The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > Applications > Cabinet Making

Old 06-08-2017, 03:25 PM

I was just joking, I know how to use Google.

Probably something like:
site:craigslist.org (ezsmart|eurekazone) -directory

Would do what you are saying in the Google search box.

I have also used http://www.searchtempest.com/ which searches across CL, eBay and Amazon.. Of course, the company has polluted eBay and Amazon with normal ads so that is much less useful. But their CL searches work ok. I have found that most people on CL are not interested in shipping stuff and would prefer you just show up and hand them cash. So unless it is in my local CL I don't feel I'd get too lucky.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:10 AM

For one, I think of experimenting as breaking a few eggs to make an omelette. Of course, if I wasn't prepared to take the loss, I certainly wouldn't take the risk.

Usually, I have a certain degree of confidence before "ruining" a perfectly good tool or piece of material when the potential benefit outweighs the cost. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.

Frankly​, I like innovating, especially when it has the potential to be just as accurate, faster, safer, and more affordable. It's why I was drawn to EZ.

Regardless of how many versions of the light bulb Edison created​ before he got it right, it was worth it.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM

I get that to a point. But it's one thing chewing up a piece of $5 t-track and yet another to think about messing up a piece of $112 EZ extrusion. I agree that someone has to damage a bunch of stuff to ultimately develop new things.

I am personally pretty risk averse when it comes to money once it starts moving up the double digits. Once we are over $100 I am not trying to do anything that even has the slightest chance of causing damage

When I was a kid, I loved taking everything apart to try to see how it worked. Sometimes I was even able to get them all back together and working again But, at that point in my life, my parents paid for all those things.

I am not meaning this as a criticism, but more of relating the pain in the pit of my stomach that I get just thinking about tearing up a piece or track. I almost wish I felt the liberty to just do it. If I could work a deal and score some from a person selling used cheap, or if I was around when there were big discounts to be had and a piece of track didn't have that high of a cost, I may be less pained in thinking about doing it.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
If I could work a deal and score some from a person selling used cheap, or if I was around when there were big discounts to be had and a piece of track didn't have that high of a cost, I may be less pained in thinking about doing it.
Random thought hit me when I read this:
-perhaps call EZ and ask them if they have any damaged/discarded/unsellable/etc pieces of track, and, would they make you a deal to unload some of it?

Like I say, just a random thought...
Rick
Old 06-10-2017, 12:55 PM

That is a thought. Perhaps if I were a more important customer I would do so. Or even if I were in the same state. But for now, I will live vicariously though those who just do it!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:54 PM

Absinthe, I agree 100%. Frugality is another reason I went with Eureka Zone.

My situation is that I use my EZ stuff to make a living, not just as a hobby. What's practical and affordable isn't the same for everyone.

Festool's LR32 with their smallest compatible router is nearly $1000. Grizzly's line boring machine (the least expensive I could find new) is over $2400 after shipping. Either of these options also means I have an entirely new system to learn and maintain.

If I spend $150 making this experimental jig and it works, I save a ton of $$. If it doesn't, I'm not that deep into it relatively and I'll write it off my taxes either way. Also, it expands on a system I already use for several applications.

I'll wait until my next big cabinet job to cross this bridge.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:42 AM

I get it.. Just call me envious
Old 07-30-2017, 01:05 PM

I have been noodling this for some time and I think what @Kenk posted is the right idea.

What I am having trouble getting my head around is in trying to get accurate and repeatable placement on boards. For example, if I'm making a basic bookcase, I need the holes to align in a "bookmark fashion" on the inside of the bookcase. The need to be spaced evenly from the front and back of the case and start and stop at the same place.

Most of the systems I have seen (and referenced here) require re-positioning of the guide to drill each line of holes. This seems less efficient and more prone to error. The complexity is compounded if there are different setbacks for the front and rear holes. The "longish" size of the SRK & rail adds a wrinkle as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas in using a fixed rail (such as the EZ One or other mounted rail) and placing the bookcase halves in bookmarked fashion? It would take a much longer SSRK track/EZ rail. An x-limit stop and stop blocks for the bookcase halves would keep the holes aligned from top to bottom. I'm trying to think of how to index the guide on the y-axis to have consistent hole placement from the front and back of the bookcase.

Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstop View Post
I'm trying to think of how to index the guide on the y-axis to have consistent hole placement from the front and back of the bookcase.
Continuing on my original 32 mm placement jig idea ...

It seems like it would be pretty easy to get repeatable placement of side panels on the EZ ONE at least (see attached PDF).

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 32 mm Shelf Pin Jig.pdf (326.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:22 PM

Should be fair straightforward to fasten a stop on the guide rail to reference each piece. Even easier on the EZOne or a PBB.