The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Positioning and Measuring Systems

Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Help me understand "project poles" or "story sticks"

I may not be using the right terminology, so forgive me on that. I thought I read about this here somewhere, but search as I might I can't find it.

The idea was that for a given project, let's say a particular cabinet but it could be anything. You started out with a piece of wood and each time you had a setup for a piece of part, you made a shallow cut in the wood and marked it somehow for what part it pertained to. You did this as you went along and when you were done, you would be able to reproduce that project, by simply using the cuts in the wood to align your stops to make your cuts.

Did I just imagine this, or is there a discussion about this here, that I just can't find?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
I may not be using the right terminology, so forgive me on that. I thought I read about this here somewhere, but search as I might I can't find it.

The idea was that for a given project, let's say a particular cabinet but it could be anything. You started out with a piece of wood and each time you had a setup for a piece of part, you made a shallow cut in the wood and marked it somehow for what part it pertained to. You did this as you went along and when you were done, you would be able to reproduce that project, by simply using the cuts in the wood to align your stops to make your cuts.

Did I just imagine this, or is there a discussion about this here, that I just can't find?
I recall Dino suggesting something similar when i complained about not knowing where my cut line was when i make weird bevel angles (like 11*, 29*, etc)

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 03-19-2018, 04:36 PM

do you recall where that thread might be?
Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:

if you imagined .....is done.
you do a cabinet job and you have the standard measurements.
if you use a cnc router ...you program the machine.

The story stick is the same concept and even better.
you can take off the measurements and apply them to a story stick.
instead working with a computer...you can use many ways to activate the
many ways that a story stick provides.
Flip stops? very easy to make few...
Push in and out ( spring loaded pin)
Make or buy a straight edge with 1/32" lines and make mini groves..( Incra)

Few years back , the ez guru Burt made something like that.
i'm working with a new division? of EZ to create few cool tools and
the story stick is #1 priority.

From measuring inside spaces or make templates of existing doors-windows and even counter tops. This is not a story stick but very similar.

tx
Old 03-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Dino,

This was very specific for someone. You had suggested something that involved making shallow cuts in a board to be able to set the saw back to that same cut again. I don't know if it was with the EZ1 or someone's PBB or even just with the track and something.

It seemed like a great idea at the time, but I neglected to write it down anywhere, or remember the specifics of how it was going to work within the ez system. As I say what I am thinking I remember I will assume you somehow use it to set a stop, maybe putting the saw back in the groove and placing a stop at the other end of the board? I can't see how you might otherwise fit a story stick up against the saw blade on the track and measure to a stop.

I watched the video recently where you made a "master" to cut the plastic pieces to size. I assume it is like that, but I would not want to have a whole master piece for each component of a cabinet system. But having one thing that I could set the panel height, and the back height, and the door rail length, and stile length and door panel height and drawer stuff... Maybe a different one to handle the widths so you could use one to make all standard cabinets, and another to handle the width differences. So I could grab my standard panel stick, then grab my 16" width stick and have all the measurements to make any standard 16" unit.

If I were to cut a shallow slice into a board set at a stop, would that be enough to reset the stop to that position? Or would there be too much play in the kerf? Does it need to be a certain depth so that the teeth get engaged enough, or do I need to compensate for the teeth with perhaps a shim? I understand that once it was made each thing would be reproduced the same. But it is the first cut that concerns me. I know from the table saw experience that if I cut a piece against the fence then do some other stuff and try to use that piece to set the fence, when I cut another piece it will be smaller. Then I run the original through again and they are magically both the same size This is where my concern comes in.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM

Thought this was interesting, ignore the TS if you're so inclined. Clever fence flip stops. Set cabinet width one time on the TS scale, doesn't matter what the number is, and all the other pieces are sized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOeFT55Ur8g

You don't need a slot to index your blade, you only care about one side of the blade, the side your keeper piece is on.

Never had any luck setting fence using a piece between fence and blade, second piece is always narrower, TS or EZ doesn't matter. A spinning blade is different than a non-spinning blade. Have an accurate scale, hit the same number every time the size will be the same.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
do you recall where that thread might be?
Sorry, just saw your post today. This is what I was referring to: http://tracksawforum.com/showthread....9752#post39752

Although I'm not sure it's what you are thinking of

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Thought this was interesting, ignore the TS if you're so inclined. Clever fence flip stops. Set cabinet width one time on the TS scale, doesn't matter what the number is, and all the other pieces are sized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOeFT55Ur8g

You don't need a slot to index your blade, you only care about one side of the blade, the side your keeper piece is on.

Never had any luck setting fence using a piece between fence and blade, second piece is always narrower, TS or EZ doesn't matter. A spinning blade is different than a non-spinning blade. Have an accurate scale, hit the same number every time the size will be the same.
I love the system 130 thing. Something happened that he is not selling it anymore, I think he got bought out or employee or something. It could be interesting to implement something similar for EZ. Like an accordion hinged stack that unrolls to the differing lengths. Just guessing how the 130 might be implemented.

The slot was not as much about indexing as indexing multiple cuts on the same stick
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 PM

Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Story Board for TS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7346  
Old 03-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Something like this?
Exactly or even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcodNMiNNac
Starting around 3:26

But I wasn't thinking the idea was to slice through the wood, but shallower than the thickness of the wood. Maybe I just imagined the conversation.