The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Default Brain sludge on a cold, Wintry day.....

Being a cold, dreary day, not good for working outside, thought I'd waste a bit of time at the computer and post a couple of EZ mods I've done this year- due to the pic limitations, I'll make a couple of different postings.

A year or so ago, I made some steel brackets that slid into the side groove of EZ track to allow me to attach the track to a vertical surface. http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=2676

While those brackets worked fine, and were great for a 5-minute inspiration, they needed some 'finessing'. Recently, I rethought the concept and made the ones shown in the pics. Basically, I took a square piece of Baltic Birch and routed a couple of slots in it; then, cut it diagonally; modified the corners to accept screws for clamping; and slid them in the edge groove of the track. They work well: useful for if you need to attach some track to a surface- just run some screws thru the slots (I recently used them to attach EZ track on wall studs so I could rout a straight line to inset some metal t-bracing); great for use as 'repeaters'; easily adjusted for longer/shorter pieces; and can do tapers as well as straight pieces. As repeaters, they are quickly installed, and just as quickly set up; in use, track-clamps are usually not needed; and, if you're careful, you can use them for a modified ripsizer; a nice, simple EZ accessory.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	track-  side hangers:spacers - 1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	6570   Click image for larger version

Name:	track-  side hangers:spacers - 5.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	6571   Click image for larger version

Name:	track-  side hangers:spacers - 2.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	6572   Click image for larger version

Name:	track-  side hangers:spacers - 3.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6573   Click image for larger version

Name:	track-  side hangers:spacers - 4.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	6574  

Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 PM

For me, this past year (2014) seems to have been the year of 'perfecting' the EZ square to my satisfaction.

When I hit on this EZ Square mod, I thought I was on to something: http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4280 While it worked great, I felt there was probably a better option.

Then, later on, I came up w/this: http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4432 I love this thing and use it a lot, both on my PBB, and out in the field- it is very versatile and accurate. But, when you install the pivoting parts on a longer track, say, 4', you quickly find out it's limitations: not enough contact area against the material edge to keep it snugly in place.

So, when I came on a project recently (needing to cut 7˚ angled cuts across 4' siding), I went back to the drawing table for a rethink.

To begin with, I modified a piece of 24" B2B to inset a 'slewing ring'. When joined with a section of track, this assembly is the actual 'square. I then added a largish handle. When it is all put together, it adjusts quickly, locks down w/3 knobs, and stays adjusted in use- it takes quite a blow to knock it out of alignment, once clamped, and, it accepts the adjusting arm from the EZ repeater- seen sitting on the track.

Also, if I'm needing to do some mitering, and the miter saw isn't available, this set-up fills the gap nicely. In the pic, you can see I've clamped the track/square assembly to allow the near end to be cantilevered over my work table. Then, after setting the angle, I've positioned a piece of trim to be cut, indexed the cut-line w/one of my cut-line-markers, clamped the trim piece w/an EZ clamp, then slid in a stop on the B2B (assuming I'll be cutting multiple pieces the same length), and I'm ready to cut. Notice that the EZ track is stiff enough to support the saw w/no additional support. Cantilevering the track this way and clamping the trim underneath has proven to be a nice unobstructed way for me to work- I like it.

This has become my 'go-to' square for larger work pieces. I've also installed it on smaller pieces of track, and it does great. If you do lot's of square-related work, this modification will have you working more, and finessing the square less.

Rick
ps oh, yeah, I forgot to mention my 'pocket EZ': http://www.tracksawforum.com/showthread.php?t=4480 I originally make this as an experiment; turns out it's super useful: angles set quickly and accurately, and, using the ACE, it positions nicely. I use it mainly whenever I'm cutting outside trim pieces (wood or hardy) and for smaller angle related work- much less cumbersome than my other squares and flows smoothly w/the EZ saw base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	square-  large version - 30? cut, showing repeater arm.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	6575   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  large version - bottom view.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	6576   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  large version - components.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	6577   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  large version - components assembled.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	6578   Click image for larger version

Name:	square-  large version - cantilevered, cutting trim.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	6579  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 01-01-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Default Awesome stuff

Rick,

Thanks for all your hard work and ideas! Yes, many of us will benefit from your sharing.

Stay warm. It gonna be in the 20's Sunday night in Georgetown. Kerrville is bound to be colder!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
Rick,

Thanks for all your hard work and ideas! Yes, many of us will benefit from your sharing.

Stay warm. It gonna be in the 20's Sunday night in Georgetown. Kerrville is bound to be colder!!!
Thanks, Jeff.
Yep, cold weather coming- but I've got my thermals handy... The good part is that it doesn't stay cold- we'll be back to the mid-40s-to-50s by the next day. Plus, after 40+ years of having a cold workshop, I finally bought a shop heater last year- nice.
Rick
Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM

Very cool stuff, Rick! I like the idea of the hangers that can also be spacers. Just curious about what those little metal parts that fit into the side of the track are called. I see them in photo 2 and again in the last photo. The look like they are shaped like half-barrels (cut lengthwise)

Thanks for sharing these innovations!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblu View Post
Very cool stuff, Rick! I like the idea of the hangers that can also be spacers. Just curious about what those little metal parts that fit into the side of the track are called. I see them in photo 2 and again in the last photo. The look like they are shaped like half-barrels (cut lengthwise)

Thanks for sharing these innovations!!!
Hi, Katie, good to hear from you; seems like you've been absent a while?

Those t-nuts are here: http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...506/index.html
I use the GN506-5-M5 size.

They fit into the side of the EZ track perfectly. A #10 machine screw, w/a bit of modification to the nut, or, screw head, also works well.
hth,
Rick

Last edited by bumpnstump; 01-20-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Hi, Katie, good to hear from you; seems like you've been absent a while?

Those t-nuts are here: http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...506/index.html
I use the GN506-5-M5 size.

They fit into the side of the EZ track perfectly. A #10 machine screw, w/a bit of modification to the nut, or, screw head, also works well.
hth,
Rick
Thanks, Rick! I finally ordered from Winco. I look forward to getting my order soon and trying it out.

I was absent for a while, dealing with family responsibilities. Thanks for asking.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM

Rick,

I finally got some 1/2" Baltic Birch and made a couple of those track "positioners". I just used #10-24 round head bolts that I ground a bit off of two sides or the head to fit the side slot of the track. The "positioners work great. I was able to use them to saw a taper on a long (80"), very thin (1/16-3/16), tapered (7/8-3/8) piece to act as a filler behind some trim where two walls met (not square and not vertical). I was able to clamp the work piece with the EZSmart Clamp System clamps, and then attach the track to the bench so that things would not move while cutting.

I think I'll make spacers to go under the "positioners" to raise them above the table the thickness of the work piece.

The chip-out you see in the second photo is from the resaw blade I had on the band saw.

Thanks for another great idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7148.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	6612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7151.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	6613  

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Last edited by Dik Harrison; 02-10-2015 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Made an addition.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Rick,

I finally got some 1/2" Baltic Birch and made a couple of those track "positioners". I just used #10-24 round head bolts that I ground a bit off of two sides or the head to fit the side slot of the track. The "positioners work great. I was able to use them to saw a taper on a long (80"), very thin (1/16-3/16), tapered (7/8-3/8) piece to act as a filler behind some trim where two walls met (not square and not vertical). I was able to clamp the work piece with the EZSmart Clamp System clamps, and then attach the track to the bench so that things would not move while cutting.

I think I'll make spacers to go under the "positioners" to raise them above the table the thickness of the work piece.

The chip-out you see in the second photo is from the resaw blade I had on the band saw.

Thanks for another great idea.
Good goin', Dik! I'm guessing you'll find lots of uses for these. A couple of days ago, I needed to notch some 2x deck band material, after it had been installed. Being that the notches were in an awkward position, freehanding with the circular saw wasn't woking. So, I pulled out the 'positioners' , a short piece of track, a couple of sliding stops, and my left-side set-up jig I use on the EZ-One, and in a couple of minutes, had the set-up shown in pic one.

Pic two shows the components sitting on top of the track; pic three shows the underside of the track, w/the sliding stop butting the measuring bar of the left-side set-up jig; pic four shows the left-side set-up jig on top of the track.

Once the track and positioners were set up, it was just a matter of resting the sliding stops on the top of the deck band (pic one), clamping in place w/a quick clamp, and make the cut- you can see the notch at the lower right of the track. Clean and EZ.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2344.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	6614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	6615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	6616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	6617  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 02-10-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM

Is that the JC10 compressor in the first picture? Would you recommend it?
Johnny O