The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 AM

Default My first PBB

OK, here's pictures of my first PBB. It's made with 2x4s and 2x6s with an MDF top. It's 48" long and 30" wide. A 72" track is attached to the bridge which is bolted to the 2x6. I was able to get the track square to the top which made it easy to add fencing by just screwing 2x4 scraps to the front while I was cutting 2x4s for some shelving.

To get the 2x6s, I had to buy a 2x12x8 and rip it with my track system. It was awesome to know that I could rip an 8' long board with my 72" and 54" tracks attached together.

The first thing I did with the PBB was crosscut 4 sheets of OSB into 4' x 2' sheets for shelving. My 13 year old son helped and we went through all four sheets in no time. He measured and marked on one end and I on the other and then we lowered the bridge and make minute adjustments to line up our marks. He enjoyed running the saw and I liked it because it's SO much safer than working a table saw.

I think I'll add another piece of MDF to the top and move the bridge to the side, probably the left, but I'd take suggestions. I want more space on the top to assemble things and having it run more or less down the middle causes problems. I also think I'd like to make some wings on the sides that I can set up when working with larger materials so someone doesn't have to hold up an 8' 2x4 or sheet of plywood while making initial cuts.

All in all, I'm very pleased and look forward to further customizing my PBB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0489.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	6651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0490.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	6652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0491.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	6653  
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Nice looking bench. My one suggestion would be to put 24-30" SME on each end. This will allow you to move the bridge easier.

Joe
Old 05-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Joe,

I did buy 4' of SME to use for mounting the bridge, but then I thought "How often would I be moving this?" and decided to just bolt it directly to the table.

So, how often do you guys end up moving your bridge around? I'm still thinking that if I moved it over to the left, I'd probably just leave it there.

Brian
Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM

I have an EZ-one frame but after I squared the bridge I move it exactly never.
Adjusting for square to frame (90 stop), parallel to fence, and true vertical travel is not worth it for an odd or oversize cut.

I use rip-sizer or free rails for odd/oversize cuts.

-Brian
Old 05-12-2015, 03:36 PM

On my EZ-One I never move the bridge. However, when I had my PBB set up I did move it from time to time, especially when it was doubling as a workbench surface and I need just a little more room. However, I have also just removed the track and left the bridge itself in place to have access to the whole surface.

Joe
Old 05-12-2015, 05:00 PM

What a great, practical bench! It sounds like you are having fun with the EZ stuff, and great you can let your son help. Building stuff can be really fun.

Unlike others, I move my bridge a lot. I keep it close to the left side of the bench for ripping, but when I want to use it with the SSRK, or sometimes other cuts, I move it to various other locations, depending on the job. I don't worry about squaring the whole table, but rather squaring the fence to the track. This is quite easy to do if you add an SME. There may be some threads about this on the forum.

I like it on the left side, since I'm right-handed and can easily walk and guide it down the length of the table for rip cuts, or at either end for cross cuts. Usually the far end of the table with a stop (fence) at the end.

I use a large Empire rafter (speed) square from Home Depot. I checked it for square in the store before I bought it. Sometimes I use a larger square that I made from plywood referencing it off a large drafting triangle. The large die-cut plastic drafting triangle is very, very square and quite inexpensive. But it's slippery so I like the large plywood squares I made from it since they are easier to handle. If you have a store that carries drafting/art supplies, they probably have them. I got mine here http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-triangles/ I got the 18" size I use these squaring things all the time for setup and checking setup. Squaring with these things very very quick once you get the hang of it. I hang them right next to the workbench so they are always there.

My "workshop" is quite small, an 8'x11' room, so I only use one side of the table, the other is too close to the wall. Obviously my EZ one gets used for everything, especially in winter. One thing I do, in addition to moving the bridge is to detach the track from one end of the bridge, slide it to the other end and just stand it on end on the floor, still attached to the bridge. That way I can use the whole work surface for assembly, sanding, etc. This changeover is quick and takes just a minute once you are used to it. Since both sides of the bridge stay fixed, theoretically, you should not have to resquare it. I always check it, though.

Last edited by Goblu; 05-12-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add more
Old 05-12-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celttechie View Post
I think I'll add another piece of MDF to the top and move the bridge to the side, probably the left, but I'd take suggestions. I want more space on the top to assemble things and having it run more or less down the middle causes problems. I also think I'd like to make some wings on the sides that I can set up when working with larger materials so someone doesn't have to hold up an 8' 2x4 or sheet of plywood while making initial cuts.
@celtttechie,

I built a roll-around work cart/PBB a few years ago; story and photos here. I designed it with the bridge offset several inches right of center. As you've found with yours, that is in the way a lot of times. I added fold-down wings (see last photo in last post) on both ends, originally to hold a rough DIY router table of sorts. One of these days, I'll modify the right-hand wing to have several of the features of an EZ-1 (I call it my EZ-1/3 to be); I have all the right extrusions to build it out, just need to nail down the design.

Roy
Old 12-06-2015, 12:26 AM

Celtttechie,
I was wondering which changes, if any, you've made to your PBB since you originally posted? I've been reading all the other posts I've found on PBBs, and I'm liking your set-up the best for my first go-around. I'm brand-new to the scene, but ready to start churning out a bunch of shelving, radiator covers, and molding repairs during my holiday break from work, so I need to nail down a design and start planning.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Very nice. Will this table intended to be moved from job site to job site or stay in your shop?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerlulz View Post
Celtttechie,
I was wondering which changes, if any, you've made to your PBB since you originally posted? I've been reading all the other posts I've found on PBBs, and I'm liking your set-up the best for my first go-around. I'm brand-new to the scene, but ready to start churning out a bunch of shelving, radiator covers, and molding repairs during my holiday break from work, so I need to nail down a design and start planning.
Holy cow, guess I haven't been on here for a long time. Sorry!

The only change I made was to move the bridge about 6" from the left side. I found myself cutting pieces with the majority of the material on the right for the majority of the time, and I wanted more space to use it as an actually bench and not just a cutting table. EDIT: actually, I realized my casters weren't on in that picture either. To make it easier to move in and out of my garage, I put a set of these on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX3T2LO

Other than that, I didn't change anything else. It's been basic and useful.

Last edited by celttechie; 06-13-2016 at 11:47 PM.