The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 11-25-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Have Power Bench or EZ-One but Still Use a Table Saw

My wife is asking me if I want a table saw (like the Bosch 4100) for Christmas. I'm not sure.

I find myself wondering how many Power Bench or EZ-One owners still use a table saw?

If you do use a table saw, what do you use it for?

Ken K
Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 PM

I do for ripping long stock (I do a lot of moulding in remodelling my house).

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 11-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Default Table saw

Yes I use my table saw ripping like Dik mentions and for certain processes like cutting miter joints for jewelry boxes. I use a sled and match all four corners. For breaking down sheet goods-- the EZ system can't be beat! My son sold his commercial panel saw, because the Journeyman or the EZ1 were better, faster, and more accurate than the panel saw. Plus they are portable where the panel saw is not! I use my table saw for very special set ups that I do not know how to set up any other way.
I still use my double bevel glider chop saw, and my router table. I have no reluctance to keep and use them. However! On the job site the EZ tools can do tasks that you can not use full size tools on site. The table saw is 600 lbs. and the Journeyman is 50lbs. With that weight, and half dozen stairs . . . I can find a way to make my flexible EZ1 fill the bill.

Please understand that I use the term "I" liberally and it really means my son and daughter do the work. I found the system and spent several years pushing them to try it. Now it is their idea and gee "Pops" too bad you couldn't have bought this years ago! Yup! Dumb ole' Dad.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:24 PM

Like the others, I still use a TS for long rips and I still prefer my sled for some tasks, not because it's safer - just faster. I have a portable TS that I still drag to the job site about 1/3 of the time but I don't have a portable PBB. I'm still using sawhorse tables that I screw together at each job and it works well since I pretty much limit myself to repair work on site and actual construction in the shop.

In the shop, my stationary PBB is faster and easier than my cabinet saw. It has a fence with a measure built in similar to a miter saw fence as well as a flip stop.

The Bosch 4100 is a nice saw but not my first choice. The gravity rise stand is excellent, the saw is nice but I don't trust the fence.

For a portable TS, I really like the Dewalt 7491 and it's in the same price range as the Bosch. The fence is gear driven and dead-on and has 32.5" crosscut capacity. The fence also has a two position flip over support that's very cool. If you don't need portability but do need to move it out of the way, there are some nice hybrids that are better still for the same or just a little more cost. The extra weight and power means safer more accurate work.

What a great dilemma! Good luck!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:54 AM

Default table saw still used

Since I had two table saws before I got started with EZSmart. I still use the table saws and I don't envision ever not using them. Like others have said ripping long material, table saw with a riving knife is the only accurate way to go.

Marty