The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Need help with square cuts on track saw

hello,

I am guessing this is an issue unique with me and what I am using it on. I have been cutting rails and stiles for my cabinets on different occasions, and am using rough cut lumber. My process is that I plane the rough stock down to proper dimension I want to use, then bring over to guide rail to rip to width dimension. If I have a fairly wide board, I usually measure 1/8" strong and it gives me proper width for the offcut piece. If the size I want is under the track, I cut to the mark. However, problem starts when cutting. I cannot 90 degree edge cuts consistently. In looking at the base that is put on saw, it only has the raised portion on front side to establish this. Not a good saw to use with this system but this is not what is was advertised to do. Any saw should work. This is one I believe I am having issues with. Hate to buy a saw just for this track. Anyone have any issues related to this, as this is particularly noticeable during panel glue ups and edge to edge gluing where the angle is magnified. I have to tune up every edge cut or all edge to edge connections are not good. I am trying to think of different ways to square edge this cuts after cutting on track saw, but limitations exist as I have to keep most, if not all dimensions the same. Any ideas are squaring up edges quickly? I was thinking of using my planer, but if the bottoms are wrong, so will the tops be. I also was thinking of putting in right angle jig, planing these square, then turning over for bottoms. Again, major problem is with keeping right dimension of boards if cutting stiles and rails as edge to edge glue ups doesn't matter. As I said, most likely my particular problem may revolve around the Milwaukee older model saw, as I would prefer the Makita, but hate to buy one after owning so many of these older ones which I prefer in any other cutting situations. However, it is clear this saw base needs some type of better adjustment for cutting absolutely clean square edges or it is not worth using in my opinion. I did buy a custom made track at 12ft long so straightness would not be any issue, and it is not now that I have eliminated the joints, but my main reason for buying is for getting straight and square edge on rough cut stock after planed down, then cutting to dimensions. I cannot get consistent square edge cuts, and now need to find best way to square these up and sized after at least getting a straight cut and could use any and all remarks that anyone would suggest as I am not doing something right or bad circular saw choice.

I would appreciate any input on what you do if you encounter this issue, as it is a constant problem with my circumstances.

Last edited by greg brophey; 08-31-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: correcting spelling