The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Guide Rail Systems

Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 AM

OK great. I just received my rip-sizer, and want to put my saw on the base. The instructions that came with it said basically 'attach base to saw' - useless at best and so I went to the website and followed a link that still doesn't help. I didn't get any spacers or double sided tape, I got a bunch of screws and the third worst instruction sheet I have ever gotten.

Am I to drill my saw? What?

Just think if I hadn't been reading the forum for a while before my first purchase. I know the information I need is available and there are people who will help. How many people make purchases that don't go to the forum, get poor instructions and follow links that mean nothing. I am a little torqued over the (lack of) instructions and the video that helps not. Actually I had low expectations for the written instructions after reading the forum, but following a link that doesn't fit what I bought is frustrating. Anyhow, need to go look at my base and dig the saw out of the box - I am hoping it will become instantly apparent.

Bruce

Can't wait to get more EZ stuff.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 AM

Staying out of this one.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 AM

Found what I was looking for in the Resources section. Either use the clamps or drill and tap my saw. Fair enough, the instructions mention drilling but stop there. And I am serious about buying more EZ stuff, hoping an EZ-One is in my future.
Bruce
Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
Found what I was looking for in the Resources section. Either use the clamps or drill and tap my saw. Fair enough, the instructions mention drilling but stop there. And I am serious about buying more EZ stuff, hoping an EZ-One is in my future.
Bruce
Bruce,

Sometimes, I drill and tap saws. If I am in a hurry, I just drill holes and use a 8 - 32 bolt. If I do use the bolts, I like to use lock nuts (the ones with nylon). Also, I sometimes add the nuts even if I tap the base.

With that set of instructions, I don't think you'll have a problem. I had started a note on where to find those instructions a couple hours ago but got interupted.

Burt
Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 AM

Default another one for the wiki !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
OK great. I just received my rip-sizer, and want to put my saw on the base. The instructions that came with it said basically 'attach base to saw' - useless at best and so I went to the website and followed a link that still doesn't help. I didn't get any spacers or double sided tape, I got a bunch of screws and the third worst instruction sheet I have ever gotten.

Am I to drill my saw? What?
Bruce:
I just took over the wiki pages and these are issues that I want to take care of. I had a terrible time when I got my base but I had forgotten how bad until you mention. Most of these guys are used to altering or "adjusting" their tools, forgetting that many of us take care of our tools and never damage them -- the key thought is for most of us, altering is damaging. Hard thing to get past. Most of us are taught that altering is forbidden. I will remember to work on that instruction in the wiki.
Phil
Old 08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Moderator - Cabinet Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
Most of these guys are used to altering or "adjusting" their tools, forgetting that many of us take care of our tools and never damage them -- the key thought is for most of us, altering is damaging. Hard thing to get past. Most of us are taught that altering is forbidden.
Phil
Phil,

It is time for an attitude adjustment.

In altering or adjusting our tools, we are customizing them - making them work best for us.

A couple holes in a saw base doesn't hurt anything.

Burt
Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphoto View Post
Bruce:
Most of these guys are used to altering or "adjusting" their tools, forgetting that many of us take care of our tools and never damage them -- the key thought is for most of us, altering is damaging. Hard thing to get past.
Phil
Phil I've never met a tool that didn't need some kind of altering, even $400 hand planes, $150 pairing chisel, $1.00 straight slot screwdriver or even $3500 tablesaw. Everything can be made better. I have saws that came from factory with extra holes drilled and taped in the soul plate.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Beck View Post
Phil I've never met a tool that didn't need some kind of altering, even $400 hand planes, $150 pairing chisel, $1.00 straight slot screwdriver or even $3500 tablesaw. Everything can be made better. I have saws that came from factory with extra holes drilled and taped in the soul plate.
the ez is all about customizing every part and tool.
here is a picture of a "custom" ez tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom ez tool.png
Views:	398
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3596   Click image for larger version

Name:	guided ez planer.png
Views:	343
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3597  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up Right Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
the ez is all about customizing every part and tool.
here is a picture of a "custom" ez tool.
That's right. And that's why I love EZ.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Beck View Post
That's right. And that's why I love EZ.
maybe because we can't make us smarter?
so, the easy way out is to work on the tools?

Make them smarter. ez.