The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Miter Square, cabinet maker or what

I'm having a problem with making a decision for an upcoming project. I'll be redoing the kitchen cabinets. To help things along I'll be getting one of the new tables with the extras, some dust suppression gear, a UEG for floor repairs and part of the cabinets.

The problem I'm having is trying to figure out if I need the miter square, cabinet maker, both or neither.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten fingers View Post
I'm having a problem with making a decision for an upcoming project. I'll be redoing the kitchen cabinets. To help things along I'll be getting one of the new tables with the extras, some dust suppression gear, a UEG for floor repairs and part of the cabinets.

The problem I'm having is trying to figure out if I need the miter square, cabinet maker, both or neither.

Any thoughts?
I'm not a pro but I built our kitchen cabinets and I used my EZ-One, Rip-Sizer, and SSRK. Time has passed so if I were making them today I would buy/use the new MFT, UEG, Square, & SSRK.

Mike
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:

Any thoughts?
You will want the cabinet maker to go along with the UEG. In processing the plywood, you will rip with the UEG and crosscut with the cabinet maker. The reason I said cabinet maker instead of the miter square is the cabinet maker has a built in measuring device. We use to work with the repeaters and the cabinet maker. Then we moved on to the ripsizer and cabinet maker. Now it is the UEG and the cabinetmaker.

Burt
Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanks gents. I think I'll go with the cabinet maker since it says cabinets and since Burt seems to do that for a living and it's what he prefers.

Speaking of which, Burt, I read a thread by started by Ken on making cabinets which I thought was pretty good. Burt, you indicated that is not the way you do it but that Ken should not feel compelled to do it the way you do. However, other than the 1/4 melamine backing and avoiding fixed shelves, I didn't see any big differences. Any tips you'd be willing to share on how to do euro style cabinets and shelves?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Thanks gents. I think I'll go with the cabinet maker since it says cabinets and since Burt seems to do that for a living and it's what he prefers.

Speaking of which, Burt, I read a thread by started by Ken on making cabinets which I thought was pretty good. Burt, you indicated that is not the way you do it but that Ken should not feel compelled to do it the way you do. However, other than the 1/4 melamine backing and avoiding fixed shelves, I didn't see any big differences. Any tips you'd be willing to share on how to do euro style cabinets and shelves?
I don't have a lot of experience with euro style cabinets. Most of the cabinets I did were face frame style cabinets so I can't be of much help on the euro style cabinets.

Burt