The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Default EZ-One and Racor Heavy Lift

Full credit to Mike Goetzke for his idea of using a Racor Heavy Lift for lifting his DIY PBB for ceiling storage. When I saw those photos, I knew I needed to do something similar to free up some space in my garage. I plan on getting rid of my tablesaw this summer. Anyway, I bought an EZ-One and a Heavy Lift. I got it all together today and made a video of the lowering and assembly process. I have only done it a couple times, so I'm sure my time will get better, but it took me about 8 minutes from storage to fully assembled. Not too bad!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY9Kfjepw1U

I still plan on replacing the nuts that hold the legs to the frame and the nuts that connect the feet to the legs with wingnuts so I don't have to use a wrench for assembly.

Last edited by jswingchun; 01-30-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Very good idea!

Mine is still on the wire rack that came with it and I just drop it on a set of horses (saves 7 minutes). I like the idea of only using the bars. I think I will steal that idea but fasten them to the EZ-One frame. I recently bought a set of legs from Dino so I could move the EZ to the center of the garage and when I get time was going to figure out a way to make them fold up.

Mike
Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 PM

Nice job good idea, For me its out I don't even have a garage to play in.
But if I did would like this idea.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Master Carpenter

With plenty of credit to mike, I may have to make one for the shop.
Looking at the way the lift system works and with the extra height (20+ feet)
we don't even have to remove the legs.

Now we have to order 4 lifts.
What is the price and lift capacity? ( weight )

------------------------------------

Js, you make it look very easy.
That was military stuff.
I like the win nuts and the way you made the braces. ( 1" oversized)

If you want you can easily make the legs foldable and keed the braces
in place. No need to remove them if you make a slot on the wood
or use b2b's for braces. I like wood better.
Easier to screw stuff and modify.
If you have any ideas to make it better, please, let us know.

How about the cuts? easy? square? accurate?
Yes, I'm looking for feedbacks and "problems".

One thing is missing from the ez-one and we're working on a nice solution.
Don't spend your money or waste your space on old methods and tools.
I like to be able to cut longer than 50" wood and I have no space
for another setup.

Thanks for the video. Very well executed.
Crazy yankees.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM

@Dino:

@ $137.94 on Amazon.com. I think that' s the best price you can get.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Master Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyguy2005 View Post
@Dino:

@ $137.94 on Amazon.com. I think that' s the best price you can get.
thanks.
The price is right.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 AM

Default folding legs

Yes Dino JS did a really good job on that one and would like to find out the price also for the lift.
Now you said the legs could be made to fold well that would be good even
without the lift to have not sure how you do this more info would be good to have. I also think B2B is a good idea instead of wood nothing against wood and Dino maybe right that its better. But I think to keep the extrusion theme going also would look great. Sutch an awsome power bench.
I must say being able to remove a few things like the track and the long ssme then folding legs and stand it against the wall would be a good thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 AM

Default lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
thanks.
The price is right.
Very good price wow.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

Looks good. I've wondered about using a drill or impact driver, set in the lowest setting for running the nuts down.

If room, Ace hardware tends to have knobs that go around a regular nut and make it into a knob (either star or T nut style).

How long are the official legs? Long ago, on the crosscutter, Dino used 2x legs cut at an angle. My father may do that (2x scrap is normally findable), if he does the lift thing (tight on space).
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM

Super long reply below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
Mine is still on the wire rack that came with it and I just drop it on a set of horses (saves 7 minutes).
If I had made a DIY bench, that's what I would have done too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
I like the idea of only using the bars. I think I will steal that idea but fasten them to the EZ-One frame.
The one issue you are going to run into, and you can kinda see it in the video, is that when there is no weight on the bars, the cables don't wind correctly when you raise them up out of the way after you remove the PB. The cables cross over each other and then wind unevenly. They also will sometimes pop out of the pulleys. I am going to figure out something to fix all this, still have to work on it. Might be as simple as draping some sandbags over the bars before raising them back up.

Quote:
With plenty of credit to mike, I may have to make one for the shop.
Looking at the way the lift system works and with the extra height (20+ feet)
we don't even have to remove the legs.

Now we have to order 4 lifts.
What is the price and lift capacity? ( weight )
I don't know if they will work with a 20+ foot ceiling height. I don't know if the cables are long enough, and I don't think you could add a longer cable, I don't think the spindle design would support it. Spicyguy was right that Amazon has the best price, that's where I ordered mine. Capacity is 250 pounds.

Quote:
Js, you make it look very easy.
That was military stuff.
I like the win nuts and the way you made the braces. ( 1" oversized)
Thanks, I realized if I was going to be taking the legs on and off I needed to make it easy. I had to oversize the braces because the holes were so large for the 5/16" bolt, and so close to the edges that they split. It isn't easy to slide that bolt head into the edge of the SME, I want to think of something better there. Also, if I was thinking, I would have offset where I put the connector extrusions on the long braces and the bolt holes on the side braces. One on the top edge of the brace and one on the bottom edge of the brace would have made them go in easier. I may still do that.

Quote:
If you want you can easily make the legs foldable and keed the braces in place. No need to remove them if you make a slot on the wood or use b2b's for braces.
I'm not sure I get how I could make them foldable. I will look at it tonight, but if you have any ideas, share!

Quote:
If you have any ideas to make it better, please, let us know.
I have mentioned this before, but quality, step by step, professional instructions with photos would make this better. I didn't have any problems putting mine together using Tombrad's instructions, but I spend a lot of time on the forum and knew his instructions were up there. If my dad bought one of these, he would not be able to assemble it. He wouldn't know to look on the forum, he wouldn't even know there was a forum. This thing should come with GREAT instructions. Mine didn't have any instructions at all.

I offered to create some instructions a couple of months ago and that offer still stands. I will tear my EZ-One apart this weekend and document putting it all back together for a RipSizer.

Quote:
How about the cuts? easy? square? accurate?
Yes, I'm looking for feedbacks and "problems".
I can't really comment too much about this yet because I haven't done much. I just cut some ply for making the sliding inserts. That went fine, but I haven't cut enough to report. For me the biggest trick will bevel cuts, that is the only thing I will be doing that will be outside of the "normal" stuff everyone else does on the EZ-One. For speaker building we do a lot of bevel cuts. I already know I will NOT be angling the bridge. That seems like it would be WAY too much work to do each time I want a bevel cut. Once I figure out the best ways for me to do that I can do another video.

Quote:
One thing is missing from the ez-one and we're working on a nice solution.
I will be very curious to see what you have cooking...

Quote:
Thanks for the video. Very well executed.
Crazy yankees.
No problemo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
Looks good. I've wondered about using a drill or impact driver, set in the lowest setting for running the nuts down.

If room, Ace hardware tends to have knobs that go around a regular nut and make it into a knob (either star or T nut style).
I'm not sure what you mean "running the nuts down". Are you talking for the legs? If so, the wingnuts work really well and are cheap.