The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 11-24-2015, 12:58 PM

Default variation on a theme.....

Nothing new; just a variation on a theme.

I've been wanting a smaller version of my PBB (power bench) for a while. My larger PBB is 17" x 51"; is completely surrounded by EZ track; expandable, via slide-in modules, to 8'; light weight; rugged; etc. Utilizing modified bridges, it is infinitely adjustable, including angled work; rapid set-up/take-down; very portable; etc. I have yet to find a woodworking task I haven't been able to adapt the PBB to help me do. I wanted this smaller PBB to incorporate as many of these features as possible.

A few weeks ago, one of my in-laws contacted me re. table saws. In the course of discussing my history with table saws, I brought up about track saws. One thing led to another, and I agreed to 'loan' them a usable track saw system so they could decide if the track saw concept would be something they might prefer over a table saw. Since I didn't have anything to loan at that moment, I decided to jump into making the mini PBB and let them use it. Here are pics of the first version.

Pic one shows the PBB with two extensions nesting inside of it: small and light enough to be easily stored and transported. Overall dimensions are 17" x 21" x 10" tall; slide-in bridges are shown stored in the top.

Pic two shows one possible set-up, w/extensions installed. Length is now 49"; had I rotated the end extension 90˚, it would be 53". Most of the time, I will only need the 17 x 21 core table, but having the option to expand to cut 4' material is nice. Extensions slide in, and can be mounted on any side of the PBB core, as well as mounted to each other.

Pic three shows a # of things: angle-cut set-up; adjustable, sliding set-up; side clamping; end stops. Because everything is adjustable, it is easy to slide the bridges over to the edge; hang/support material on the side of the PBB; perform cutting or routing. Need to do mortise/tenon? no prob- again, hang everything over the side, set-up the SSRK (EZ router kit), go to work. Etc. The only limitation is ones imagination. In the bottom side of the top of the PBB, I installed T-nut inserts to be able to easily set up stops, guides, whatever, from the top side. In the pic, I'm using one of those t-nuts to clamp a framing square for doing angles.

Pic four shows one potential set-up for someone who might be doing a lot of rip-then-crosscuts- when making cabinet face frames, for example.

Everyone's needs for a work bench are different- I've found what works for me; feel free to offer suggestions for improvement.
Thanks,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb stacked.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	6733   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb assembled.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	6734   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb set up.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	6735   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini pbb rip:crosscut.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	6736  
Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM

Rick,

Now that is what I call portable...

Dik

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpnstump View Post
Nothing new; just a variation on a theme.

I've been wanting a smaller version of my PBB (power bench) for a while. My larger PBB is 17" x 51"; is completely surrounded by EZ track; expandable, via slide-in modules, to 8'; light weight; rugged; etc. Utilizing modified bridges, it is infinitely adjustable, including angled work; rapid set-up/take-down; very portable; etc. I have yet to find a woodworking task I haven't been able to adapt the PBB to help me do. I wanted this smaller PBB to incorporate as many of these features as possible.

A few weeks ago, one of my in-laws contacted me re. table saws. In the course of discussing my history with table saws, I brought up about track saws. One thing led to another, and I agreed to 'loan' them a usable track saw system so they could decide if the track saw concept would be something they might prefer over a table saw. Since I didn't have anything to loan at that moment, I decided to jump into making the mini PBB and let them use it. Here are pics of the first version.

Pic one shows the PBB with two extensions nesting inside of it: small and light enough to be easily stored and transported. Overall dimensions are 17" x 21" x 10" tall; slide-in bridges are shown stored in the top.

Pic two shows one possible set-up, w/extensions installed. Length is now 49"; had I rotated the end extension 90˚, it would be 53". Most of the time, I will only need the 17 x 21 core table, but having the option to expand to cut 4' material is nice. Extensions slide in, and can be mounted on any side of the PBB core, as well as mounted to each other.

Pic three shows a # of things: angle-cut set-up; adjustable, sliding set-up; side clamping; end stops. Because everything is adjustable, it is easy to slide the bridges over to the edge; hang/support material on the side of the PBB; perform cutting or routing. Need to do mortise/tenon? no prob- again, hang everything over the side, set-up the SSRK (EZ router kit), go to work. Etc. The only limitation is ones imagination. In the bottom side of the top of the PBB, I installed T-nut inserts to be able to easily set up stops, guides, whatever, from the top side. In the pic, I'm using one of those t-nuts to clamp a framing square for doing angles.

Pic four shows one potential set-up for someone who might be doing a lot of rip-then-crosscuts- when making cabinet face frames, for example.

Everyone's needs for a work bench are different- I've found what works for me; feel free to offer suggestions for improvement.
Thanks,
Rick
WOW! Inspiring. I remember your original version, I had to sit there and stare until it occurred to me how you connected the boxes. Now it's portable, genius.

Justin
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grins View Post
WOW! Inspiring. I remember your original version, I had to sit there and stare until it occurred to me how you connected the boxes. Now it's portable, genius.
Thanks, Justin.

I had this mini-PBB (custom made power bench) out on two jobs this week. The first one involved cutting varied angle cuts; in the pic, you can see it set up for a 7 1/2˚ cut. Going from 90˚ to other angle cuts is just a matter of loosening the knob at the speed square, rotating to the desired angle, refastening the knob, cut- it's almost as fast as my SCMS (sliding compound miter saw)- and it weighs about half of what the SCMS does.

The second job involved cutting lots of plywood and spacers to redo the interiors of kitchen cabinets in order to install large, full-extension, pull-out drawers. (Sorry, no pics.....) I started out by using a small, slide-in extension on the far end of the core PBB to allow the bridge to span 30" (cuts ~21" normally). Later, when I got into cross-cutting longer pieces of ply, I slid an extension in on the left side to help support the plywood. The whole affair sat comfortably on a couple of collapsable saw horses. There is no way I could have completed the job in a day's time without the PBB. Plus, since I had to transport everything in the car (ie. limited space), being able to minimize transport space was key; once I got to the job, set up and take down was fast. The 94 yr. old gentleman, for whom I did the work, was totally fascinated at the whole set-up and it's operation- commented that they certainly didn't have anything like that when he was younger....... lol.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBB-  mini.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	6820  
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 AM

Very cool! Glad to see you have a way to cut angles/miters that worked for you and, maybe best of all, a compact portable rig that sets up quickly for the working man.