini ripsizer maybe?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Default Drywall scorer

I am not sure anyone was aware but Fiskars makes round cutting wheels for crafters and seamstresses. I should not take a lot of work to make a sliding wheel holder that travels the distance inside a rip sizer, and a 48" track with square - handle for cross cuts. That way both directions could be cut. A round blade should last longer than the straight blade. If you used a round fabric blade you can have them resharpened instead of throw away.

It crossed my mind last year when I was doing some drywall, I kept thinking Dino would have a better idea than this stupid T Square.

Just an idea.
Phil