The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 PM

Got busy at work so just had some time Saturday to assemble the cabinet less drawers. I attached some angle iron to the top - I just used the tapped holes provided to attach the top to their metal rack. Figured it would stiffen it up and let me attach it to the cabinet easily:

I'm going to play around a bit with router dust collection before I build the drawers.

Mike
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Great Scott! I have that same Woodpecker top and need to do exactly what you are doing! Perfect timing....
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
Glenn - I will eventually fit my Hilti to one of the new SmartBases (when it's a lesser emotional event). What I was trying to say was it was a good thing it didn't fit. Very seldom did I use the cordless Makita that came in a kit. It is a perfect match for the UEG.

Mike
How do you like the Hilti saw you have? Looks like the dust collection must be pretty good and heavy duty enough to handle a lot of cutting? Where did you buy it? thanks.

(PS THANKS very much for sending the pictures on cutting the boards using the EZ One. For us "rookies" these sort of details are priceless. Thanks for sharing!)

Mark
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdrep View Post
How do you like the Hilti saw you have? Looks like the dust collection must be pretty good and heavy duty enough to handle a lot of cutting? Where did you buy it? thanks.

(PS THANKS very much for sending the pictures on cutting the boards using the EZ One. For us "rookies" these sort of details are priceless. Thanks for sharing!)

Mark
Hilti's are hard if not impossible to find. Others can add the reasons but they stopped making them years ago. I have bought and sold several saws and I like the Hilti the best.

Mike
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Default Thanks for sharing

Mike,
Thanks for the update. The router cabinet looks very clean. So, dominos are too specialized in their application or just not a work saver? Sounds like biscuits, pocket screws or dados may be better options for carcass construction.

Woodpeck has been happy to take my money too. I have their top, fence, and a 2nds cabinet base. Their clamp racks rock! They do support the military and mail to APO addresses, like Dino. Some vendors just don't.

Love my Hilti but, I will eventually mount my Makita 5008MGA. The makita is very smooth and actual freehand.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Freelove View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the update. The router cabinet looks very clean. So, dominos are too specialized in their application or just not a work saver? Sounds like biscuits, pocket screws or dados may be better options for carcass construction. I'm just a serious hobbyist but I built my kitchen cabinet carcasses with dados/rabbets and pocket screws.

Woodpeck has been happy to take my money too. I have their top, fence, and a 2nds cabinet base. Their clamp racks rock! They do support the military and mail to APO addresses, like Dino. Some vendors just don't.

Love my Hilti but, I will eventually mount my Makita 5008MGA. The makita is very smooth and actual freehand.
I should have posted an update on this. I'm having trouble finding time to work on the cabinet, but, this weekend I cut all the dovetails for 11 drawers and cut the drawer bottoms.

For the drawer bottoms I used 1/4" ply. I ripped first with my UEG & cordless Makita. Just for grins I tried crosscutting with the UEG but there didn't seem to be enough edge support - the cut wasn't square (I think with some mods the UEG could crosscut accurately as well). I was going to crosscut on my EZ-One but thought I hadn't used my square for a while and the panels were only about 22" deep so why not. I think I got better results using the combo of my UEG & square than from my bench! (my EZ-One made a good smart table since I could move the supports where needed)

Mike
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the update Mike. I'm enjoying the thread.
-Brian
Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 PM

Assembled the "tower" of drawers and attached the slides to the drawers. Next is to apply slide arms to the cabinet and face the drawers:

Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM

What is the width of the opening vs the width of the drawer? I've never done hardware before just trying to plan stuff out.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramasule View Post
What is the width of the opening vs the width of the drawer? I've never done hardware before just trying to plan stuff out.
Believe it or not I haven't finished this cabinet yet and I only have about 4 hours of work left.

Anyway to your question. On side mount drawers it is most common to allow 1/2" per side so 1" for the drawer. I think the tolerance is on the plus side. You should be able to get this info from the manufacturers site. Here is an example:

http://www.cshardware.com/images/117...stallation.pdf

Mike