The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Power Benches

Old 03-25-2016, 12:47 AM

Default Thoughts on EZ Journeyman?

I was glad to see the new EZSMART Journeyman. I would like to see a video demonstration emphasizing setup, takedown, and squaring the track.

I had to look twice at the price but after thinking it through realized that this can be had with an EZ ready Makita 5007 for about $250 less than the popular German system. So, it's a deal. Or is it?

Any thoughts? Anyone bought one or considering one? Reviews, evaluations, please?
Old 03-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Journeyman

I too am interested in this new product, particular in a manner than compares and contrasts it with the EZ-One Woodworking Center, other than the obvious larger size of the latter.

Might some of its folding leg features be transferable to the EZ-One Woodworking Center? You see, I don't need portability like the Journeyman might offer a contractor, but rather, simply the ability to more easily fold my EZ-One Woodworking Center up, in place, and hand it up on a nearby wall every now and then.

Many thanks.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:43 PM

When I first saw it on the EZ website I thought the Journeyman sounded like a pretty good deal. A couple hundred dollars cheaper than a EZ1 but still capable of crosscutting 48". From what little is shown the folding leg mechanism looks nice.
Kinda weird, EZ does these stealth intros of new products. Just sticks them on their website and doesn't tell anyone. I guess that might work.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Journeyman

I made a post about it two weeks ago. I have one on order. I was told "about 2 weeks out " about a week ago. So it should be here soon.

I will give it a complete run through, and give as much information as I can, after I actually have one. Until then it is going to be a challenge to state any thing with accuracy.

From what I have seen so far, this team wants to do a great job. I suspect that the company wants to be sure everything is ready to ship as fast and trouble free as possible -- before the BIG announcement. Still I can only guess as I am not in the inner workings at EurekaZone. We do have hope as things are looking up and promising.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:22 PM

I'm really looking forward to your hands on review, Phillip!

Being able to fold it up/ be portable is a big plus for me whether I needed it at a job site or just needed to make space in my shop. For reasons already stated by several and not just because it's less expensive, for now, I can see it outselling the EZ1.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:55 AM

It looks great.

I see that it is only capable of 4' rip cuts. I wonder why. Any other limitations or omissions?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:42 PM

You can crosscut 48" or the width or a sheet of ply. How wide a material do you want to cut?

I see that it is only capable of 4' rip cuts. I wonder why. Any other limitations or omissions?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smozes View Post
It looks great.

I see that it is only capable of 4' rip cuts. I wonder why. Any other limitations or omissions?
Hmm, additional limitations ...

Depth of cut of your saw/blade. I think most of the EZ Ready saws - used on the track - will have a depth of cut just over 1.5 inches, EXCEPT for the Hitachi (nice saw, but dept of cut is just shy of 1.5 inches by maybe 1/64 or 1/32 - easily cuts with a sharp knife). The Makita 5008MGA - with the 8-1/4" blade - has a deeper depth of cut, but I don't know how deep it is. I do wish EurekaZone would publish the on-track and off-track depths of cut for each of the saws they sell - with the stock (as sold) blades.

Some feel that bevel cuts (with the blade tilted) are a weakness of the EZ Smart tracks. They CAN be done, but because of the nature of the typical circular saw the blade will not line up with the anti-chip edge as it does with a non-beveled cut. You'd have to use the "other" groove in the EZ Smart Base. Personally, I don't want to tear up the cross rails doing bevel cuts so I think I'd rather do them with a separate track and clamps - off of the EZ One.

As you look through the posts on this forum you'll quickly see that biggest limitation of the EZ Smart system is ... your imagination. We have people on the forum that should be awarded the EurekaZone Medal of Honor for the crazy cool things they come up with using the EZ Smart components. They are EZ Smart Artists indeed. I tried to come up with a title that gives the acronym EZ Smart ASSes (Artistic, Supportive, S...), but I too struggle with a weak imagination.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:40 PM

Longer rips is what the UEG is for...

Dik Harrison
Former Consultant to EurekaZone

Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models
Old 04-09-2016, 05:01 PM

Like Dik mentioned, the UEG is a lot better for longer rips. Also, I suspect the Journeyman can convert to a multiform table as easily as the EZ1 using the same kit.