The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Default The Hack Job PBB

New to "posting" on the forum, I have lurked on and off for many years. I got some of my EZ stuff over year or so ago, but due to big changes in my life I hadn't done anything with it(I started my own business). Anyways I'd like to thank guys like Rick, Burt, Dik, etc... I know I'm forgetting people, for their insight and explanations. It's a new way to do things, so it's helpful and speeds things up with all your input.
On to the bench. As the name implies I threw this together rather quickly. I had initially started planning something elaborate, but soon realized it was hard to anticipate all scenarios. So I decided to slap this together quickly and see through use what I did and did not like about it. Then maybe eventually do something "fancy" with my needs in mind.
It's all out of OSB and is simply stapled together. It's in the style of a Paulk bench, but with some differences. My cutting length side is 4'6", with a width of 4'. I hacked out as many holes as I dared, trying to keep it light and strong, but it still is heavier than I'd like. The legs I got off an old table, they can screw off, so I'll be able to hang the bench on my garage wall, when not in use.
Long term I'd like to drill some holes in the top and add an incra fence with stops.
After setting up everything I squared it up using the 5 cut method(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ) and got it within 3/256 of an inch. Very impressive. I'm convinced there isn't a better way to cut sheet goods.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139454.../shares/C2522D

P.s. I hope I attached the pictures correctly, I'm new to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	6818  

Justin

Last edited by Big Grins; 03-19-2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Goof in picture posting
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Big Grins, welcome to the forum as a poster. Sounds like you have made a good start to becoming an EZ woodworker. Have fun...

Here is an explanation on doing attachments. You can also edit your original post to delete the bad attachment (photo) and add the photo using the cited method.

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 PM

I had a similar approach. Still experimenting with miters but very happy doing casework with my DIY table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	975499e48c795dd6e9eeca3dcfeba184.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	6819  
Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
I had a similar approach. Still experimenting with miters but very happy doing casework with my DIY table.
Yours looks very nice and more well thought out. Do you actually do crown molding? Or just base and casing with it? I should have mentioned that I also plan to add a couple of t tracks for rips and bulk cutting.

Justin
Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 PM

Here's what I've started on with my EZ gear. I stole the idea from this article http://www.familyhandyman.com/garage...orage/view-all
It's time to get the garage organized. I ripped the strips with the UEG. And began making boxes seen hanging on the wall, with the PBB. Really effortless.

Justin
Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Harrison View Post
Big Grins, welcome to the forum as a poster. Sounds like you have made a good start to becoming an EZ woodworker. Have fun...

Here is an explanation on doing attachments. You can also edit your original post to delete the bad attachment (photo) and add the photo using the cited method.
Thanks Dik, obviously I'm a major newb at posting pics. I remember watching this video years ago, thinking "that's a great idea someone should build that". I didn't realize it then, but someone had. Your computer animations really help to clarify things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yBKmiZx40

Justin
Old 03-21-2016, 12:18 AM

Big Grins

Miters have been a challenge. I've done quite a bit of experimenting. The most promising was a modified Incra gauge where I basically reversed the roles of the miter bar and fence by bolting the fence to the ACE channel on the guide rail but it was bulky and awkward to attach and remove.

For crown, base trim, etc. I still go to my SCMS. For picture frames, I prefer my miter sled on the TS. However, for sheet goods, EZSmart is my best tool hands down, as is the SSRK for dadoes, flutes, and grooves.

In theory, if one tool that does it all was the answer, we'd all own a shopsmith. For me, having separate, dedicated tools makes for a much better workflow.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:28 PM

Congrats on getting up and running! I have to say, though, the legs you have on there make me extremely nervous. If you stack too much wood on there and/or give that thing a shove, I'm afraid you'll be spending more time at the hospital than the shop.

I would suggest building some sturdier legs out of lumber. You can use hanger bolts and still screw them in, then bolt on some cross supports with butterfly screws for easy disassembly.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Big Grins

Miters have been a challenge. I've done quite a bit of experimenting. The most promising was a modified Incra gauge where I basically reversed the roles of the miter bar and fence by bolting the fence to the ACE channel on the guide rail but it was bulky and awkward to attach and remove.

For crown, base trim, etc. I still go to my SCMS. For picture frames, I prefer my miter sled on the TS. However, for sheet goods, EZSmart is my best tool hands down, as is the SSRK for dadoes, flutes, and grooves.

In theory, if one tool that does it all was the answer, we'd all own a shopsmith. For me, having separate, dedicated tools makes for a much better workflow.
Agreed

I did a majority of the trim on my flip with a chop saw. The right tool makes the difference. Sometimes different tools can do a task, just not as efficiently. For sheet goods EZ is unequaled IMHO.

Most recent flip if interested. http://www.estately.com/listings/inf...e-126th-ave--3

Justin
Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp View Post
Congrats on getting up and running! I have to say, though, the legs you have on there make me extremely nervous. If you stack too much wood on there and/or give that thing a shove, I'm afraid you'll be spending more time at the hospital than the shop.

I would suggest building some sturdier legs out of lumber. You can use hanger bolts and still screw them in, then bolt on some cross supports with butterfly screws for easy disassembly.
He he, it looks worse than it is, but I see your point.

Justin