The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 AM

The Ripsizer is an ancestor of the UEG. The UEG is far superior to what the Ripsizer was. I find the UEG priceless for breaking down full sheets, as I have difficulty handling full sheets any more.

IMHO, the best way to start with EZ is a 64" track, saw base, two clamps, and the UEG. The SSRK is also essential if you are going to do router work (i.e. dadoes & rabbets). Once you have used these for a while, then decide if you want to go the EZ1 route or build you own bench to make cutting quicker and easier.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

One last question, prices.

There is a package on EZ that includes the 54" track system + the Cabinet maker (too bad it didn't also include the UEG too). It is priced here at $378 but at WoodCraft it is $341 (but claims to ship from the MFG) Why so big of a price difference? Does it make any difference whether I order it from WC or EZ?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:48 PM

The obvious answer is buy from the one with the lowest price.
EZ offers free shipping, does Woodcraft?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
The obvious answer is buy from the one with the lowest price.
EZ offers free shipping, does Woodcraft?
I wasn't sure, since sometimes there are benefits to buying direct from the MFG.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:20 AM

Default costs

dont forget to add sales tax into your equation. You probably have to consider both shipping and tax. I bet it will be close either way.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:25 AM

You do know, that even if you find a vendor that doesn't charge you sales tax, you are still responsible to claim it and pay your own use tax to your state.

Anyway, I am guessing there is no direct benefit of buying direct from the factory then.

Now I wonder is there will be a black Friday special to watch for
Old 11-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

As a minimum you will need the cabinet maker and UEG to do cabinets. Also keep in mind that you will need some kind of cutting table. I like the old smart table - not sure what they call it now. You will also find the SSRK to be very useful for dados and rabbits.

Burt
Old 11-06-2016, 01:38 AM

When I took the EZSmart plunge, cabinets were a main consideration and it came down to a track saw system or cabinet saw. In the end, I built my own Power Bridge Bench (PBB) with 72" guide rail, got the Universal Edge Guide (UEG), the Super Smart Router Kit (SSRK), 64" guide rail and clamps for a portable setup, and saw base using my existing CS and router and still had enough left in the budget for an Incra LS Super System and bit set. With my PBB, I don't need the repeater or cabinet maker.

Anyway, next week I'll start building 58 linear feet of custom kitchen cabinets. All my sheet goods and panels will be broken down and eventually cut to size with EZSmart tools, as will all the dadoes I need.

For me, EZSmart is faster, safer, and more cost efficient than anything else out there. I get finish quality cuts nearly every time. I only wish I had the Makita 5008 to regain some depth of cut lost with the base.

There are some very slick tools out there for sure but for me it's about producing quality work and turning a profit. I can't afford to stroke my ego with over priced brands. Some guys think they can buy skills with fancy, expensive tools. They're the same guys with 18 handicaps dropping $1500 on a set of golf clubs. Lol.

Miters and track saw systems are a sore spot for me. Nobody makes a miter gauge/angle unit that can be quickly set and give consistently repeatable cuts for a track saw. The closest I've seen recently is the Festool HK circular saw system but it can't do long rips and has no stop for repeated cut lengths. So, I'm not drinking the green koolaid, yet. Next time I have to do a ton of trusses or stair stringers, I may change my mind.

Anyway, for my portable setup I use a Shinwa gauge to set the track and for my shop I modified an Incra gauge to attach to the anti-chip edge (ACE) channel on the off-cut side of the guide rail with T5 nuts and thumb screws. It even has a depth stop. It's a little awkward to attach and remove so I only use it when I have several repeated cuts to make. For 90 cuts, I keep my bridge squared to the fence on my bench which is 4'x4'. I also have a matching out feed/assembly/clamping table that helps when cross cutting full sheets. Both tables are on locking casters.

That's my two cents on EZSmart. The next thing I'd add to your list is a small trailer or pickup truck! Good luck!
Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Default i am a little slow so explain to me..

tracedfar,
I don't understand how you use the Incra LS Super System.

Marty
Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM

Marty,

Sorry for the confusion. I only use the Incra miter gauge with the EZSmart guide rail. What I meant was that EZSmart saved me so much compared to the cabinet saw I was considering that I had enough left in my budget to purchase an Incra LS Super System.